Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: BREAKING: Jazz Sign Joe Johnson, 2 yrs/$22 Million

Quote Originally Posted by Prime_Shaq
    Dude doesn't even care about getting a ring at this point
    Maybe none of the contenders wanted him?

Only 2 years so if it doesn't work out then he's a trade piece the year after as an expirer to add to a deal.
    We don't know how it's structured yet. Could be front loaded or have an option next year. They didn't overpay so they should be able to deal him later.

As long as he can still hit the 3 at a reliable rate then he should be OK. Jazz like to use their wings as the main ball handlers at times, so JJ will fit in there too and give them plenty of options to play with combos of Exum, Burks, Hood, Hayward and JJ, guys that all have length and the ability to switch up on D and run the offence as well.
    Yeah he should be a great fit. Hill and Lyles should be part of that group too.

Local High School Star CakeorDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WayOfWad3
    Still going to be a deep team though,
    G. Hill/D. Exum
    R. Hood/A. Burks
    G. Hayward/J. Johnson
    D. Favors/Trey Lyles
    R. Gobert/J. Withey

This franchise wants to make the playoffs, and with this added depth they should be able to overcome any injury hurdles that come their way like they did last season
    Even though JJ was brought in for depth and bench scoring, I'm betting he starts, at least at the beginning of the year. Jazz will look to push Hood's development by using JJ to make Hood fight for a starting spot. Hood was too inconsistent last year; some nights he looked like a star, other nights, clankity clank clank.

To start the year, I see the depth chart as:

Hill/Exum/Mack
    Hayward/Burks
    Johnson/Hood
    Favors/Lyles/Booker??
    Gobert/Guy yet to be signed

With Exum and Hood starting over Hill and Johnson by the end of the year if the Jazz get the development out of those two they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    Neto was certainly better than anything we've seen from Exum
    Exum's defense was/is better than anything Neto has ever done on a basketball court, or will ever do. Hill signing shows Jazz saw the defense at the 1 last year as a huge problem. Hill and Exum will be on the floor at PG 90% of the time, if for no other reason than to play D. Hayward/JJ/Burks will initiate the offense if the trust in Hill/Exum to do so isn't there. But that won't keep Hill/Exum off the floor. Betting Neto D-Leagues or is traded.

Quote Originally Posted by WayOfWad3
    True, at least Snyder was able to admit he should've played Wothey more. With Booker probably leaving this off season though (fingers crossed he doesn't), that should open minutes up for Withey
    Jazz still have $20M to spend even before they dump Trey Burke and Withey. Betting they resign Booker; perfect energy guy, everyone loves him, he loves Utah. The Jazz will also sign one more FA, and it will be a veteran big on a similar contract to Johnson. Don't be surprised if it is Pau Gasol. Smart veteran with gobs of playoff experience, can play either 4 or 5, spreads the floor, proven scorer, good rebounder, and his defense is fine for the minutes we'll be asking him to play. Old enough where his contract and playing time demands won't limit our ability to re-sign the core or stagnate the development of our younger guys. If they can't lure Gasol, I could see Ian Mahimi or Zaza Pachulia being targets.

Hill/Exum/Mack
    Hayward/Burks
    Johnson/Hood
    Favors/Lyles/Booker
    Gobert/Gasol

Would be a fine lineup with ability to go big or small. Quality depth at every position. Can spread the floor, play fast or slow, and probably top 5-8 in team defense.

Not championship material, but would be a tough out in the playoffs. A scrappy, smart team no one would be excited to play.

Quote Originally Posted by CakeorDeath
    Exum's defense was/is better than anything Neto has ever done on a basketball court, or will ever do.
    Yet he was one of the worst offensive players ever. A less energetic Chris Johnson at the defensive end. The two deals the Jazz have made tell me they aren't sure Exum will be ready to start the year. He's got a lot to prove. I'd rather have Neto's 3 and d /pick and roll game than Exum's D and nothing game assuming he can still defend after knee surgery.

Hill signing shows Jazz saw the defense at the 1 last year as a huge problem.
    The D from the 2 was worse. I think they see Hill as a player not necessarily their pg. Everyone seems to have forgotten Mack was one of their best players and ran the offense better than anyone since Deron was traded. I'd start Mack and Hill right now. I'm guessing Mack might be traded.

Hill and Exum will be on the floor at PG 90% of the time, if for no other reason than to play D.
    I got to see something from Exum before I give him anything.

Hayward/JJ/Burks will initiate the offense if the trust in Hill/Exum to do so isn't there.
    Mack ran it better and I think Neto looked good when they let him run the offense too.

But that won't keep Hill/Exum off the floor. Betting Neto D-Leagues or is traded.
    Hill and Mack will be free agents. I see them keeping Neto. He should be the back-up pg right now. You're really under rating him. Their best line-ups last year had him in them. One of their best shooters and defenders.

Jazz still have $20M to spend even before they dump Trey Burke and Withey.
    They should be looking to give the money to Favors if he'll take it. Withey should play too but they don't like him.

Betting they resign Booker; perfect energy guy, everyone loves him, he loves Utah.
    Everyone doesn't love him amazingly enough. As long as it's for the right price and role I'm all for it. Johnson brought D and energy too,

The Jazz will also sign one more FA, and it will be a veteran big on a similar contract to Johnson. Don't be surprised if it is Pau Gasol. Smart veteran with gobs of playoff experience, can play either 4 or 5, spreads the floor, proven scorer, good rebounder, and his defense is fine for the minutes we'll be asking him to play. Old enough where his contract and playing time demands won't limit our ability to re-sign the core or stagnate the development of our younger guys. If they can't lure Gasol, I could see Ian Mahimi or Zaza Pachulia being targets.
    I can't see Gasol. I doubt they'll get an upgrade on Withey. I can see them going with Gobert/Favors/Lyles with Hayward/Johnson/Hood playing some 4 and when they need to go big against certain teams they'll have someone for 6 fouls. Might be Pleiss.

realcavsfans.com ‏@realcavsfans 1h1 hour ago
    Utah needs that mentor, that vet to teach the young kids what it takes to be team players and winners. Let's go out and get Iso Joe.

They needed a vet and a shooter. They got it with Hill and Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode

realcavsfans.com ‏@realcavsfans 1h1 hour ago
    Utah needs that mentor, that vet to teach the young kids what it takes to be team players and winners. Let's go out and get Iso Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    They needed a vet and a shooter. They got it with Hill and Johnson.
    He's not a shooter though. He's ISO Joe.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: Jazz to sign Joe Johnson, 2 yrs/$22 Million

joe johnson shouldnt be a starter.. sixth man role would do him nice though

Hill / Exum
    Hood / Burks
    Hayward / Johnson
    Favors / Lyles
    Gobert / Withey

Dangerous team. Honestly would not be surprised if they won 50+.

Be disappointing if they didn't win at least 50

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    Hill / Exum
    Hood / Burks
    Hayward / Johnson
    Favors / Lyles
    Gobert / Withey

Dangerous team. Honestly would not be surprised if they won 50+.
    They almost definitely should, however this team has underachieved in the past. However the fact that the front office is actually doing stuff is huge

A year late but the front office is finally on board with winning. Hopefully the coach is.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

why would any one want a washed up shooting guard that can't ball.