Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Decent college freshman

Default Re: this made me feel bad for kobe

Common traits of a narcissist:

-The classic narcissistic defense is to shape an invulnerable persona, the mask of someone indifferent to what anyone thinks. But the narcissist actually cares very much what everyone thinks.

Kobe's "warrior" persona. He supposedly cares about nothing but winning but ended up giving up on the Lakers this season even when he was cleared to play. Wanted to absolve himself of any blame that would be associated with this trainwreck of a season. Basically threw the team under the bus.

-Narcissists don't have friends, they have acolytes. Friends are too risky.

Kobe and his zombie fanbase.

-All interpersonal interactions are about control, not communication.

Kobe doesn't have close relationships with any of his teammates. He sees other Laker players as a means to an end. He sees them as employees while envisioning himself as the boss of the company.

-A narcissist's relationships are wildly asymmetrical and hypocritical

Like what Shaq wrote in the above excerpt. Kobe doesn't want to associate himself with the other guys on the team but expects them to run to his side when he needs them.

-A narcissist expects concessions that he wouldn't dream of granting to others.

Kobe blaming Shaq for healing on company time yet Kobe does the same thing last year.

-A narcissist feels entitled to things that defy reason.

Kobe and his bloated contract. Nowhere near a top 5 player in the NBA and he's coming off a bad injury. Yet he feels entitled to be paid 30 mil a year. Lebron, in comparison, was only paid 19 mil last year.

-To a narcissist, nothing is ever good enough, and it's always someone else's fault.

Kobe throwing his teammates under the bus. 2006 playoffs come to mind. Steve Nash owns him, Kobe quits in game 7. Yet he has the audacity to blame the other guys on the roster. Been doing this for years - blaming Gasol, Dwight, Shaq, etc.

-Narcissists struggle to disassociate themselves from personal accountability. for example by using a plural pronoun where a singular one would make more sense. Saying "we are unhappy" is preferred over "I am unhappy," because an imaginary plural entity can't be bargained with.

When Kobe plays bad defense and it results in a loss, he will usually say something like this:

"We played bad defense tonight" instead of "I played bad defense."

-Narcissists, eager to take credit when things go right, refuse to accept responsibility when things go wrong, and cannot engage in constructive self-criticism.

When Kobe's unable to get the Lakers into the playoffs(2005, 2014) or past the first round(2006, 2007), his go-to-excuse is to blame the other players. Does a radio tour and demands to be traded. When he wins the title on a stacked team, he'll take all the credit while refusing to acknowledge the contributions of his teammates(Gasol and Metta carrying his ass in game 7 when he went 6-24)

-Narcissists cannot see how their behavior looks to others, and if confronted by their own behavior in another, refuse to accept it.

Klinsman calls out Kobe and his bloated salary. Kobe gets offended and retorts back with gibberish. He claims his contract doesn't limit LA and basically uses the average fan's lack of knowledge to win them over. Kobe's one of the greatest media manipulators in sports history so he's able to get away with this crap.

Kobe (today) comes off as a...normal dude.

Not extroverted...but not a basement dweller either (like most of these armchair psychologist on ISH).

Banned

Kobe's a fakkit guys it's not that hard to understand

You guys should just stan someone else

Quote Originally Posted by dubeta
    Kobe's a fakkit guys it's not that hard to understand

You guys should just stan someone else
    Or how about don't stan anyone at all, considering that living vicariously through someone else's achievements is a weak ass thing to do?

Shaq was/is such an asshole

College superstar

So rapist get no support from Shaq then he goes and rats on Shaq to the Cops........

National High School Star

Kobe just isn't a very likable person. He hasn't really changed that much, this wasn't something only in his first couple years. He had multiple rings and it was like this already.

Remember the story of NOBODY showing up to his daughters birthday party? That's sad.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Force
    Kobe just isn't a very likable person. He hasn't really changed that much, this wasn't something only in his first couple years. He had multiple rings and it was like this already.

Remember the story of NOBODY showing up to his daughters birthday party? That's sad.
    Kareem's son also confirmed on reddit that Kobe's an asshole in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Artillery

-The classic narcissistic defense is to shape an invulnerable persona, the mask of someone indifferent to what anyone thinks. But the narcissist actually cares very much what everyone thinks.

Kobe's "warrior" persona. He supposedly cares about nothing but winning but ended up giving up on the Lakers this season even when he was cleared to play. Wanted to absolve himself of any blame that would be associated with this trainwreck of a season. Basically threw the team under the bus.

Kobe doesn't have close relationships with any of his teammates. He sees other Laker players as a means to an end. He sees them as employees while envisioning himself as the boss of the company.

Like what Shaq wrote in the above excerpt. Kobe doesn't want to associate himself with the other guys on the team but expects them to run to his side when he needs them.

Kobe blaming Shaq for healing on company time yet Kobe does the same thing last year.

Kobe and his bloated contract. Nowhere near a top 5 player in the NBA and he's coming off a bad injury. Yet he feels entitled to be paid 30 mil a year. Lebron, in comparison, was only paid 19 mil last year.

-To a narcissist, nothing is ever good enough, and it's always someone else's fault.

Kobe throwing his teammates under the bus. 2006 playoffs come to mind. Steve Nash owns him, Kobe quits in game 7. Yet he has the audacity to blame the other guys on the roster. Been doing this for years - blaming Gasol, Dwight, Shaq, etc.

-Narcissists struggle to disassociate themselves from personal accountability. for example by using a plural pronoun where a singular one would make more sense. Saying "we are unhappy" is preferred over "I am unhappy," because an imaginary plural entity can't be bargained with.

When Kobe plays bad defense and it results in a loss, he will usually say something like this:

-Narcissists, eager to take credit when things go right, refuse to accept responsibility when things go wrong, and cannot engage in constructive self-criticism.

When Kobe's unable to get the Lakers into the playoffs(2005, 2014) or past the first round(2006, 2007), his go-to-excuse is to blame the other players. Does a radio tour and demands to be traded. When he wins the title on a stacked team, he'll take all the credit while refusing to acknowledge the contributions of his teammates(Gasol and Metta carrying his ass in game 7 when he went 6-24)

-Narcissists cannot see how their behavior looks to others, and if confronted by their own behavior in another, refuse to accept it.

Klinsman calls out Kobe and his bloated salary. Kobe gets offended and retorts back with gibberish. He claims his contract doesn't limit LA and basically uses the average fan's lack of knowledge to win them over. Kobe's one of the greatest media manipulators in sports history so he's able to get away with this crap.
    Excellent and astute analysis.

Banned

Did Kobe even have any friends in High School?

With LeBron you hear about his LRMR company founded by him and his 3 best friends, and you also hear about the bond with him and his varsity team, whom he still hangs out with to this day and treats like brothers. Heck there was an entire documentary about their brotherly friendship. How come Kobe doesnt have any stories like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Artillery

didn't read.
    But dam... going full pauk mode.....

It's obviously missing a lot of information, but at the end of the day always be the bigger man and help someone whose going through a crisis. I don't respect Brian Shaw's POV. Kobe did throw Shaq under the bus so I understand his beef, but not his other teammates.

Decent college freshman

More Shaq quotes on Kobe:

"My first Lakers season we had a couple of rookies, and we hazed them pretty badly. We were dogging them out constantly. It was "Go get my bags, go get me something to eat." It was kind of a rite of passage in the NBA that a lot of teams do, but we probably went a little too far with it. One of the rookies—Derek Fisher—just took it. The other rookie—Kobe Bryant—ratted us out to Jerry West."

Respect for Fisher

lol at Kobe snitching on his teammates. No wonder they hate him.

He was so young and so immature in some ways, but I can tell you this: everything Kobe is doing now, he told me all the way back then he was going to do it. We were sitting on the bus once and he told me, "I'm going to be the number one scorer for the Lakers, I'm going to win five or six championships, and I'm going to be the best player in the game." I was like, "Okay, whatever." Then he looked me right in the eye and said, "I'm going to be the Will Smith of the NBA.

Local High School Star Goldrush25's Avatar

Kobe is not "anti-social." He's introverted. There's a difference. He's just a person that is happiest when he's by himself. I'm the same way.

People misuse the term "antisocial." That's a recognized psychatric personality disorder characterized by a disregard for social norms. People with antisocial personality disorder are actually usually very skilled in social settings. They use people to get what they want and see no issues in breaking social norms to do so. They actually have no regard for social norms, and aren't capable of remorse. Think most con artists.
    Last edited by Goldrush25; 07-03-2014 at 05:53 PM.