Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Devonta Pollard (Former top basketball recruit) sends Mother to 25 years in Prison

Default Re: Devonta Pollard (Former top basketball recruit) sends Mother to 25 years in Prison

Cliffnotes?

Local High School Star wakencdukest's Avatar

Default Re: Devonta Pollard (Former top basketball recruit) sends Mother to 25 years in Prison

What a stupid bitch. He's better off without her.

Decent playground baller dilley's Avatar

reading is for faggots, stupid thread

Yeah If I'm not doing my readings at school, I sure as hell am not gonna read all that shit

Sorry, but I'm not reading all that. Someone summarize it.

Man I don't even know... I made this thread so someone could give ME the cliffnotes.

black man
    mother of black man
    friends of black man and mom
    kidnaps child of a cousin
    goes to jail for 20 years

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Already financially burdened family. Kid is McD All American with Marcus Smart class. Dad dies of pancreatic cancer as HS Soph. Then his house is struck by lightning and burns down.

Mother was a local basketball star in her youth. She is overbearing on the son, and trains him into the ground.

Mother owns a small piece of property that is forclosed on. Her cousin buys the property from the bank. Mother is furious.

Mother (by all accounts) arranged a kidnapping of the cousin's daughter. Kid is made to testify and his testimony is part of what puts her away (basically he drove to meet her a few times, unkowing of what she was doing, but it put together her movements, and pretty much got her locked up after she stubbernly wouldn't take a plea deal).

Kid went to Alabama for a year but depression and dealing with the case along with scoring 4 pts a game sent him home. He went to local Juco. Playing this year at Houston with coaching reclamation project Kelvin Sampson of Indiana fame.

[COLOR="White"](Who needs cliff notes of my cliffnotes?)[/COLOR]
    Decent read actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    Already financially burdened family. Kid is McD All American with Marcus Smart class. Dad dies of pancreatic cancer as HS Soph. Then his house is struck by lightning and burns down.

Mother was a local basketball star in her youth. She is overbearing on the son, and trains him into the ground.

Mother owns a small piece of property that is forclosed on. Her cousin buys the property from the bank. Mother is furious.

Mother (by all accounts) arranged a kidnapping of the cousin's daughter. Kid is made to testify and his testimony is part of what puts her away (basically he drove to meet her a few times, unkowing of what she was doing, but it put together her movements, and pretty much got her locked up after she stubbernly wouldn't take a plea deal).

Kid went to Alabama for a year but depression and dealing with the case along with scoring 4 pts a game sent him home. He went to local Juco. Playing this year at Houston with coaching reclamation project Kelvin Sampson of Indiana fame.

Decent read actually.

Thanks

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    Damn... whoever is the editor at espn needs to tell these writers they aren't real writers and this isn't a damn novel.
    It's a feature story, not a straight news piece.

It is pretty long though.

I kinda dig these long form big research pieces. This was the second I read from ESPN linked from here today. The other was a No One Wants to Play With Kobe piece.

It seemed like Grantland had sorta cornered the market on this stuff these days. It reminds me of the stuff I read as a kid from SI and Sport magazine.

exercise profits littl MadeFromDust's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    Cliffnotes?
    His mother's cousin took advantage of her hardships and purchased her foreclosed property and wouldn't let her retrieve her stuff. The rest is downhill from there. Her own cousin is the prime evildoer in this case, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by MadeFromDust
    His mother's cousin took advantage of her hardships and purchased her foreclosed property and wouldn't let her retrieve her stuff. The rest is downhill from there. Her own cousin is the prime evildoer in this case, imo.

There's some pretty ugly stuff in there about the kidnapping. And some of it comes off as irrefutable. Like the threatening texts.

She asks Devonta to meet her somewhere and bring a pair of pliars and some other tool, and then later they imply that they were going to be used for torture, which hadn't even occurred to me as I read it. I thought it was going to be used to break in somewhere or something. It makes the mother seem pretty evil. But nothing else in the story speaks to that. And she won't talk about the case because it's under appeal, but the way it's written it seems pretty open and closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous

Decent read actually.
    Great summary; just forgot to mention that prior to him testifying against her the mother was offered a plea deal that would keep him out of jail; but declined becuase in her words the deal "wouldn't help her in any way."

What a b[COLOR="Black"]itc[/COLOR]h.