Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: DeJuan Blair

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Default Re: DeJuan Blair

He reminds me of Jason Maxiell alot. Good pick for the Spurs, he won't be starting and will never be a really good player but he'll be a good role player for sure. If he was 6'11 he probably would of been a top 10 pick. He'll probably get 10-15 minutes a game, he won't be starting and he has to play along side a Tall center(Duncan). I like the pick gives them more depth now, gives them minutes for the loss of Oberto and Thomas. They just need to sign a another big(preferably center) to go along with a great off-season they had.

Parker/Hill
    Manu/Mason
    RJ/Udoka/Bowen?
    MLE or Gooden/Bonner/Blair
    Duncan/Bonner/Mahinimi?

They definitely need another big, Duncan is not getting younger and I'm not sure they can count on those young guys too give them big minutes. They can possibly resign Gooden and sign a MLE big(if they have the money). Also vet minimum signings will help them out.

Banned

Definetly the steal of the Draft, thats why after we passed on him it took only 1 minute for San Antonio to make the pick and have Adam Silver announce it.

At first thought I think of Malik Rose, who Popovich loved and San Antonio gave a horrible long term contract to after winning 2 Championships in San Antonio.

If Blair can come off the bench like Rose did and put up equal production as basically an undersized big body workhorse at PF then he should have a role immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by blacknapalm
    somewhere popovich is laughing hysterically
    Totally.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

He's a case of NBA GMs putting too much emphasis on height. He's got the length/reach and body type to make up for it. He's a BIG body, just look at him next to Thabeet, it's ridiculous. Plus he has a lot of game and good agility/mobility and great hands. He's a guy people from 20 on down will regret on.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

IMO he fell strictly because of the medical assessments during the assessment process. I don't think anyone wanted to give him a guaranteed contract in the first round.

He didn't miss any time in college, but there is a HUGE difference in the strain that an NBA schedule puts on the body versus college.

That being said, he should have been the first guy taken in the second round.

If he stays healthy, that's a heck of a steal.

I'm in for the Dajuan Blair bandwagon.

How can't you love a guy that is always giving 100% -and anyone can see that-. I knew about his ACL problems before the draft, but I just couldn't believe he was falling to the 2nd round.

I was really shocked last night about his situation. I mean, just a couple of weeks ago Blair was a consensus lock for the lottery.

San Antonio is a great place for him. He will get a chance top play and prove doubters wrong.

And besides Blair's game, you have to love his good humor. Off court guy always seems to be smiling and making jokes. SA will love him.

They said that Blair was undersized because he was measured at 6'5.25" (without shoes), but this guy was one of the best PF's in College.

Blair averaged 16 ppg, and 12 rpg in his Sophomore Season.

His wingspan is 7'2" that's why I think he's going to be solid rebounder in the NBA ala Prime Anthony Mason and Paul Milsap.
    Last edited by Lebron23; 07-11-2009 at 08:23 AM.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Spurs are always the fcukers that snatch up these brilliant picks. It's no wonder why they are the most consistent team, and have been among the top of the standings for 25+ years.
    WTF? The spurs were nothing until the late 90s. SO, thats basically a decade, not 25+ years. and for every "brilliant" pick by the spurs, you can find another wasted one. The only brilliant picks were parker and manu, both foreign players (which the spurs were way ahead of almost everyone else on). Mason and the other recent picks are still in the making, so we'll see.

The guy knows how to get position and has an uncanny knack for sniffing out the ball. The dude is going to be a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by unknown101
    I think he will be kind of like Charles Barkley if the whole ACL thing doesn't ruin his career.

GJ by the Spurs

Pick up Dionte Christmas in free agency and you got 2 of the biggest steals in the draft
    Charles Barkely played above the rim for the majority of his career, and had perimeter skills to compliment his work in the post. DeJuan Blair is not much of a leaper, and is still raw in the post. He gets it done on offense mostly due to his brute strength. It remains to be seen whether or not he will be able to bully the grown men he will face in the NBA. His ceiling is more than likely going to be that of former Spurs player Malik Rose.

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    WTF? The spurs were nothing until the late 90s.

And how about the prime David Robinson times?

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Papaya Petee
    And how about the prime David Robinson times?
    pretty much all the late 90s. (last half of the 90s)

I am Chris Wilcox

Here's an article on Blair, put up a couple of days ago...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sacultura/50354512.html

Enjoy!

I can't wait to see this guy in the NBA, it's about time we seen a guy come along and show as much determination on the boards as Blair does.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Dasher
    Charles Barkely played above the rim for the majority of his career, and had perimeter skills to compliment his work in the post. DeJuan Blair is not much of a leaper, and is still raw in the post. He gets it done on offense mostly due to his brute strength. It remains to be seen whether or not he will be able to bully the grown men he will face in the NBA. His ceiling is more than likely going to be that of former Spurs player Malik Rose.
    I disagree somewhat Blairs skillset is higher than Malik Rose and he's a better athlete,Now he isnt as athletic as Maxiel but again,he's a better rebounder with a higher skillset,he will be better than both of these guys,he could be about as good as Clareance Wheatherspoon was,he was as athaletic as Maxiel or Wheatherspoon before the knee surguries.

Quote Originally Posted by T-bomb 25
    I disagree somewhat Blairs skillset is higher than Malik Rose and he's a better athlete,Now he isnt as athletic as Maxiel but again,he's a better rebounder with a higher skillset,he will be better than both of these guys,he could be about as good as Clareance Wheatherspoon was,he was as athaletic as Maxiel or Wheatherspoon before the knee surguries.
    What skill set? Blair is not on the court busting out reverse pivots. He is not crossing guys over. He is just a very strong player who positions himself for rebounds well. He does not have the skillset of Clarence Weatherspoon who came into the league with an advanced skill set on the offensive end. You can talk about the athlete he was, but it does not matter now. His knees are gone, and he can not play above the rim. His reach is impressive, but you have to note that there are taller players who are even longer than him.