Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Have any of you watch Larry Bird play? Not that impressive...

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz
    Because they had to get through Dr J, Barkley and Moses in Philly...... then the Bad Boy Pistons.

In the finals they had to deal with Magic, Kareem and Worthy.
    Bro he's only used to competition like Lowry/Teague/Reggie Jackson/Kemba/Roy Hibbert every single year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo
    Uhm....Bill Walton played 90 total games for the Boston Celtics.
    Manny's a plant. The last 4 posts quoting his dumb ass comment will inspire another 3 pages of comments. Mission accomplished as far as Jeff is concerned.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    Yeah, and I think it's started to come back around since the super team era started to happen. Not for everybody, but they guys who've gone to join these types of teams seem to have developed more instinct. But the number of guys still leaving for "their own team", or "more touches", to me is still an indicator.

I don't think it's entirely the fault of the players either. When the rosters started to thin, the fact was that we went through a stretch where if so and so didn't score a ton on any given night, the team had no chance, so that's what it was.

I also think money has something to do with it too. Putting together rosters now seem to just require more cheap young talent, and since the young has gotten younger, there are just fewer guys on the roster who seem to know how to play, so they're coached into those micro roles.

We did kind of see Toronto do it this year. There's a lot of similarities between Gasol and Celtics Bill Walton. But how many teams are filling that Gasol role he had with some younger cheaper guy? They can sell the fact that if you were scouting Gasol vs. some younger big, a cheap, some kid on the come who's more athletic, but at the end of the day those guys have come up being the best player on their teams forever, and wind up having no idea how to play outside that role. The AAU scene doesn't help either with this development. If you're good enough to be on a real travel team, if there's someone on your team better than you, it's not hard to find another team where you can be the man. It's kind of destroyed fit. And now you're seeing it in actual High Schools. Kids transfer two or three times over four years of high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    Manny's a plant. The last 4 posts quoting his dumb ass comment will inspire another 3 pages of comments. Mission accomplished as far as Jeff is concerned.
    Manny, RRR, all these dudes lmao.

It's nice that their group is getting smaller and smaller, though. The hype is dissipating.

Bird was very Kawhi-like in that he wouldn't see the ball during stretches... you see , my little shitspawn, you cute little shitspawn... before Jordan was given the ball mercilessly BECAUSE HE WOULD SCORE AT A HIGHER PERCENTAGE THAN ANYONE ELSE AND LED THE LEAGUE IN SCORING 10+ YEARS, teams would share the ball, creating good TEAMS.

After Jordan, THE LEAGUE started GLORIFYING players that CONTROLLED THE BALL to make them MORE MARKETABLE to the MTV generation, etc.

This led to BRANBALL and it's EXPLOITATION

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

a 24-10-6 on almost 50% FG perimeter player not impressive? He wasn't a very athletic or a dunker but his fundamentals and skill level where off the charts. You can see many athletic guys in the NBA but most don't know how to play. Larry was the smartest player ever and one of the most skilled. And not to forget his b-ball iq, mental strenght, attitude and heart. Larry over Lebron in everything else not named athleticism.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post
    The other day I watched a full playoff game between Celtics and Lakers.

Certainly Bird was a great shooter and very fast passer. And like any other great player, he'd have his moments of greatness.

but

He'd have long stretches where he didn't even touch the ball. Like straight up they don't even include him for many possessions. Like he's Caldwell Pope or something. Wth is up with that.
    Not to mention his highlights just look so slow compared to the players of today. ESPN reposted some of his stuff recently and it was a little bit sad. Slim pickins for 80s and 90s day ball I suppose.

The evolution of basketball continues

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Not to mention his highlights just look so slow compared to the players of today. ESPN reposted some of his stuff recently and it was a little bit sad. Slim pickins for 80s and 90s day ball I suppose.

The evolution of basketball continues
    As your IQ plunges. The only thing sad and slow is you.

Very unimpressive

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post

Very unimpressive

Jeff needs to block posting from Asia.

Local High School Star baudkarma's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post
    The other day I watched a full playoff game between Celtics and Lakers.

Certainly Bird was a great shooter and very fast passer. And like any other great player, he'd have his moments of greatness.

but

He'd have long stretches where he didn't even touch the ball. Like straight up they don't even include him for many possessions. Like he's Caldwell Pope or something. Wth is up with that.
    Larry Bird appeared in 1061 NBA games. Perhaps you should watch more than one of them before you pass judgement on his entire career.

Very unimpressive
    32.2 Game Score in a Finals game, probably a top 50 all-time Finals game. #NotBad Top 10 is like 37.0 and above so his 32.2 falls into that top 40 ish range if we go back and include every other guy but not bad for a white dude with a mullet.

Bird gained some respect after this game.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Very unimpressive
    That was kinda insane when he beat out Hakeem for the jump ball. That sums up how Bird was. He found ways to do impossible things.

Jeff please ban the game score troll spammers. This is getting absurd.

Bird is more of an effect over time guy rather than being a highlight player.

He does have highlights but in general his game is more grounded and scrappy and gritty and not flashy.

Follow him over a season or over several seasons and you notice his tendency to consistently make winning plays.

What a ****ing stupid thread.