Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: So is the Blake Griffin being a once in a generation player fad over?

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    Ya that's why I followed it up with All-Star level offense. Dirk and Barkley weren't the All-Time great defenders, but they were offensively. Blake shows the same weakness with defense but doesn't have their offensive game.

IMO anyways.
    i really dont like griffin either, but its a little too early in his career to fairly judge his offensive prowess. maybe he will develop some offensive moves in the post eventually or have a hook shot or something. inconclusive evidence.

Default Re: So is the Blake Griffin being a once in a generation player fad over?

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    I'll take LeBron, but Wilt has a case for sure. Then again, there are probably some super athletic scrubs we never heard about.
    Randy Smith from the Braves/Clippers comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    Randy Smith from the Braves/Clippers comes to mind.
    HE was an all-star tho

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    i really dont like griffin either, but its a little too early in his career to fairly judge his offensive prowess. maybe he will develop some offensive moves in the post eventually or have a hook shot or something. inconclusive evidence.
    Yeah didn't mean that he couldn't improve. I just don't think personally that he'll be an All-Time great PF as some have billed him as.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    I'll take LeBron, but Wilt has a case for sure. Then again, there are probably some super athletic scrubs we never heard about.
    James Singleton was pretty damn athletic.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

I have a challenge for you guys. Tell me how Barkley's or Malone's offensive game was more expansive or superior in their 2nd season. Since you guys all want revise history.

Those are two of the top three all time PF's who both came in without great offensive games and didn't develop them till their 3rd and 4th seasons while largely relying on athleticism. Yet Griffin is being held at an even higher expectation despite none of you thinking he has all time great potential? GO FIGURE.

Stop holding him at all time great PF expectations if you don't think he has a shot to be an all time great PF. Logic.
    Last edited by Clippersfan86; 03-21-2012 at 11:07 PM.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    Yeah didn't mean that he couldn't improve. I just don't think personally that he'll be an All-Time great PF as some have billed him as.
    I still disagree. He's in a TERRIBLE offensive system with bad coaching and players who aren't going to him when they should. Not to mention most stars make a 3rd year leap, not 2nd. Get him a great coach and some bigman help and you'll see it.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    Wilt was probably the greatest athlete to ever play in the NBA. Honestly though, Lebron's probably #2.
    Agreed.

Wilt averaged what 45 minutes per game? During the highest scoring era?

LeBron, Jordan, Doctor J & Kemp are in the top five though. Carter deserves a mention somewhere too.

Griffin is closer to Stoudemire in my book.

ETA forgot Carter.
    Last edited by Gotterdammerung; 03-21-2012 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung
    Agreed.

Wilt averaged what 45 minutes per game? During the highest scoring era?

LeBron, Jordan, Doctor J & Kemp are in the top five though. Carter deserves a mention somewhere too.

Griffin is closer to Stoudemire in my book.

ETA forgot Carter.
    Shaq?

Size, strength, quickness, mobility.

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    Shaq?

Size, strength, quickness, mobility.
    Let's see Shaq play entire games without sitting on the bench at any point in the game, in an era when you were expect to play hurt and not take games off to "heal on company time."

Damn. I knew I forgot someone. Also forgot Rodman and Olajuwon.

I'm not impressed with Shaq's overall athleticism because Robinson was faster, quicker at the same height.

Shaquille weighed more and was stronger, he was never more than a two space rebounder. Didn't lead the league in blocks either. Didn't have that world class stamina as well.

Good High School Starter

dudes average....hes the tyreke evans of power forwards...only reason their numbers looked remotely good was because they are athletic....they both suck at the game of basketball

It's those alligator arms. Looks great for dunks, but doesn't help much with defending.

Decent playground baller

The thing about Blake & Kevin Love is...Blake can learn how to do some of the things Love can do. Theoretically, he COULD be able to become a 35%+ 3pt shooter. He COULD become a better passer.

Kevin Love can never add the ability to viciously boom over top of 99% of the league. Kevin Love will never be able to spin-move into dunk in transition.

Kevin Love is the better player. Blake Griffin COULD be way better than Kevin Love, all depending on how much work he wants to put in at the gym.

In reality, Griffin is in his sophomore year playing with an almost unrecognizable roster from his first year. He shares touches with arguably the best point guard in the league, playing under a coach that has no offensive/defensive system to speak of. I told people Griffin's numbers would take a hit after the Clippers added talent. Anyone with Griffin's athleticism and basketball IQ has the chance to be a generational player as far as I'm concerned. Games like tonight make it convenient for some posters to start threads like this and disparage his game, though, which actually makes me laugh. I will say that if Griffin was in his fifth year, the OP might have a point.