Local High School Star hiphopanonymous's Avatar

Default The closest player to watching Kobe in the current league?

In my opinion it's Kawhi so far. He can play off the ball very effectively just like Kobe and his fall away jump shot is shot from all over the court contested or not, and looks money af. Most importantly he plays BOTH ends of the court just like Kobe. The one thing that isn't like Kobe is he doesn't seem to go into Mamba mode and just attack relentlessly as much as he could.

Kyrie has mini mamba mentality some nights and is amazing to watch when he's dialied in, but unfortunately he's not consistent which shows on his W-L record and doesn't play on both ends. I got to give him a nod though on those "on" days in looking like a fearless attacker like Kobe used to back in the day.

Nobody else really reminds me much of Kobe but I could be missing some players, what are your guys thoughts?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Default Re: The closest player to watching Kobe in the current league?

Quote Originally Posted by hiphopanonymous
    In my opinion it's Kawhi so far. He can play off the ball very effectively just like Kobe and his fall away jump shot is shot from all over the court contested or not, and looks money af. Most importantly he plays BOTH ends of the court just like Kobe. The one thing that isn't like Kobe is he doesn't seem to go into Mamba mode and just attack relentlessly as much as he could.

Kyrie has mini mamba mentality some nights and is amazing to watch when he's dialied in, but unfortunately he's not consistent which shows on his W-L record and doesn't play on both ends. I got to give him a nod though on those "on" days in looking like a fearless attacker like Kobe used to back in the day.

Nobody else really reminds me much of Kobe but I could be missing some players, what are your guys thoughts?
    Leonard and Harden. Kobe was kind of like a mix of both.

Those players definitely

Beverly if only for his mentality

Harden is a funny mention. Accurate though. Don't like his game, but like Kobe, he doesn't give a damn. Dude shoots the air out of the basketball. Pull ups in your face without blinking.

There are no players in the league today that resemble Kobe's game. None.

There is nobody that is as good at scoring in combination with dribbling in combination with body control and footwork.

James Harden? Please, eh? This is a guy that has studied the rules to the T in order to exploit them as much as possible for his benefit and break the spirit of the game. He literally looks to draw the foul every single time that he possibly can. That's not basketball.

Kobe played basketball. James Harden does not.

And Kawhi is way too much of a robot and extremely stiff. His game is absolutely nothing like Kobe's. What, because they shoot mid range shots? lol.

Local High School Star hiphopanonymous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shogon
    There are no players in the league today that resemble Kobe's game. None.

There is nobody that is as good at scoring in combination with dribbling in combination with body control and footwork.

James Harden? Please, eh? This is a guy that has studied the rules to the T in order to exploit them as much as possible for his benefit and break the spirit of the game. He literally looks to draw the foul every single time that he possibly can. That's not basketball.

Kobe played basketball. James Harden does not.

And Kawhi is way too much of a robot and extremely stiff. His game is absolutely nothing like Kobe's. What, because they shoot mid range shots? lol.
    How bout my Kyrie comparison with respect to your dribble plus body control combo

Like I said - of course he's inconsistently dialed in and doesn't play Kobe's defensive effort game - but he's an on dribble attacker that resembles Kobe in my opinion more than Kawhi. Kawhi just reminds me of Kobe for playing on both ends and with a money fall away option.

Quote Originally Posted by hiphopanonymous
    How bout my Kyrie comparison with respect to your dribble plus body control combo

Like I said - of course he's inconsistently dialed in and doesn't play Kobe's defensive effort game - but he's an on dribble attacker that resembles Kobe in my opinion more than Kawhi. Kawhi just reminds me of Kobe for playing on both ends and with a money fall away option.
    Kyrie is a far superior ball handler to Kobe but absolutely no where near as effective of a scorer because of their height and athleticism differences. Kobe also played defense early in his career. Kyrie has played defense for like two weeks when he first got to Boston and that was about it.

Kyrie does not deserve to be in the same breath as Kobe and he literally never will.

Kyrie is entertaining to watch, much like Kobe, but a Kobe he will never be.

Both are much more enjoyable to watch than Lebron who has some of the poorest footwork the game has ever seen.

Harden and Kobe's games OVERALL are different.

No shit.

Nobody that watched both would claim otherwise.

The similarities are in shotjacking. And gunning for individual scoring feats. Harden's pullup jumper is like Kobe's in that he'll raise over a defender, hand in his face, with no care. Did it to Kawhi the other night vs the Clippers. Twice. Kobe did that frequently.

Kobe was also more skilled. Tougher. Played better defense and wasn't a flopping maniac.

The ISH'ers Champion!

Kawhi by a safe margin.

MJ, Kobe, and a prime Tmac have been the most enjoyable players to watch.

Kawhi, Kyrie, and Harden just aren

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Player today most like Bryant is DeRozan. Not saying he's as good just that like Bryant he's constantly working to get 2 point jumpers off the dribble and they are the same position. Because of the emphasis on thees or layups in shot selection we don't see a true new Kobe but there may be a few guys that could do it if they were coached differently.

This current shitty rule set really does deprive these kids on seeing what they deserve to be seeing. Even AI was more enjoyable to watch.

Kyrie definitely.