Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Laimbeer vs Barkley, Bird, MJ, Parish, Magic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9ZzF88xKkY

That Barkley vs Laimbeer fight was the original Malice at the Palace. Man, I miss shit like this, when we had real rivalries and teams/players hated each other.

Default Re: Laimbeer vs Barkley, Bird, MJ, Parish, Magic

That was the apex of basketball. You had to be tough to play. Real rivalries were the result. Teams and cities hating each other. It's cringeworthy how soft the game is today. All that superstar buddy buddy stuff makes me sick. The NBA has taken emotion and physicality out of the game and when you do that, you take away an essential part of the game.

Yeah, so tough. Risk getting a career threatening injury for some spilled milk. Why don't you just watch boxing, you savage?

Pound for pound, Isiah has to be the toughest SOB to ever play. He was just a straight killer and loved getting into fights, throwing haymakers at 7 footers and not giving a f'ck. He just loved going to war. The Pistons don't win sh't without him. He was the heart and soul of that team.

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    Pound for pound, Isiah has to be the toughest SOB to ever play. He was just a straight killer and loved getting into fights, throwing haymakers at 7 footers and not giving a f'ck. He just loved going to war. The Pistons don't win sh't without him. He was the heart and soul of that team.
    His game 6 performance in that Pistons Finals loss was legendary but then he couldnt play Game 7 because he took it too far.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorP
    Yeah, so tough. Risk getting a career threatening injury for some spilled milk. Why don't you just watch boxing, you savage?
    The game was played differently back then. Fighting was the result of the physicality, not the goal. If you were starting to get a little too successful, then the team's resident goon would commit a hard foul to discourage that guy from coming hard the next time. You might call it barbaric when compared to today's Charmin soft era but that's the way it was. It was just played much more physical both in the paint and on the perimeter.

His game 6 performance in that Pistons Finals loss was legendary but then he couldnt play Game 7 because he took it too far.
    He sprained his ankle, landing on Coop's feet. That had nothing to do with physicality but just a basketball injury.

The game was played differently back then. Fighting was the result of the physicality, not the goal. If you were starting to get a little too successful, then the team's resident goon would commit a hard foul to discourage that guy from coming hard the next time. You might call it barbaric when compared to today's Charmin soft era but that's the way it was. It was just played much more physical both in the paint and on the perimeter.
    Yeah and Karl Malone was...

This was crazy.

He sprained his ankle, landing on Coop's feet. That had nothing to do with physicality but just a basketball injury.
    True. He played through it like a badass but paid for it in the long run.

NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

That was the apex of basketball. You had to be tough to play. Real rivalries were the result. Teams and cities hating each other. It's cringeworthy how soft the game is today. All that superstar buddy buddy stuff makes me sick. The NBA has taken emotion and physicality out of the game and when you do that, you take away an essential part of the game.
    The problem is the same fans like you who praise that behaviour will shit on the same players who play with the same edge today. The players didn't get softer, the new aged fans who facked the game up. Ron Artest, Bruce Bowen, Rasheed Wallace, Demarcus Cousins....get chastised by fans like you and the league handcuffs them. You ruined them, the league and players didn't change. Kobe played with an edge and arrogance. He hated players. Did you ever praise him? No. So quit getting nolstagic and blame yourself

Just when I thought the Bulls put an end to Bad Boys type basketball, along came some Badder Boys in the Knicks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GcsNhxezpU

Quote Originally Posted by DaHeezy
    The problem is the same fans like you who praise that behaviour will shit on the same players who play with the same edge today. The players didn't get softer, the new aged fans who facked the game up. Ron Artest, Bruce Bowen, Rasheed Wallace, Demarcus Cousins....get chastised by fans like you and the league handcuffs them. You ruined them, the league and players didn't change. Kobe played with an edge and arrogance. He hated players. Did you ever praise him? No. So quit getting nolstagic and blame yourself
    The players aren't soft. They will be as physical as the rules will allow them. It's the NBA rules that force the league to be so soft. So it's on the rule makers, not the players. I'm not trying to come across as some nostalgic guy bashing today's era. I love the NBA today but it is way too soft and I think most people will agree. You have to let grown men bang a little.

The players aren't soft. They will be as physical as the rules will allow them. It's the NBA rules that force the league to be so soft. So it's on the rule makers, not the players. I'm not trying to come across as some nostalgic guy bashing today's era. I love the NBA today but it is way too soft and I think most people will agree. You have to let grown men bang a little.
    Fair enough. A middle-ground would be best but I prefer seeing skills to freakish bullying.

Fair enough. A middle-ground would be best but I prefer seeing skills to freakish bullying.
    The game is very specialized today, mostly based on 3 pt shooting, spacing and p&r. Gone is the post game and midrange game. In the past, most great scorers got their points that way. Not today. You can't say this era is the most skilled when most guys lack the footwork to operate out of the post or devastate you from the midrange because you also need great footwork to be a great midrange scorer. Footwork is such a fundamental part of the game and it's lacking today.

It's all about the 3 today. From 1-5, every position looks to shoot the 3. Way too specialized.

National High School Star

Gone were the intensity come playoffs, where games can pass up for a pay-per-view

just look at '90s Eastern Conference Playoffs (Heat-Knicks, Bulls-Knicks, Pistons-Bulls, Pacers-Knicks, Bulls-Heat)