Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb Kobe's 2008 Playoff Run is (almost) 1991-1993 Jordan like

Kobe through the 2008 Playoffs posted: 30/6/6 on 48% with good defense.

Kobe&Lakers lost the Finals in 6 to the Big 3 Celtics. Who legit had 3 contenders for FMVP.

1st Round: 4-0 vs Nuggets 34 ppg/ 5 reb/ 6 ast on 50%
    2nd Round: 4-2 vs Jazz 33 ppg/ 7 reb/ 7 ast on 49%
    WCF: 4-1 vs Spurs 29 ppg/ 6 reb/ 4 ast on 53%

Close to 30+ ppg % 50+% fg each series.

Finals 2-4 vs Celtics: 26 ppg on 40.5%.

Obviously the crap Series he had to have, that ultimately took the Run down.

Kobe through 3 Rounds: 32 ppg 6 reb 6 ast on 51% (!)

Kobe through 3 Rounds & First 3 Finals Games: (Excluding just the LAST 3 GAMES)

32 PPG / 6 REB / 6 AST on 50% FG.

THAT is 1991-1993 Jordan...

Jordan:
    1991 - 31 PPG / 6 REB / 8 AST on 51%
    1992- 35 PPG / 6 REB / 6 AST on 50%
    1993- 35 PPG / 7 REB / 6 AST on 47.5%

2008 Kobe ALMOST clipped this.

Now here are Kobe's last 3 Games of the Finals:
    17 Points on 6-19 32%, 25 Points on 8-21 38%, 22 Points on 7-22 32%.

Took it down from GODLY to "just" great Run.

Kobe 2009&2010 was far from that. 2009&2010 Kobe was more 1996-1998 Jordan.

I just needed to make this thread because I feel his 2008 Run is really overlooked, and in fact, the best of his career. (IMO)

What do you think was his greatest Run, and are you surprised at the Statistics excluding JUST his last 3 Games?

I rule the local playground

Default Re: Kobe's 2008 Playoff Run is (almost) 1991-1993 Jordan like

2009 LeBron > 2008 Kobe

Quote Originally Posted by LeBron 06
    2009 LeBron > 2008 Kobe
    No shame though. 2009 is LeBron's GOAT Playoff Run. 2012 damn near close..

Quote Originally Posted by LeBron 06
    2009 LeBron > 2008 Kobe
    Not a chance.
    Complete different stratosphere defensively.
    Kobe was ten times the leader and head and shoulders above LeBron offensively.
    Really, no comparison

Good college starter

Here we go with the Kobe dickriders using hyperbole. Lebron's '09 run is most definitely comparable to Kobe's '08 and arguable even better.

Quote Originally Posted by SexSymbol
    Not a chance.
    Complete different stratosphere defensively.
    Really, no comparison
    Man y'all are something else..

I'm sitting here thinking if I should ask the others to appreciate Kobe's run, in stead of posting such comments... then you come in here and say

"Complete different stratosphere defensively.
    Really, no comparison"

WAY worse of a comment. Couldn't BE anymore wrong... OF COURSE I now come off as "hating on Kobe", "trolling", etc. but this shit doesn't fly with me! You didn't do ANYTHING to back that up anyway.

You aren't a fan of Basketball, you're a stan, of Bean. Please GTFOH

LeBron 2009: 35 PPG / 9 REB / 7 AST on 51%...

Finished SECOND in DPOY Voting. Played splendid Defense.

How exactly was Kobe in a different stratosphere defensively, or head and shoulders above LeBron OFFENSIVELY?

And you have the courage to tell Samurai that he knows nothing about Basketball...

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsFanNumero1
    Here we go with the Kobe dickriders using hyperbole. Lebron's '09 run is most definitely comparable to Kobe's '08 and arguable even better.
    Such a great playoff run, that the only team they faced in the PO who had more than 50 wins destroyed the Cavs. And instead of trying to do everything by himself, he should've concentrated more on defense, because he did nothing there.
    They went up against 39-43 Pistons, which would not make the PO in the West, basically trash team.
    47-35 Hawks, the only respectable series win in PO.
    And got destroyed by the Magic with LeBron putting up numbers, but dare I say empty numbers, because he was getting lit up by anybody. ****ing Pietrus was lighting him up...

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    Man y'all are something else..

I'm sitting here thinking if I should ask the others to appreciate Kobe's run, in stead of posting such comments... then you come in here and say

"Complete different stratosphere defensively.
    Really, no comparison"

WAY worse of a comment. Couldn't BE anymore wrong... OF COURSE I now come off as "hating on Kobe", "trolling", etc. but this shit doesn't fly with me! You didn't do ANYTHING to back that up anyway.

You aren't a fan of Basketball, you're a stan, of Bean. Please GTFOH

LeBron 2009: 35 PPG / 9 REB / 7 AST on 51%...

Finished SECOND in DPOY Voting. Played splendid Defense.

How exactly was Kobe in a different stratosphere defensively, or head and shoulders above LeBron OFFENSIVELY?

And you have the courage to tell Samurai that he knows nothing about Basketball...
    Couldn't be more wrong, he was terrible defensively up until 11, after getting lit up by Rose in 10.
    In his Cavs days all his all-defensive teams were a joke, like kobe's after 10'

Good college starter

Such a great playoff run, that the only team they faced in the PO who had more than 50 wins destroyed the Cavs. And instead of trying to do everything by himself, he should've concentrated more on defense, because he did nothing there.
    They went up against 39-43 Pistons, which would not make the PO in the West, basically trash team.
    47-35 Hawks, the only respectable series win in PO.
    And got destroyed by the Magic with LeBron putting up numbers, but dare I say empty numbers, because he was getting lit up by anybody. ****ing Pietrus was lighting him up...
    If he doesn't put up big numbers, it's "he didn't do enough, he should've scored more".

Put up big numbers. "Empty stats".

It's why I don't like arguing with dickriders. Just a bunch of hyperbole to boost your favorite player.

When you say stuff life "Different stratosphere defensively" and "ten times the leader", and have nothing to back it up, you're a ****ing clown.

Let me try your arguments. Kobe's numbers were padded by weak defenses and got exposed in the Finals once he faced a real defense.

Couldn't be more wrong, he was terrible defensively up until 11, after getting lit up by Rose in 10.
    In his Cavs days all his all-defensive teams were a joke, like kobe's after 10'
    Riiight. I'm not sure I don't have the statistics in front of me, but I read somewhere that WITHOUT LeBron on the Court the Cavaliers got worse by about 8-9 POINTS! .... (I think DMAVS got the stats for that)

Dominant Impact on that side of the floor, leading the Team to the 2nd best Defense Rating in the League.

If he doesn't put up big numbers, it's "he didn't do enough, he should've scored more".

It's why I don't like arguing with dickriders. Just a bunch of hyperbole to boost your favorite player.

When you say stuff life "Different stratosphere defensively" and "ten times the leader", and have nothing to back it up, you're a ****ing clown.

Let me try your arguments. Kobe's numbers were padded by weak defenses and got exposed in the Finals once he faced a real defense.

This.
    Puts up big numbers and they lose: empty, didnt play defense.
    Doesnt put up big numbers: Should have done more. Shoot you passive fcuk.
    Big Numbers in a Win: Stacked team.

Meh, Kobe made up for it in 09. 30 5 6 on 46/35/88, 32 ppg 5 rpg 7 apg in the Finals, first player to average those numbers since MJ in 1991.

2009 is the better playoff run. His stats were almost identical, but he averaged 32, 5 and 7 in the Finals and won FMVP. If anything Kobe's 2009 season is the underrated one as it coincided with LeBron's equally impressive year, whereas he won the MVP in 2008 and "only" had to compete with a Chris Paul who lost in the second round and whose season will not be remembered as much with time.

He was a terrible leader, rapping to songs in clutch situations, dancing, clowning around. No legend took him seriously, that's why everybody was agreeing with Skip back then, especially after 11 finals pre - 12 finals.
    Kobe could still shut anybody down back in 08, LeBron... well not really. He was a pretty good team defender because of Brown's systems, individually he was terrible, pathetic footwoork, slow reactions. He just played the passing lanes and gambled a lot on them, also made some chasedown blocks, and everybody was making fun of NBA for hyping him as a great defender because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    2009 is the better playoff run. His stats were almost identical, but he averaged 32, 5 and 7 in the Finals and won FMVP. If anything Kobe's 2009 season is the underrated one as it coincided with LeBron's equally impressive year, whereas he won the MVP in 2008 and "only" had to compete with a Chris Paul who lost in the second round and whose season will not be remembered as much with time.
    Basically identical except for a 2% drop in efficiency.

2008 Kobe converted 10.6 of 22 Shots. (5 3's)
    2009 Kobe converted 10.5 of 23 Shots. (4.5 3's)

However
    2008 Kobe=80.9% FT's (7.5 of 9.2)
    2009 Kobe=88.3% FT's ( 7.6 of 8.6)

Pretty damn close. Put together they average the same amount of FG&FT Makes, but 2008 Kobe takes a FG less, 2009 Kobe takes 0.6 FT's less.