Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Default Official Nerlens Noel Summer League thread

Nerlens Noel makes his debut today in the Orlando Summer League. The start of something big? ROY?

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Default Re: Official Nerlens Noel Summer League thread

He's no ROY, but he was who i wanted the cavs to take last season.

It's going to be interesting to see how his game translates to the NBA.

Some things to watch from Liberty Ballers.com:

What should we look for from Nerlens? Here's a few things:

+ Agility: the torn ACL can take more than a year to fully recover. Can he be as aggressive as advertised in his perimeter trapping defense and still get back to the paint to defend the rim? Will he be restricted in any way?
    + Jumper: see if he takes (and makes) some jumpers with the re-worked jump shot that he spent a full year rebuilding.
    + The Hair: no explanation necessary.

Wish the kid well.
    Injuries suck and he has the coolest hairstyle in the nba

Decent playground baller Ratnik's Avatar

In all seriousness, is he eligible for ROY?

Quote Originally Posted by Ratnik
    In all seriousness, is he eligible for ROY?
    Yea, just like Blake Griffin was

Very good NBA starter

inb4 5 pts 6 rebounds 41% shooting

He's eligible but I don't see how he is going to win ROY with this draft class.

I have him blocking 10 shots today.

Some more excerpts from CSNPhilly today:

1. Noel is a shot blocker. He needs to protect the rim the way he did for the Kentucky Wildcats when he averaged 4.4 blocks per game.

2. Brett Brown spent the entire 2013-14 season reworking Noel's shot. Noel, day after day, shot one handed in an effort to not let his guide hand influence his release.

Pay attention to Noel when he goes to the foul line. He was a 52.9 percent free-throw shooter at Kentucky. Being a 60-percent shooter at the line this week would be an excellent indicator Brown's investment in changing Noel's shot was worthy.

3. There are questions about Noel being able to hold his own in the low post given his 228-pound frame. He will not face the likes of a Dwight Howard or Marc Gasol in the summer league, but Noel needs to show he can use his athleticism to counter centers with bigger bodies.

4. Michael Carter-Williams will be the point guard orchestrating the Sixers' offense this fall, but this week Noel needs to trust Casper Ware, Aaron Craft and Pierre Jackson with the point guard duties. Those players will be looking for Noel, especially in transition.

Noel needs to run the floor and finish at the rim. The Sixers were the top team in pace last season. Expect them to be a high-octane squad this week as well.

5. Noel has missed playing a game he loves. Because he has been sidelined for 18 months, Noel will be excited. He can't let his emotions and adrenaline dictate his actions. He needs to channel his energy in a positive way to help his team be successful. He doesn't have to prove he is healthy and arguably the best player on the court.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

in interested to see if he developed a little face up game. He had a few moves at college.

He'll probably be a bit rusty, so let's not judge him too early.

This thread should be "Aaron Craft RoY watch" lol

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.J4ever
    Some things to watch from Liberty Ballers.com:

What should we look for from Nerlens? Here's a few things:

+ Agility: the torn ACL can take more than a year to fully recover. Can he be as aggressive as advertised in his perimeter trapping defense and still get back to the paint to defend the rim? Will he be restricted in any way?
    + Jumper: see if he takes (and makes) some jumpers with the re-worked jump shot that he spent a full year rebuilding.
    + The Hair: no explanation necessary.
    This is what I heard from inside Sixers camp. Noel is fast as shit and long. If you play up on him he'll get around you but if you play off of him he cannot hit a shot to save his life. The people I know there say he air balls FTs and is just not good offensively. Say he can run the floor like a deer and get all kindsa lobs and putbacks but that when Embiid comes it's very possible that Embiid will be the four and Noel is the five. That doesn't really matter to me because I think of him like Theo Ratliff and so does Hinkie. They didn't draft him for scoring. But there is about zero chance that he becomes ROY. I'm excited to see him firsthand tho.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    This is what I heard from inside Sixers camp. Noel is fast as shit and long. If you play up on him he'll get around you but if you play off of him he cannot hit a shot to save his life. The people I know there say he air balls FTs and is just not good offensively. Say he can run the floor like a deer and get all kindsa lobs and putbacks but that when Embiid comes it's very possible that Embiid will be the four and Noel is the five. That doesn't really matter to me because I think of him like Theo Ratliff and so does Hinkie. They didn't draft him for scoring. But there is about zero chance that he becomes ROY. I'm excited to see him firsthand tho.
    Well, yes you're right, but if he can finish close to the rim with some dunks, some lobs, and run the fast break on offense, I will be happy. Of course, this should all be liberally mixed with his athletic defense.

On ROY, I believe Vegas put some good odds for him winning ROY. Let me take a look, and if I find it, I will post it.

NBA rookie of the year

76ers have that pg from New Orleans that dominated D-League