Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Default Off Season Moves.

Ok people now that the draft is over and we know where we stand. What moves do you think need to be made for this team to be competitive next season.

We have an abundance of guards. I think we should move either critt, or lowry. Walker might now want to playe here. So I think we can probably package them together for something. Like maybe to portland for channing frye and webster. Who knows but we need to make a move. Here is my list of players that I think we should lok into getting. Most are threes then there are a few bigs.

Ira Newble, James Jones, And Kareem Rush. I think these guys are all free agents so we could make an offer for them.

Joey Grahm, Martel Webster, Shawne Williams, Thadeous Young, Quinton Ross, C.J. Miles, Jarvis Hayes, Desmond Mason, and Canning Frye. We would have to make a trade to get any of these plaers.

I think if we can two of the players on these list that they will bring a competitive edge to the team next season.

I am Chris Wilcox

Default Re: Off Season Moves.

I definitly wouldn't mind having Kareem Rush on the team. I've been a fan of his for a while now and I think he would bring something nice to Memphis.

Making an offer for Frye would be nice, but how's his defense? We really need to look in to getting a solid, defensive big man. We've lost Collins, who was somewhat a good defensive presence, we need to fill that gap with a better defensive player.

Frye is like 6'11'' a shot blocker with great athleticism. He is not as bit gweight wise like collins was. But he runs the floor great and can finish at both ends. Would fit well with our uptempo style.

I am Chris Wilcox

I think Frye would be a nice addition, given his frame and that he can run the floor. But, like I said before, we still need to get some defense in the post.

What's Marc Gasol like defensively? Is he smart, strong, agile or is he just going to be a big body down low?

Newble or Jones would be nice. Also Rush. Frye, I don't like him so much, but he would be an upgrade over Hakim in the sense he is a true PF. His defense is not really good.

Smart and strong are good words to define Marc's defense. He is slow, though, so he will suffer against PFs that play at C.

Edit: Joey Graham? no, thanks. He would be just a bench warmer like Cardinal. No way.

Quote Originally Posted by berraco
    Newble or Jones would be nice. Also Rush. Frye, I don't like him so much, but he would be an upgrade over Hakim in the sense he is a true PF. His defense is not really good.

Smart and strong are good words to define Marc's defense. He is slow, though, so he will suffer against PFs that play at C.

Edit: Joey Graham? no, thanks. He would be just a bench warmer like Cardinal. No way.
    I think grahm would be an upgrade from cardinal. He is more athletic and stronger. He can play off the dribble better. I mean he isnt that good BUT anything is better then cardinal.

Marc is more of a defensive banger. He will be able to fill up the middle. His offense will be the biggest question.

Apparently bostanch nachbar is available. Not sure if spelling is right. But he is an unrestricted free agent. He could back up rudy.

Local High School Star alexthegod's Avatar

Having taken a few days to digest the main part of the big trade Majo and Miller for Love, I'm thinking they are going to come out ahead on this deal.

I live in LA and have seen quite a few games with both Majo and Love. I'm really worried that Love is going to be nothing more than a servicable big. I cant see him being a top tier big due to his lack of size and lack of athleticism. I see him really struggling on the defensive end. He might turn into a pretty good offensive player although he might be limited what he can do in the post in the NBA. So in my opinion, they traded a bust for a potential all star.

Losing Mike Miller actually makes sense if they believe Majo is going to be able to start right away and become an impact SG. He isn't the pure shooter Miller is, but he is a scorer with great atheltisism and can do everything else Miller does better.

Taking a good look at the contracts that were swapped they again came out ahead as Walker has a TEAM option after the season, so he is basicly a 10 mil expirer. Not only could they shed his salary next season, but he could be a trade chip at the trade deadline.

Basicly they traded Millers $9 mil salary, Collins $6 mil expirer, and Cardinals bad 2 year deal avg $6.5 per for Walkers $10 mil expirer, and Jarics not so great 3 year deal avg $7 mil per.

That means they will only have about $25.5 mil commited to next season and includeds Marc Gasol and Majo.

Things are getting interesting in Memphis!

Quote Originally Posted by jailer
    Apparently bostanch nachbar is available. Not sure if spelling is right. But he is an unrestricted free agent. He could back up rudy.
    I like him, really.

I am Chris Wilcox

I think we should make an offer on a decent big man, possibly Frye, Blount or another big man who could come in and fill a role. We're obviously not going to get a star level big man, so we should go for a player who can fill a role. I think using Lowry or Crittenton along with Walker or Buckner could get us something respectable.

How much cap room do we have? I think we should still have enough to sign a decent SF to play backup. Nothing great, but atleast an improvement over Cardinal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kebab Stall
    How much cap room do we have? I think we should still have enough to sign a decent SF to play backup. Nothing great, but atleast an improvement over Cardinal.
    We already have 42 M$ in salaries this year (including Damon's buy out). Plus Gasol, Mayo and Arthur, that would put us in around 50 (3.5 +3.5 + 1). Salary cap for next season has not been announced yet, but I think it will be around 57-58 M$ after the 55 M$ of last season. So we are around 7 millions below the cap and have three spots open in the roster (we have 9 players under contract + the 3 rookies).

Yeah but I think wallace has basicly sadi that they wont look at the free agent market to much this year. He wants to hit it up next year when we have more cash.

Quote Originally Posted by jailer
    Yeah but I think wallace has basicly sadi that they wont look at the free agent market to much this year. He wants to hit it up next year when we have more cash.
    Right, having around 12 players is enough for this roster. We can fill the other spots with 1 year contracts and live with that. Next year Walker's contract will be finished plus Damon's buyout, which gives us around 15M$ more. That will be the moment to look into the free agency.

We should have around 14-15 million next year if we dont use anymore this season. I think we would of had like 18-19 before the trade. I like nachbar though. I think he could really be a stud here. He is like 6'9'' and can flat out shoot the three.

I am Chris Wilcox

If Wallace isn't planning on signing anyone (which is a really dumb move by him, but I'm not at all surprised at this point), then he should definitly look into making a trade.