Not airballing my layups anymore

Default Is there room for traditional bigs still?

With all this hype about small ball, emphasis to have quick athletes at all positions so they can run all over the floor, has the need for a big bruising CENTERS gone?

Okafor fits this build, a big man that, if he was in the 90s, would fit the style perfectly and would be wanted by all teams. Back to the basket, clogs the lane, stay close to the rim and his inability to switch screens, covers guards, etc would not matter as much as it does today.

Are traditional bigs like Val, Brook, Embiid, Okafor, Pek and others going to become even less important in the future or could they eventually make a comeback?

Guys like Drummond, Noel, Mozgov, Horford, Cousins, Davis and other quick feet bigs that are good in the PnR game are desired more than the guy that will post on the block and call for the ball.

We saw this with Dwight, he wants to be the man to go on the block but the style that wants to be played by coaches put him in PnR's instead. (I know he is slightly above avg. on the block but still)

The big brusing centres all want to play in the post but teams are shunning that and instead want a more perimeter orientated style, you guys think that this will change back to how things were or will the NBA become an even more perimeter dominated game.

Default Re: Is there room for traditional bigs still?

damn no love for a proper post with no trolling included in it either? shii

Banned

Okafor needs to change the paradigm again in Philly. Should still be a big man's league. Looking forward to watching him dominate.

Local High School Star

Stupid question.

The only thing that ultimately matters is : can he play? If the answer is yes, there will always be a spot available.

Quote Originally Posted by Braincells
    Okafor needs to change the paradigm again in Philly. Should still be a big man's league. Looking forward to watching him dominate.
    yeah hope so, the game is slowly becoming less interesting to watch with all this perimeter orientated play and no back to basket guys

Banned

I think there is. If either finals team had a dominant inside player small ball wouldn't have worked

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    I think there is. If either finals team had a dominant inside player small ball wouldn't have worked
    I hope we see a centre come in, like JAH, that can dominate down low and make the 3pt shooting trend slow down and hopefully spark the interest in playing inside more.

The problem is there are like ZERO centres that even work on this and EXCEL in the post, sad because its the funnest part of the game to watch.

When there is a big center vs a small ball line up teams just front him and he gets negated. The center doesnt seal for a high-low entry, then he gets sent to the bench for a 3pt shooting guard lol