Default If Shaq is top 5, what is Tim Duncan? Shaq has the stats but Duncan the accolades

Shaq is actually at the #4 position in the top 10 GOATs (In most basketball websites) I know Shaq's peak was one of the most amazing ever. But it's not the end of the story here.

People have Duncan after Shaq & Kobe

Fact is, he had a better career than both.

2 MVPs back-to-back
    In his debut year in the NBA (1998), he was voted Rookie of the Year and elected into the All-NBA Rookie Team. He has been named to 14 NBA All-Star Teams (1997

National High School Star Jlamb47's Avatar

Default Re: If Shaq is top 5, what is Tim Duncan? Shaq has the stats but Duncan the accolades

Jordan
    Kareem
    Duncan
    Kobe
    Shaq
    Bird
    Magic
    Hakeem

I would add Wilt and Russell but i dont wanna

Default Re: If Shaq is top 5, what is Tim Duncan? Shaq has the stats but Duncan the accolades

all those ranking are subjective anyway.

Duncan and Shaq both don't deserve to be in the top 5

Quote Originally Posted by Jlamb47
    Jordan
    Kareem
    Duncan
    Kobe
    Shaq
    Bird
    Magic
    Hakeem

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Jlamb47
    Jordan
    Kareem
    Duncan
    Kobe
    Shaq
    Bird
    Magic
    Hakeem

Pretty much my list, too.

National High School Star SsKSpurs21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by riseagainst
    all those ranking are subjective anyway.
    definitely.

depending on who you ask and what their objective is, you will always get different answers.

MJ
    Kareem
    Wilt
    Magic
    Duncan
    Shaq
    Bird
    Russell
    Kobe
    Hakeem

That is my top 10. it will not match someone elses who has a different agenda to prop up their player...i will be labeled an idiot for my list...explicits will fly and name calling back and forth and everyone on ISH will be entertained...

They are basically interchangeable.

Shaq has the better peak season, but Duncan has the better peak Playoffs imo (though Duncan never touched Shaq's 00 Regular Season).

Shaq is the better offensive force, Duncan is better on defense.

Both have insane longevity. Shaq had a longer prime. Duncan brings more stability and leadership.

Both have 3 Finals MVPs.

I'd build around Duncan before Shaq but it's a tough question (I have Duncan ranked 5th all time and Shaq 6th).

National High School Star Jlamb47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spurs5Rings2014
    Pretty much my list, too.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

I don't care about top 10 or anything like that but they are both equally as good in different ways. Shaq could bully his way to a title and Duncan could "fundamental" his way to one. Both unstoppable in totally different ways. Shaq is the most physically dominant player in the history of basketball. He was so large and strong but he was also athletic and skilled. Deadly combo. Duncan is large and not as athletic but tremendously skilled.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    I don't care about top 10 or anything like that but they are both equally as good in different ways. Shaq could bully his way to a title and Duncan could "fundamental" his way to one. Both unstoppable in totally different ways. Shaq is the most physically dominant player in the history of basketball. He was so large and strong but he was also athletic and skilled. Deadly combo. Duncan is large and not as athletic but tremendously skilled.
    Duncan's length has almost always been his biggest advantage (aside from his first three seasons, before the knee injury, where it was his quickness).

He could block shots without jumping out of the gym, he could rebound over pretty much anyone (his offensive rebounding in his prime was outstanding), and he shoot over players in the post with ease.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    Duncan's length has almost always been his biggest advantage (aside from his first three seasons, before the knee injury, where it was his quickness).

He could block shots without jumping out of the gym, he could rebound over pretty much anyone (his offensive rebounding in his prime was outstanding), and he shoot over players in the post with ease.
    Agreed. Duncan's not really quick or athletic but he's really long and smart and has a lot of moves to be able to get his shot off when he wants to. He also knows how to use glass like nobody's business.

he is not top 5

Hakeem >> Tim Duncan >> Shaq