Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Re: Is Anthony Davis more like Karl Malone or Tim Duncan?

Neither

Those guys were elite iso players with several unstoppable pet moves that they'd mastered and could live off of

AD is a bird-fed fool that hasn't scratched the surface of his elite-potential iso game

But if I had to choose, ad is more like Malone because Malone was a PNR king, which AD does a lot of

A right handed Chris Bosh.

In terms of durability and playoff success Olowokandi is a much more apt comparison.

AD not yet reached the prime Mailman, Timmy and KG's level.

NBA rookie of the year Kingwillball's Avatar

AD is 26.. let that Sink in.. next 4-5 years are his actual prime. Lebron will bring his gm to another level.

Bron/Brady not top 10 Mr.GOAT2408's Avatar

More like a lesser KG

He's about to enter his absolute best years so that could change

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I like the Garnett comp best. You can make the case he's a better scorer than Garnett, but Garnett did put up 9 straight 21+ seasons in a row when the game was being played a slower pace. And he's a true defensive anchor the way Garnett was, and in a similar way, as a super switchable cover ground type defender, as opposed to the more sit and occupy style Duncan was more like.

I also think his offensive game is closer to the Garnett model than Duncan's which isn't really a compliment. Scoring numbers are great, but I made the case back when Duncan and Garnett were playing, a ton of Garnett's points came by beating guys up the court, or just being an elite rebounder and getting easy second chance points. AD and KG both stretch the floor, AD a bit better, and both got off shots over guys, but neither had or have the footwork to consistently create shots and foul opportunities in traffic the way Duncan did, and to me that's what makes Duncan the better offensive player when it matters.

Karl Malone is one of the most overrated players ever. He's got so little footwork he's relying on a couple moves tops in the post, and relies a ton of jumpers, which he's great at, but just couldn't create enough shots for himself when it matters. Very dependent on the pick and roll kick to midrange jumper. To me a worse version of the offensive games AD and KG had. And in addition he's just not a good defender at that PF position.

Extra Suped up Rasheed Wallace is not a terrible comp either for AD.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I like the Garnett comp best. You can make the case he's a better scorer than Garnett, but Garnett did put up 9 straight 21+ seasons in a row when the game was being played a slower pace. And he's a true defensive anchor the way Garnett was, and in a similar way, as a super switchable cover ground type defender, as opposed to the more sit and occupy style Duncan was more like.

I also think his offensive game is closer to the Garnett model than Duncan's which isn't really a compliment. Scoring numbers are great, but I made the case back when Duncan and Garnett were playing, a ton of Garnett's points came by beating guys up the court, or just being an elite rebounder and getting easy second chance points. AD and KG both stretch the floor, AD a bit better, and both got off shots over guys, but neither had or have the footwork to consistently create shots and foul opportunities in traffic the way Duncan did, and to me that's what makes Duncan the better offensive player when it matters.

Karl Malone is one of the most overrated players ever. He's got so little footwork he's relying on a couple moves tops in the post, and relies a ton of jumpers, which he's great at, but just couldn't create enough shots for himself when it matters. Very dependent on the pick and roll kick to midrange jumper. To me a worse version of the offensive games AD and KG had. And in addition he's just not a good defender at that PF position.

Extra Suped up Rasheed Wallace is not a terrible comp either for AD.
    Malone made multiple all defense teams

Neither.
    Mute KG with zero temper and much better Jumper/handles.
    Right handed Bosh Supreme.

Very good NBA starter

Come on now, Malone is leaps and bounds ahead of Garnett as a scorer. Not close to comparable. Garnett for one had zero back to basket game, while Malone had a very good one.

I rule the local playground

He is a lower BBIQ version of Tim Duncan who didnt break his knee in his first couple of seasons.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

KG with better shot blocking, significantly less intensity, and significantly worse passing.

You could say he has more range on his jumper, but I think, based on what we've seen from other bigmen who never shot 3s and suddenly became great shooters (Gasols, Lopez) that KG could do it if it were emphasized.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    Malone made multiple all defense teams

I know. He was still had critical defensive issues. He was so strong he held up well against good post scorers, but he provided almost not rim protection.

It is probably unfair to say he had a lesser version of KG's offensive game. His back to the basket game was better than KG's, but it still was flawed in that it relied so much on brute power that when he needed to get something if the defense knew they could take it away.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by clipps
    A right handed Chris Bosh.
    This. But much more dominant

He