Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Michael Jordan in Today's League: Better or Worse?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaniiiia
    He's be behind Durant and LeBron for sure.

Probably behind AD

I see him in the tier with Harden, Westbrook, and Paul

Jordan played in the most watered down league in history in terms of perimeter talent. There were a couple decent big men but they were all soft losers..non intimidating bums who couldn't win in any era. Jordan played with the most stacked teams and arguably the GOAT coach too...

LeBron and Durant do it by themselves essentially. Jordan was playing with teams winning damn near 60 games without him.

FOH.

FOH indeed.

And as far as I know, this man LeBron has yet to issue a formal, public apology to Mr. Whistle for costing him his 4th ring and 2nd Finals MVP in 2011.

Parker's volume isn't even close to Jordan's, and Wade's has dropped a ton since he teamed up with LBJ.

Not the greatest comparison tbh
    MJ, Wade, Parker have all won multiple championships, finals MVPs, scoring titles, etc while all taking 1.4-1.7 3s/gm and all averaged above 49% FG for their careers, having shot 50-55% FG multiple times. Regardless of era, rules, etc.

But if MJ played today, he'd be forced to play like Steph Curry.

OK.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    MJ, Wade, Parker have all won multiple championships, finals MVPs, scoring titles, etc while all taking 1.4-1.7 3s/gm and all averaged above 49% FG for their careers, having shot 50-55% FG multiple times. Regardless of era, rules, etc.

But if MJ played today, he'd be forced to play like Steph Curry.

OK.
    Wade and Parker have substantially less volume, so I'm not sure why you're repeating what you just posted.

How many threes do you think he would take, and how many scoring titles would he grab over KD? To me KD is already one of the greatest scorers of all-time, and basically in the same tier (scoring) with MJ.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by juju151111
    Mj was playing in a team ball. Bro he wasn't holding the ball like LJ. Go look at the Bulls they averaged 20+ asts
    Apparently 'team ball' = one dude dribbling around the top of the key for 20 sec. while the other 4 guys clear out and watch and then the ball being passed out for a bail out shot.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by catch24
    I already said dude would be the best player, and you're still getting sensitive. Give the stanning a rest.
    No it not about that. This is just discussion i usually have with people here and they never can actually prove their case. Can 02 Kobe play in todays league. That was 13 years ago. When the defense was superior. The points you guys are giving to why his stats would decrease or increase makes no sense

NBA rookie of the year

About the same, probably a little easier though.

You can't body up like the Pistons or Knicks of the 80s/90s tried to do, so that's out, and there's not nearly as many 7 foot giants like Hakeem, Mutombo, DRob, Ewing, Shaq, etc. waiting at the rim to challenge your shot.

There's no one that I've seen who's as fast as he is a 6 foot 6 in the league. Not with the explosive start/stop first step.

As long as he has that, combined with the leaping ability, he can get his shot off in virtually any era. That's just basically a fact based on his physical attributes.

You can't stop the guy from getting his shot off, and given his basketball I.Q. it was usually a high quality shot.

I think maybe he'd be a little bit stronger because athletes today have access to better supplements and training is more sophisticated than it was 20-25 years ago.

Jordan is an any era player. He would dominate in any time, any era, against any competition.

Very good NBA starter

Apparently 'team ball' = one dude dribbling around the top of the key for 20 sec. while the other 4 guys clear out and watch and then the ball being passed out for a bail out shot.
    Apparent so

Very good NBA starter

Wade and Parker have substantially less volume, so I'm not sure why you're repeating what you just posted.

How many threes do you think he would take, and how many scoring titles would he grab over KD? To me KD is already one of the greatest scorers of all-time, and basically in the same tier (scoring) with MJ.
    What about 09 and 10 Wade in terms of volume. He did it fine against them.

He would suck. Hand checking was actually beneficial for the offensive player and only smart people realize this and I don't see how good spacing would benefit an athletic perimeter player from getting to the basket.

It's a lot easier when there is hand checking allowed, with less spacing and hard fouls are allowed.

Jesus people are stupid. MJ wouldn't be able to handle the NBA today.

Banned

We saw team ball when MJ left and they won 60 games without him.

Unfortunately for LeBron he was surrounded by the likes of Matthew Dellavedova, Iman Shumpert, JR smith, Tristan Thompson, and Tim Mozgov.

You try playing team ball with these dudes against the best offense/defense in the league and they get bodied by 30 in every game.

LeBron winning 2 games against Golden State is more impressive than most of Jordans rings. And that's just reality.

I know you Jordan stans don't do well with context though, so carry on with your lame outdated agenda...

Banned

Prime Wade from '05-'06: 27 PPG, 20 FGA, 2.3 3A/gm (11.5% of his shots), 48.7% FG *Championship, 2006 Finals MVP*

Past prime MJ from '95-'98: 30 PPG, 23 FGA, 2.8 3A/gm (c. 12% of his shots), 48.2% FG *3 Championships, '96, '97, '98 Finals MVP*

What are you not understanding here? No one is being forced to chuck 3s against their will. Certain players, teams/coaches just prefer to try to get their points that way. Other players, teams/coaches... multiple time champions in this era, go about it in another way.

Yeah, KD is a great scorer and all but he's not on Jordan's level FOH. Dude gets muscled out of the post by the 6'4" Tony Allen for f*ckssake. Hell of a 3 and FT shooter though. That always helps the ole TS%. Dude barely eeked out one of his scoring titles against a washed up Kobe.

Jordan would take full advantage of the fact that no one would be allowed to touch him or physically impede him and would drive, post up, hit the mid range like he always did (and a smaller, less talented player like Wade has done). With Harden-like or D-Whistle era FTr, he'd push 40 PPG on a shitty squad.

But I'm sure DPOY/First team all NBA center Joakim Noah would have something to say about it.

Last edited by DonDadda59; 09-23-2015 at 12:31 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vaniiiia
    We saw team ball when MJ left and they won 60 games without him.

Unfortunately for LeBron he was surrounded by the likes of Matthew Dellavedova, Iman Shumpert, JR smith, Tristan Thompson, and Tim Mozgov.

You try playing team ball with these dudes against the best offense/defense in the league and they get bodied by 30 in every game.

LeBron winning 2 games against Golden State is more impressive than most of Jordans rings. And that's just reality.

I know you Jordan stans don't do well with context though, so carry on with your lame outdated agenda...

There should be 2 pictures of this. Thanks a lot, LeObama

Same, but different. His game from his era would work but not the same way. If he embraced this era's style though maybe even better.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by juju151111
    Bro what iare you talking about? They didn't change the rules in 2011 and that same Wade destroyed Boston in the playoffs in 2010. Their out of this world defense didn't work then huh?
    Did I say rules were changed in 11?

He was placed in the most perfect situation both a great team and weak competition. I think placed in this era, he would be a demar derozan with slightly better shooting.

so something like 25/5/5 on 47% shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    worse

this is a shooters league

the paint is clogged

PGs are the main ball dominant guys now

team flow and less isolation

less coaches willing to allow mid range game

back to the basket post up games are obsolete

jordans lack of outside shooting and unselfishness would hurt him

nobodies allowed to average 32-33ppg anymore. and jordan wants to lead the nba every year in scoring

This fool here.

this is a shooters league
    And MJ wasn't a shooter?

the paint is clogged
    Are you serious? Centers could camp in the paint back in MJ's day. Now, the 3-second defensive rule eliminates that, making it easier for wing players to penetrate. MJ would feast on that shit.

PGs are the main ball dominant guys now
    So?

team flow and less isolation
    Not with ball dominant guys like Lebron and CP3

less coaches willing to allow mid range game
    Because players can't shoot for shit today.

back to the basket post up games are obsolete
    Which says a lot about how shit has deteriorated in the League.

jordans lack of outside shooting and unselfishness would hurt him
    MJ was smart enough to not have to rely on jacking up 3's, unlike Kobe and many of today's wing players. And I don't see how being unselfish hurts MJ.

nobodies allowed to average 32-33ppg anymore. and jordan wants to lead the nba every year in scoring
    You don't allow the GOAT to do anything. He just does. And he wins.

And like MJ said years ago, scoring is easy--8 points a quarter and he's at his average (during his prime years).