Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Default Re: If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    African Americans are inherently more athletic than the rest of the planet because of how they were bred, yes

African Americans are vastly more athletic on average than Africans
    Aah, finally we get to the bottom of things.

You guys think 20 million African Americans are more athletic than the rest of the world combined.

So you are a eugenist, like I said. That's fine. I think your assertion is ridiculous, but I'm not really going to sit here and argue with a proponent of eugenics.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Default Re: If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

Most of the points made here are pretty valid on both sides, so I figured I'd throw out a thought that hasn't been mentioned.

One of the major reasons the NFL is so insanely popular in the US and not abroad is because of it's structure. It is the only sport in the country that is not oversaturated. All of the other major sports are wildly oversaturated. Even a hardcore basketball fan like myself will probably miss 20% of the NBA playoff games played this year because the schedule is nuts. The late weeknight games by west coast teams, the Friday and Saturday night games that will conflict with social activities ...
    NFL Sunday rarely conflicts with a social activity, because it is in fact a social activity. It's Sunday schedule winds down the weekend. It's a chance to gather and rehash the week or weekend with your friends. The complaints of it being slow, of it only containing x amount of minutes of action over the course of a 3 hour game are fair to a point, but it's that same element that makes it a perfect social game, because it doesn't require 100% attention to follow it's narrative. If you walk into a soccer game and see a team losing 1-0, you don't necessarily know that the losing team has been on the offensive side of the field half the game and just couldn't finish, or that the leading goal was a fluke. Score, clock, possession, Field Position, are instantly understandable for an in the moment take on a football game. And don't underestimate the value of gambling on the NFLs popularity. It's scoring structure makes it the most accessible sport to bet on, and it's weekly layout makes it feel more socially reasonable, and more able to be prepped for with a week of newspaper coverage leading up to it.

Now the minutae of the game is incredibly difficult to understand. And that sparse schedule means that unless you were raised in the culture of football as most americans were to a degree (and I played my entire youth, and coach now), you're probably not going to pick it up jumping into a 16 game season.

The thing about NFL athletes is absurd. I'm personally of the mind that the NBA athlete is the best athlete in the world on average. But that's in part because the average is brought down by some of the NFLs heavier guys, who are amazing athletes in their own ways. But yeah, the level of athleticism of the average Linebacker, Safety, Corner, WR, and even TE these days, is absolutely off the charts.

And as for physicality, I know that some of these other sports are exceptionally physical. But those sports are contact sports, while football is the only sport I know of that's a collision sport. Outside of the combat sports, it's more dangerous than anything else. And even something like boxing rarely sees the instant impact type of injuries that football sees on week to week basis.

It think the "Difficulty to Play" argument holds a lot of water too. It is hard to play. Even at it's most basic level, it requires more space and people to play than most sports. It doesn't work on a 1v1 or even 2v2 level the way hoops does. Even soccer played against a wall works as 2v2. And even played well on american playgrounds by kids, it's the most bastardized version of the sports. Even if it's tackle being played, the two completions for a first down is a completely different animal than the chain style game that's really played. It is expensive to play, even in an organized setting.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ

You guys think 20 million African Americans are more athletic than the rest of the world combined.

So you are a eugenist, like I said. That's fine. I think your assertion is ridiculous, but I'm not really going to sit here and argue with a proponent of eugenics.
    Did he really ever claim to be a proponent of eugenics?

Quote Originally Posted by Maksimilian
    I dont know NFL because I dont think its the toughest sport in the world?

I probly hate America because I dont think its the greatest country in the world too.

[IMG]https://static.prtst.net/asset-proxy/777a3012de9a03a64b38fc093a6f5df66851b323/687474703a2f2f66696c65732e73686172656e61746f722e63 6f6d2f616d65726963615f6675636b5f796561685f62696b69 6e695f627265617374735f636f6c615f67756e5f6269675f6d 61632d73353830783732352d37313035302e6a7067/http://files.sharenator.com/america_****_yeah_bikini_breasts_cola_gun_big_mac-s580x725-71050.jpg[/IMG]
    Know you don't anything about the NFL because of your continual emphasis on "armour" as you put it. You have a lack of understanding of the dangers and also of the great athletes who play it. This has nothing to do with America, I don't care about that at all. Your complete dismissal of the sport is what gets me.

Local High School Star Andrew Wiggins's Avatar

what's your reasoning for calling them marginal athletes?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggins
    what's your reasoning for calling them marginal athletes?
    Marginal talent pool. It's not rocket science.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

If you don't think the ginormous slave trade did anything to African Americans in terms of physicality then you are in denial...simple as that

most African Americans don't deny this and understand it...watch a Chris Rock stand up

and you're right, no point in arguing it with someone that pretends it didn't happen

lol

by your logic, countries like lithuania have no business being competitive in basketball, yet they regularly are among the top 5 in the world

why do you think the talent pool is marginal?

if every NFL player and every soccer player on the planet all participated in a giant 100 M race the first 100 people to finish would all be from the NFL...

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    why do you think the talent pool is marginal?

if every NFL player and every soccer player on the planet all participated in a giant 100 M race the first 100 people to finish would all be from the NFL...
    this is untrue

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggins
    this is untrue
    it is mostly true...no way to prove it though

many NFL players have world class sprinter speed...were track stars in college

What about an IQ test?
    Why is that relevant to a conversation regarding athletes? The only IQ that matters in football is football IQ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i28MU8-lcw

^^^ Jacoby Ford 40 yard dash

can Beckham do that?...lol

What about an IQ test?
    What was the relevance of that question?

This thread will only be useful to The Macho Man.