Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Default Stephen A: "Melo is one of the top 5 offensive players of the modern era."

Discuss.

National High School Star

Default Re: Stephen A: "Melo is one of the top 5 offensive players of the modern era."

Its true, but that depends on what modern era is

College superstar

Default Re: Stephen A: "Melo is one of the top 5 offensive players of the modern era."

Define "modern era".

Dirk
    Kobe
    AI
    Lebron

Then what about Durant, Nash, Shaq, Duncan, Pierce....

Edit: And that's just since 2000. I have to assume he's calling "post Jordan" the modern era. Because if we include Jordan's era...

Jordan, Malone, Stockton, arguably Pippen, Barkley, Payton, and I may have missed some. Hardaway merits some discussion, as does Ewing, DRob....

Basically.... I disagree with his statement. As usual, he's just out to get attention.
    Last edited by kshutts1; 07-14-2014 at 03:01 PM.

Banned

Bran
    Kirby
    Wade
    Durant
    Melo

Tmac and A.I are retired and not of this era so maybe

Top 1 Bball Mind.

since 2000 off the top of my head:

LeBron
    Durant
    Kobe
    Chris Paul
    Steve Nash
    Shaquille O'neal
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Tim Duncan
    Tracy Mcgrady (at his best)
    Dwyane Wade

are all clearly better...and there are like 20+ more debatable
    Last edited by RoundMoundOfReb; 07-14-2014 at 03:01 PM.

HomieWeMajor
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

False.
    Offense entails much more than chucking 3-pointers 5-feet behind the line and throwing three fingers to your dome.

Very good NBA starter Orlando Magic's Avatar

Durant, James, Bryant, O'Neal, Nowitzki, Nash, Paul

No, no he's not.

If just going by 2010s... James, Durant, Nowitzki, Paul, Bryant

BTW I'm just talking offense... to clarify. The list becomes larger after that.

Also, don't forget Rose.

Melo is a poor man's KD. His skills at the rim are rather weak, isn't that great at drawing contact and getting fouls and he sucks at handling the ball and making plays for his teammates.

I got Lebron, KD, Kobe, Wade, Dirk, Rose, CP3, Westbrook ahead of him at least and that's in the last 5 years. If we're talking from 2000 and forward, there's also Shaq, T-Mac, C-Webb, AI, KG, Duncan, Nash...

His scoring abilities never translated into the Playoffs and he's known for disappearing in big games. He also only won 1 scoring title in his entire career and all he basically does is shoot, even Lebron has a scoring title.
    Last edited by ImKobe; 07-14-2014 at 03:03 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    Define "modern era".

Dirk
    Kobe
    AI
    Lebron

Then what about Durant, Nash, Shaq, Duncan, Pierce....
    I'm not sure, I wasn't watching when he said this. Just got a text from a friend saying those were his words on First Take.

Maybe someone who was watching can help with the context of his statement.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    I'm not sure, I wasn't watching when he said this. Just got a text from a friend saying those were his words on First Take.

Maybe someone who was watching can help with the context of his statement.
    I listened to it...He said exactly that..was actually about to make a thread about it..

Stephen A's TOP 5s defy the laws of math. Everyone fits into them and there is nothing below them.

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    I listened to it...He said exactly that..was actually about to make a thread about it..
    Did he say anything before or after about what the "modern era" is? Does he mean the present NBA?

Top 1 Bball Mind.

I'm not even sure he's a top 5 offensive player RIGHT NOW - as in for the 2014-15 season...

Lebron
    Durant
    Paul
    Love
    Curry

can all be called better...

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Did he say anything before or after about what the "modern era" is? Does he mean the present NBA?
    He didn't clarify about that...typically when people say "modern era" it's post-merger isn't it?