Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: The GOAT surprised by the talk of shortening season

Easy to say that when you're watching from a box :

"Back in my day we walked uphill both ways in the snow to the stadium and played 82 games and we liked it"

Bron is such a sissy.

MJ hit it on the head when he said even if they shortened season he'd still be playing games Cus he love playing.

Slayed bron.

Quote Originally Posted by Bless Mathews
    Bron is such a sissy.

MJ hit it on the head when he said even if they shortened season he'd still be playing games Cus he love playing.

Slayed bron.
    Has nothing to do with wear/tear, the physical stuff or love for the game.... its because of this:

"I think you don't need 82 games to determine the best eight in each conference," Nowitzki said. "That could be done a lot quicker, but I always understand that it's about money, and every missed game means missed money for both parties, for the league, for the owners, for the players. I understand all that, and that's why I don't think it's going to change anytime soon."
    Last edited by pauk; 10-16-2014 at 10:26 AM.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    Easy to say that when you're watching from a box :

"Back in my day we walked uphill both ways in the snow to the stadium and played 82 games and we liked it"
    Yeah cause Jordan didn't play the same exact schedule

Sheesh

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

part of the reason the 82 games has merit is because it ensures that both individual and team stamina and mental strength are part of what it takes to win a championship.

sounds like bron wants to eliminate these criteria for winning a championship...

ofc, not surprised at all... standard lebron - it's just his latest cheat code in his futile effort to catch the all-time greats (while doing less than they did).
    Last edited by 3ball; 10-16-2014 at 10:27 AM.

It's a difficult question IMO.

On one hand, I don't like the prospect of <48 minutes or <82 games or <7 game playoff series. Never cared for the 5 game series, and from my understanding the 3 game series were even worse back in the day; I absolutely hate single elimination tournaments in the playoffs, and it's a big part of why I can't get into March Madness or the NFL playoffs. Hard for me to support a system that doesn't find the best team so much as the hottest elite team. I think our league does a good job of that.

Now, if it would improve the product, maybe it's something worth considering. But I don't think that's a lock. Smart teams (see the Spurs) put together quality rotations, and their stars aren't worn out come the postseason.

lebron wants to remove mental strength and stamina from the criteria for winning a championship.

shortening the games to 44 minutes or reducing the season to 60-odd games would be ridiculous.

getting to rack up a bunch of championships by only having to win 60-odd games is flat-out a lower bar than previous eras.
    Last edited by 3ball; 10-16-2014 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    part of the reason the 82 games has merit is because it ensures that both individual and team stamina and mental strength are part of what it takes to win a championship.

sounds like bron wants to eliminate these criteria for winning a championship...

ofc, not surprised at all... standard lebron - it's just his latest cheat code in his futile effort to catch the all-time greats.
    Will you for once use your own judgement instead of trying to side with MJ all the time?

...you dont need 82 games to determine the 8 best teams for each conference, thats the main thing the regular season is there for afterall, playing 130 games or 60 games will give you the same exact results........ the only difference is that 60 games cuts to the chase the fastest...... after 60 games the games become more and more meaningless.... within 70-75 games many of the stars take even a break if you havent noticed, it has nothing to do with "rest" really, its just useless, its monotonous....
    Last edited by pauk; 10-16-2014 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Will you for once use your own judgement instead of trying to side with MJ all the time?

...you dont need 82 games to determine the 8 best teams for each conference, thats the main thing the regular season is there for afterall, playing 130 games or 60 games will give you the same exact results........ the only difference is that 60 games cuts to the chase the fastest......
    We've all seen the injuries and guys getting broken down.

The players want to reduce the length of the season because of mental and physical wear-and-tear.

Cutting the season to 60 games would reduce the level of stamina and mental strength that it takes to win a championship - you can't see that?

GOAT..?

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    We've all seen the injuries and guys getting broken down.

The players want to reduce the length of the season because of mental and physical wear-and-tear.

Cutting the season to 60 games would reduce the level of stamina and mental strength that it takes to win a championship - you can't see that?
    The games would be played more regularely, more with urgency as each game means something more than it would with 82 games... it would be more competitive there AND it would give more health/energy hence competition where it truly matters in the playoffs..... with other words it would more like only INCREASE the criteria/stamina/mental strength for winning a championship.... you cant see THAT?
    Last edited by pauk; 10-16-2014 at 10:42 AM.

...you dont need 82 games to determine the 8 best teams for each conference, thats the main thing the regular season is there for afterall, playing 130 games or 60 games will give you the same exact results........ the only difference is that 60 games cuts to the chase the fastest...... after 60 games the games become more and more meaningless.... within 70-75 games many of the stars take even a break if you havent noticed, it has nothing to do with "rest" really, its just useless, its monotonous....
    Strongly, strongly disagree.

We usually don't know who the final seeds in the West will be until the last week of the season, and the battles for HCA and top overall seed are usually very tight as well.

If you cut the season down to 60 games, you'll have different teams 1-8 (in terms of inclusion, and seeding).

The games would be played more regularely, more with urgency as each game means something more than it would with 82 games... AND it would give more health/energy hence competition where it truly matters in the playoffs..... with other words it would more like only INCREASE the criteria/stamina/mental strength for winning a championship.... you cant see THAT?
    No, he can't. He's a fking idiot

If teams are fresher for the playoffs they're less worn down and the competition is fiercer.

The games would be played more regularely, more with urgency as each game means something more than it would with 82 games... AND it would give more health/energy hence competition where it truly matters in the playoffs..... with other words it would more like only INCREASE the criteria for winning a championship.... you cant see THAT?
    20+ less games per season INCREASES the requirement to win a championship eh?

It increases the requirement because guys would be fresher in the playoffs so they would play harder?

That's your argument?

This is evidence that apparently, you'll say the sky is red to support your guy... at least i come with real stats and logic.

So players want to make sure their bodies stay healthy and MJ is like BUT WE LOSE MONEYYY!!