Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Default Monta Ellis vs O.J. Mayo

There were talks of an O.J. Mayo for Monta Ellis trade a few weeks ago, it never materialized however. Originally I was happy the warriors didn't do this trade, but on second thought I would probably go ahead and do it. I think Monta Ellis is a better player slightly, but Mayo would be a better fit in the direction the warriors are going. This is how I see the two as of now.

ball handling - monta
    3 point range - mayo
    defense - wash
    age - mayo
    distributing - wash
    finishing at the rim - monta
    length - mayo
    athleticism - monta
    contracts (value) - mayo
    overall talent - monta

I have Monta as the better player, but not by much.

Default Re: Monta Ellis vs O.J. Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    There were talks of an O.J. Mayo for Monta Ellis trade a few weeks ago, it never materialized however. Originally I was happy the warriors didn't do this trade, but on second thought I would probably go ahead and do it. I think Monta Ellis is a better player slightly, but Mayo would be a better fit in the direction the warriors are going. This is how I see the two as of now.

ball handling - monta
    3 point range - mayo
    defense - wash
    age - mayo
    distributing - wash
    length - mayo
    athleticism - monta
    contracts (value) - mayo
    overall talent - monta

in b4 OJ a 6'4 Mamba calls that last point invalid, and probably a lot more. But Mayo is def the better overall talent imo. You mentioned 3point range, but not jumpshot inside the arc, which Mayo has the edge in again. I like Mayo better.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan

ball handling - monta
    3 point range - mayo
    defense - wash
    age - mayo
    distributing - wash
    length - mayo
    athleticism - monta
    contracts (value) - mayo
    overall talent - monta

Mayo is an excellent passer and a must better defender than monta ellis when motivated...

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by fubu05
    in b4 OJ a 6'4 Mamba calls that last point invalid, and probably a lot more. But Mayo is def the better overall talent imo. You mentioned 3point range, but not jumpshot inside the arc, which Mayo has the edge in again. I like Mayo better.
    I have to disagree on the jump shot inside the arc thing, monta shot 60.2% from the field Feb 2008 and in my opinion has one of the most consistent mid range jumpers in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby_D
    I have to disagree on the jump shot inside the arc thing, monta shot 60.2% from the field Feb 2008 and in my opinion has one of the most consistent mid range jumpers in the league.
    You cant honestly think Ellis has a better jumpshot from anywhere than OJ Mayo, GS gets so many easy buckets its not even fair to look at stats.

Banned

what is to compare? One is tall and one is short.

Banned

I'd personally rather have O.J Mayo on my team rather than Ellis. Who's better? Probably Ellis, at least at this point. Mayo is just more mature for me and his game isn't as reckless like Ellis' game is. OJ Mayo. One feature that amazes me the most about Mayo is his FG%. I'm sure most of us thought that this guy was going to be a streaky, high volume scorer like what Brandon Jennings is right now. His 3 point percentage has been quite consistent as well with 38% this season and last season.

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

monte is the 2nd best player in the league after kobe bryant

Quote Originally Posted by inclinerator

Local High School Star chitownsfinest's Avatar

'Tay has really nice passing skills but just isn't a willing enough passer. I'd also say he is a better scorer then OJ as well. You can say Monta's stats are inflated due to the syastem he plays in, but he has a really wet mid range J, is a good finisher around the rim, and can get to the rim at ease (but is turnover prone as well). OJ just isn't as explosive as a scorer but has a better outside shot. He also plays on a team full of scorers unlike monta but I feel Ellis is just the better overall scorer at this point regardless of system.

Overall, I would take Monta over Mayo.

Good High School Starter

One guy just chucks the 3 ball every night coz he got a lot of D-Leaguers on his team. Put Monta on a good team he would suck.

Mayo all night long.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by inclinerator
    I can dunk 13 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by ODEN>DURANT
    One guy just chucks the 3 ball every night coz he got a lot of D-Leaguers on his team. Put Monta on a good team he would suck.

Mayo all night long.
    He was good playing along Baron Davis a couple seasons ago

Banned

i would say Monta is the better player right now

Power32 (OJ Mayo) O.J A 6'4Mamba's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fubu05

*clears throat*

OJ Mayo is the better talent/potential(kobe potential). Monta is a class act he is a better player right now. There is no shame in that Monta 25/4/5. Even Jerry Stackhouse was better than Young Kobe in his second year. Both class acts, but i think this video speaks for itself, Mayo made Monta fall on his *** without pushing him .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH5o0bXFEqg