Default Ray allen was an all around player in his prime

More then just a shooter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYPmg6snijo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31TTz9-J24Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72Alasu8wYA

That crossover 3 at the 50 sec mark on the third video though

I love LAaaaaaaaaaaa! Lakers Fan's Avatar

Default Re: Ray allen was an all around player in his prime

I don't remember Ray Ray as a great or even good defender.

NBA Legend

You pair Allen with a prime Shaq or Gasol and you get MULTIPLE consecutive titles. FACT.

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers Fan
    They picked him for the Olympics team over Vince Carter and A.I. because of his defence.

And even at an older age, his defensive competence meant he wasn't a weak link on those Celtics' lines known for being great defensively..

Tolerant Liberals

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    You pair Allen with a prime Shaq or Gasol and you get MULTIPLE consecutive titles. FACT.
    If the hornets drafted and traded ray to the lakers and kobe was drafted by the bucks, would ray be a top 15 player of all time?

Quote Originally Posted by superteamtheory
    They picked him for the Olympics team over Vince Carter and A.I. because of his defence.

And even at an older age, his defensive competence meant he wasn't a weak link on those Celtics' lines known for being great defensively..
    they picked him because he is a deadeye shooter.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ISHGoat
    If the hornets drafted and traded ray to the lakers and kobe was drafted by the bucks, would ray be a top 15 player of all time?

It's hard to say. He would have been seen as Shaq's Pippen just like Kobe was, but Ray would have never stooped to alienating his team by gunning for ppg crowns and finals mvp's over a superior teammate. So he might not have achieved the individual acclaim to make the average persons top 15, but the Lakers would have definitely had even more success during the Shaq era. There's no question.

I love LAaaaaaaaaaaa! Lakers Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superteamtheory

Gee he was a better defender than AI or VC? What an endorsement. Allen was never considered a great defender.

It's hard to say. He would have been seen as Shaq's Pippen just like Kobe was, but Ray would have never stooped to alienating his team by gunning for ppg crowns and finals mvp's over a superior teammate. So he might not have achieved the individual acclaim to make the average persons top 15, but the Lakers would have definitely had even more success during the Shaq era. There's no question.
    You think they win in 04? Because they wouldnt have won in 03 for sure.

But in 04 the main problem was that Payton didnt fit with Kobe there but with Allen opening the halfcourt Payton couldve flourished there. But there is also the problem Payton drop a lot too.

He was one game away from taking that Bucks team to the finals in 01. Which he would have, if it wasn't for corrupt referees and the NBA wanting AI vs. Shaq.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    You think they win in 04? Because they wouldnt have won in 03 for sure.

But in 04 the main problem was that Payton didnt fit with Kobe there but with Allen opening the halfcourt Payton couldve flourished there. But there is also the problem Payton drop a lot too.

I mean I dont really know for sure, I'm just havin some fun with the kobe stans but I do feel Allen could have won as many titles with Shaq as Kobe did and possibly more. His game complements Diesel perfectly and his ability to check his ego would have ensured they stayed teammates longer.

Plus

I mean I dont really know for sure, I'm just havin some fun with the kobe stans but I do feel Allen could have won as many titles with Shaq as Kobe did and possibly more. His game complements Diesel perfectly and his ability to check his ego would have ensured they stayed teammates longer.

Plus

How so? What exactly does he do better than Kobe expect 3 point shooting. He isn't even close to Kobe in terms of scoring, defense and most importantly playmaking. There might have not been any tension between Ray and Shaq but until 04 that barely affected the Lakers play on court. And as we have seen in Shaqs Miami years without someone like Wade, who again was miles better than Ray, Shaq would have never won a ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers Fan
    Defended Kobe pretty well in the 08 Finals.

Ray Allen was a very underrated "above the rim" guy when he was younger. Dude can (could) lift, no doubt. He had the ability to get straight nasty on dudes when given the chance.

Plus