Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Default Re: Are the Heat still contenders?

Quote Originally Posted by Inactive
    I can't wait to see how it turns out.

It seems like many people are discounting the idea that Bosh, Wade, and possibly others will step into bigger roles to make up for Lebron's absence. They seem to think that Bosh is just going to be a 15 ppg spot up shooter, and Wade isn't going to be more productive when he gets to control the ball and go back to scoring off of p&r instead of cuts, and curls.
    Exactly. They will increase their production to fill some of the void and Deng will supply 15-18 ppg. This is why the Myers thing was such a shame. We could have had a chance to see the GOAT himself replaced by a legitimate SG, i.e. Jeff Hornacek (comparable among 90's SG's to Deng among today's SF's, namely a borderline all-star type player. The Bulls attempted to trade for him in mid-season but Krause failed unlike the godfather). The only other case like this I can think of is the 89' Celtics where Reggie Lewis was inserted into the line-up for Bird (the Celtics fell from 57-25 to 42-40 that year). I suspect what will happen is Miami will remain very competitive, although diminished (i.e. going from favorites in the East to 4th-5th place)--but the Cavs make a jump from 33 wins to 54-57 with LeBron.

I think they'll be top-4 in the East and make the ECF. They may not make the finals, but that's mainly because the East has gotten a lot stronger. I'd put my money on the Heat vs. the Cavs in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    The Pete Myers dig would make sense here if Wade was at his peak 2009 form, the way Pippen was at his peak in 1994. So the comparison you're attempting tip make isn't accurate. We get it, you're insecure about Pippen's place in the history of the game, but you need to get over it.
    This

Everything the OP posts either props up LeBron/Pippen, or throwing shade at Jordan.

Learning to shoot layups Da Hammer's Avatar

There is no great team in the East. Miami, Chicago, Cleveland, Indiana are all pretty much lumped together. Although I would consider Inidiana the best team out of the bunch if they resign Stephenson. Heat will probably win 50 games though.

LeBron left for an even more stacked team, but Miami will still be a STRONG playoff contender. In a historically weak conference, making the finals isn't out of the question.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

There is no great team in the East. Miami, Chicago, Cleveland, Indiana are all pretty much lumped together.
    Yup. One of Toronto/Washington/Atlanta likely will join that group in the East's first tier.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    This

Everything the OP posts either props up LeBron/Pippen, or throwing shade at Jordan.
    I am saying the Heat will be solid without LeBron. To prop up LeBron wouldn't I be arguing the Heat will be garbage without him? What does Pippen have to do with this? Jordan? How does this thread diminish MJ? I even referred to MJ as GOAT for the first time since 2009. As all NBA fans know, the core that won 55 games without Jordan won 72 games with him. MJ fans need to get over his team being talented. His team winning 55 doesn't diminish him just as the Heat winning 48-52 next year won't diminish LeBron. MJ stans need to relax with the insecurity. The 94' Bulls were referenced for the same reason the 89' Celtics were: losing a GOAT-caliber player. I could have tossed in the 92' Lakers or the 97' Magic (who replaced Shaq with a 17/10 center) but those teams collapsed. The 94' Bulls are the more appropriate parallel to the 15' Heat.
    Last edited by Roundball_Rock; 07-14-2014 at 12:57 PM.

Problem is no point guard play and no bigs. What will be their style? No small ball without Lebron and can't expect Chalmers to take over PG duties full time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock
    Yup. One of Toronto/Washington/Atlanta likely will join that group in the East's first tier.
    I think there will be a swap in tiers. I feel Toronto with their first full year together with the core that got them a 55 win pace post Rudy Gay trade and a better bench will be better than Indiana if they don't resign Stephenson. There is also no real threat to Toronto in their division as of now. Atlanta will be there too, but you wonder if Al Horford gets injured again. Washington has potentially 3 players starting all over 30+ years old and no real bench depth to speak off. It also has journey men Drew Gooden and Andre Miller returning, who are also well over 30+. Miller's best days are behind him and Gooden is known for his inconsistent play.

Once teams starts filling out the rest of their roster, then we can accurately try to rank these teams. I agree that there's isn't a true great team in the East right now, which makes it really fun to get ready for the upcoming season.

At least for now, the division leaders for each squad should be: Toronto, Chicago, and Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    If everything goes right I can see them being the 3rd best team in the division.
    Them?!!!!

Weren't you riding with them last year? What happened???

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoss
    Them?!!!!

He's a Cleveland fan now. Been one since '62.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoss
    Them?!!!!

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    LeBron left for an even more stacked team, but Miami will still be a STRONG playoff contender. In a historically weak conference, making the finals isn't out of the question.

If Bran left Miami for a more stacked team, then CLE is a lock for ECF champs!?

I think the Heat are contenders in the East because when you look at the team's on paper, no one stands out as a great team. Indiana would be the pick, but the have to reigns Stephenson. otherwise their fill-in for Stephenson will be C.J. Miles.

I think Indiana and Chicago will a top the East probably. After I have no clue.

3-time NBA All-Star

Hilarious how obsessed RR is with 1994 dude is having a wet dream thinking about next season and all the new w/Lebron, w/o Lebron, w/Wade, w/o Wade, etc pace calculations he gets to make

College superstar

As I said in another thread, I think the signing of Granger may be huge especially for their bench. I honestly do not believe he has fallen off as much as it appears since his injury. I feel that he simply lost his starting job in Indiana to a younger, slightly better player at the same position while he was injured. At that point he became expendable due to the presence of Paul George. If he is healthy he could be a 12-15 ppg 6th MOY candidate who doesn't give you that of much drop off when Deng goes to the bench.