Page 79 of 166 FirstFirst ... 29697677787980818289129 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 2487
    Local High School Star

Default Re: NBA Trade/FA Ideas | Rumors | Offseason | Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    If Kobe plays those kinds of minutes he'll just end up hurt and out for the whole season...

I know Lakers fans don't understand how to rebuild a team. They've never had to suffer like this before. It's new territory.
    absolutely right. like last year they will tank without trying. and Kobe will hurt himself again by trying to fight time and his weak team.

my problem is, i think the Lakers dont know how to rebuild this way because they never did it before.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by L.A. Jazz
    absolutely right. like last year they will tank without trying. and Kobe will hurt himself again by trying to fight time and his weak team.

my problem is, i think the Lakers dont know how to rebuild this way because they never did it before.
    It's going to probably take some trial and error if Jimmy has much to do with it, much like the coaching hires. He had no experience in that area either and we see how that turned out. If he lets Mitch handle the personel then it will probably move smoother.

If Kobe plays those kinds of minutes he'll just end up hurt and out for the whole season. Right now this lineup is worse than the ones in the Smush Parker years and Kobe is far older now. I don't think most of the guys in the NBA go out there to lose games. They do typically try hard. Do you think Casper Ware wasn't trying with the 76ers last season. He was giving it his everything trying to keep a spot in the NBA lol. Still doesn't mean they were going to win games. I think sometimes people confuse effort with tanking. I think this team will give 110%. It doesn't make them a good team and it doesn't mean as fans we can't hope that since they'll be a lottery team that they can somehow hold onto that pick and make the rebuilding process go faster.

This team really only had one season in recent years that they haven't been contenders. Sure there was 'antoni's first season, but going into that season with the Howard trade and the Nash signing the Lakers were supposed to be good. Last season was the first season of the rebuild. I know Lakers fans don't understand how to rebuild a team. They've never had to suffer like this before. It's new territory. But everyone is going to have to learn that this isn't going to change overnight. There's going to at least be a few more years of this. Getting that draft pick to go along with Randle and a ton of cap space will really help things move faster.
    Do you really think the current lineup is potentially worse than the Smush Parker one? Lin has had more success than Parker on an individual basis and we have a young prospect that can come in in Randle and contribute immediately. Not to mention that any bench with Nick Young will always produce something each and every game.

With Jordan Hill and Randle, we're going to be a rebounding monster.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by tamaraw08
    But I can't stomach that notion that the Lakers would have to be atleast the 5th worst team to get that pick from the Suns.
    What about idea that Kobe has had enough rest and healed up and his competitiveness and spirit? same with Jordan Hill. Randle putting in hours rt now. That Clarkson kid seems to be showing some promise too, etc If you are Mitch, are you going to ask these guys to tone it down and they must suck to get that top 5 pick?
    What about the Houston pick?
    Rockets lose Parsons and his 17 pts/game PLUS Lins 13 pts/game. Yes, they acquired Ariza but theres a fair chance that he can't duplicate that great 3pt shooting last year. He struggled in Houston before, Howard can be fragile both physically and mentally most esp when they got upset in the the first round. But going back to my original point, why train your sight on sucking when there's a chance to acquire those diamond in the rough guys and other FA's. Again Riley didn't moped around and cried in the corner after he lost Lebron and had a better plan B than the Lakers IMO. Pat didn't say, "oh well, we lost James, lets just tank, not sign anybody and get that top pick next year..."
    I really liked the idea of signing Granger for a measly 2 mil. Yes, he didn't do that great last year after that major injury but with modern/advance science and perseverance, he could get that form again when he averaged 20pts/game. Maybe less but heck for 2 mil/yr for just 2 years? Then signing Deng for just 2 yrs?
    Im with other posters here, when they said how come the Lakers didn't even "TRY" and tender offer sheets to guys like Monroe and/or Bledsoe?
    And im not saying offer max contracts, just "try"!
    Any news on hiring great scouts, heck pirate those scouts from San Antonio, those guys who spotted Ginobli, Hill and Udrih and fire guys who brought up the idea of getting Sun Yue, Slava etc.
    Unfortunately the front office has tunnel vision when it comes to making moves. Unless they're getting a superstar they're not thinking outside the box. I don't see what's wrong with signing a player and developing him into an all star talent. Imagine if the Celtics had given up on Rondo 3 years in. Even if you don't go down that path I don't understand the rush to resign Hill and Young. Why not take on reclamation projects like Ed Davis. San Antonio made bold moves like trading George Hill for an unknown rookie while we were hesitant to trade Bynum for Melo

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfreak
    Do you really think the current lineup is potentially worse than the Smush Parker one? Lin has had more success than Parker on an individual basis and we have a young prospect that can come in in Randle and contribute immediately. Not to mention that any bench with Nick Young will always produce something each and every game.

With Jordan Hill and Randle, we're going to be a rebounding monster.
    Worse might be stretching it, maybe I exaggerated a bit, but every bit as bad yes. They will finish with a worse record than that group. Kobe was still a monster back then. He carried that team. He can't be expected to do that anymore. He's not the same player. The Western conference is stronger now too. That doesn't help. Lin is terrible. Every bit as bad as Smush. Randle will be good but remember he is a rookie. It's going to take a few years before he really gets it.

NBA lottery pick

Well it looks like the Bulls did amnesty Boozer. I was looking at guys the Lakers could possibly take a 1 year minimum deal gamble on. Michael Beasley is still out there. We know he can score. Maybe after a humbling year in Miami with Lebron he could work with Kobe. That would be worth a gamble I think. At least it's still someone with some upside. I see him kind of like a Gerald Green kind of guy. He needed some time to mature.

Well it looks like the Bulls did amnesty Boozer. I was looking at guys the Lakers could possibly take a 1 year minimum deal gamble on. Michael Beasley is still out there. We know he can score. Maybe after a humbling year in Miami with Lebron he could work with Kobe. That would be worth a gamble I think. At least it's still someone with some upside. I see him kind of like a Gerald Green kind of guy. He needed some time to mature.
    As far as offense goes he can definitely help keep us at sea level. However our two bigs in Hill and Randle are both undersized. We need a center. Jordan Hill is likely to start anyways (thats just my guess). Where would he fit?

Very good NBA starter

Gross keep Beasley away from this team. He's garbage and had multiple opportunities to produce and he's busted. Forget that guy.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfreak
    As far as offense goes he can definitely help keep us at sea level. However our two bigs in Hill and Randle are both undersized. We need a center. Jordan Hill is likely to start anyways (thats just my guess). Where would he fit?
    Beasley has always been a SF. He really can't play the 4. I'm not all that interested in Boozer. I think he'll probably go to a contender for the vets minimum. Who knows maybe he'll team back up with Lebron.

Worse might be stretching it, maybe I exaggerated a bit, but every bit as bad yes. They will finish with a worse record than that group. Kobe was still a monster back then. He carried that team. He can't be expected to do that anymore. He's not the same player. The Western conference is stronger now too. That doesn't help. Lin is terrible. Every bit as bad as Smush. Randle will be good but remember he is a rookie. It's going to take a few years before he really gets it.
    Good point about how much better Kobe was and how much tougher the Western conference is. In fact, I can't recall the last time where a team which won 49 games barely making it in the playoffs.
    Another factor is that Phil is one of the best coaches ever, that he also steered the MJ less Bulls to the playoffs, I think they won 54 games.
    But to say that Lin is terrible? Im not a huge fan of his but I would like to know what you think of Kirk Hinrich, Steve Blake, Rubio, Mo Williams etc? These guys have less impressive stats than Jeremy, and Im not saying he is an all-star, far from it.

I'm saying with this current roster the Lakers are one of the worst teams in the NBA. I have also said I would like to see some of the young guys develop. Even if Kobe comes back in prime form this team doesn't make the playoffs. I didn't say don't try. I just said it was really bad so hopefully it ends up being top 5 bad. I think most agree with that.

I also said to go after Monroe and Bledsoe. I'm not sure why they haven't yet. Maybe they are waiting for teams to spend more money to increase their chances. Even with Monroe or Bledsoe this is still a lottery team.
    You seemed to prefer for them to lose as many games possible to make sure the they get atleast the 5th pick and that's the only way for them to get significantly better in the future. To a point yes, if they get the 5th worst record, then so be it, but I just hate teams who intentionally tank just to get the highest picks. I hated the Sixers for simply trading Holiday for a rookie who will be out for the season. Then simply give away their top veterans to make sure they don't win any more games= more lottery balls.
    As a parent, I told my kids to do their best no matter what, even if they are not in the top of the class, don't give up. If you lose, try to rise up.
    Cuban lost Nash, then found ways to replace him, later on went to the finals, then won the ring.
    Hawks lost Josh Smith but quickly signed Millsap.
    Riley lost James but signed Deng etc etc. They didn't think, hey we have a very bad roster, so lets hope to be the worse team so we can get better.... eventually.

NBA lottery pick

Good point about how much better Kobe was and how much tougher the Western conference is. In fact, I can't recall the last time where a team which won 49 games barely making it in the playoffs.
    Another factor is that Phil is one of the best coaches ever, that he also steered the MJ less Bulls to the playoffs, I think they won 54 games.
    But to say that Lin is terrible? Im not a huge fan of his but I would like to know what you think of Kirk Hinrich, Steve Blake, Rubio, Mo Williams etc? These guys have less impressive stats than Jeremy, and Im not saying he is an all-star, far from it.
    Those really were the years that I hated the MVP award. It always went to Nash.... who really didn't deserve it. Kobe did.

As far as those other PG's, I wouldn't want them on my team either. Hinrich I liked about 4 years ago. That ship has sailed though. The Lakers should have made an offer on Bledsoe.

NBA lottery pick

You seemed to prefer for them to lose as many games possible to make sure the they get atleast the 5th pick and that's the only way for them to get significantly better in the future. To a point yes, if they get the 5th worst record, then so be it, but I just hate teams who intentionally tank just to get the highest picks. I hated the Sixers for simply trading Holiday for a rookie who will be out for the season. Then simply give away their top veterans to make sure they don't win any more games= more lottery balls.
    As a parent, I told my kids to do their best no matter what, even if they are not in the top of the class, don't give up. If you lose, try to rise up.
    Cuban lost Nash, then found ways to replace him, later on went to the finals, then won the ring.
    Hawks lost Josh Smith but quickly signed Millsap.
    Riley lost James but signed Deng etc etc. They didn't think, hey we have a very bad roster, so lets hope to be the worse team so we can get better.... eventually.
    The Heat don't have a really bad roster. They're still going to be about a 4-6 seed. I can see why they went after Deng, etc. The Lakers have a far worse roster than that.

At first I didn't like Philly trading Holiday. Then when MCW played the way he did I thought it was brilliant. I don't think they would have necessarily won more games with Holiday at PG. MCW had a very good year. Now you have a team with MCW, Nerlens Noel, and Joel Embiid. That's a great young trio. Give it a few more years and they're going to be really legit in the East. Noel has looked really good so far in the summer league. He should be a solid NBA player. This year Embiid is out so they're going to get another lottery pick too. That team is going to be stacked. If I was a Philly fan I would be extremely excited. I'd love to go watch those games this year. Not to mention they just drafted Jerami Grant too. Who knows what he'll be. And they still have Young. Philly is in a very good spot.

Edit, and they get Saric in a few years too. That team is going to be stacked.

The Heat don't have a really bad roster. They're still going to be about a 4-6 seed. I can see why they went after Deng, etc. The Lakers have a far worse roster than that.

At first I didn't like Philly trading Holiday. Then when MCW played the way he did I thought it was brilliant. I don't think they would have necessarily won more games with Holiday at PG. MCW had a very good year. Now you have a team with MCW, Nerlens Noel, and Joel Embiid. That's a great young trio. Give it a few more years and they're going to be really legit in the East. Noel has looked really good so far in the summer league. He should be a solid NBA player. This year Embiid is out so they're going to get another lottery pick too. That team is going to be stacked. If I was a Philly fan I would be extremely excited. I'd love to go watch those games this year. Not to mention they just drafted Jerami Grant too. Who knows what he'll be. And they still have Young. Philly is in a very good spot.

Edit, and they get Saric in a few years too. That team is going to be stacked.
    Miami will be in the playoffs bec they belong in the very weak East and more importantly, Riley is CONSTANTLY working to make his team better and not thinking "tank now to get better tomorrow" mentality.
    Right after they lost Lebron, they quickly signed Bosh, Deng then Wade, Granger etc.
    Sixers lost 63 games last year thats winning only 23% for the year. Holiday guided the Sixers to 41% (without Bynum and traded Vucevic), 53% and 50%.
    I like MCW but some say his stats were bloated/padded bec most of those games were blowouts. Yes, eventually they will get significantly better, but only bec they used that system where the league helps out teams who have been constantly horrendous. I have more respect for the Bucks than them. Yes, they made a ton of bad decisions but atleast they tried. They hired a coach who was decent at Atlanta, signed Mayo after they lost Monta Ellis etc instead of deliberately trying to lose. Sixers hired a rookie coach, intentionally traded their best PG for a player they know was lost for the year, didn't signed ANY FA's, then made sure they get more lottery balls by giving away Hawes and Evans for NOTHING. Now with the heavy draft, they chose a player again who is injured for the rest of the year. Yes, they are taking that OKC path of collecting 4-5 future allstars. I prefer the try now and see what happens approach. What the Lakers did in the early 90's. Heck Indiana build around Paul George then try to win now by getting FA's the past 3-4 years.

NBA lottery pick

What FA's really want to go to Philly? Who are they missing out on? They need to build through the draft, and it will pay off for them. Or they could have over paid for a few people, maybe been mediocre at best, people would have still been upset with the team, and they would have to rebuild again. Philly has been very smart and with a little patience they're going to be an excellent team.