Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Paul Pierce lists his hardest players to guard in the league and number one is...

His list is...

5. Kobe Bryant

4. Tracy McGrady

3. Vince Carter

2. Lebron James

1. Carmelo Anthony

If I had to single one guy out who is the most difficult player to guard in the league, it would have to be Carmelo. He’s a unique blend of being big, strong, and athletic while also having a world-class shooting touch and a natural ability to get to the rim. That’s what sets him apart — every facet of his game is elite.

Some great players will have one or two particular skills that make them special. But Carmelo can do everything, which puts you in a baaad situation as a defender. A lot of guys might shoot better from certain areas, so you try to force them elsewhere on the floor. Carmelo doesn’t have a spot on the floor where he can’t consistently hit shots.

In my opinion, his combination of physicality and shooting touch is unmatched in the NBA. You can’t take one second off when you’re matched up against him.

Kobe is one of the best scorers in NBA history, but I don’t have as much trouble with him in the post as I do with Carmelo. LeBron is a great post-up player, but if you get him to settle for the jumper on some nights, you might be able to slow him down if his shot is off. That’s not the case with Melo. If you give him space to shoot, he’ll make it many more times than he misses it.

To put it plainly, he’s not a fun assignment on defense.

But then again, none of these guys are.

PAUL PIERCE
    http://www.theplayerstribune.com/pau...-ever-guarded/

I guess Melo will win something after all this year, the honor of being mentioned in an article by the Truth

Default Re: Paul Pierce lists his hardest players to guard in the league and number one is...

College superstar

Default Re: Paul Pierce lists his hardest players to guard in the league and number one is...

Kobe basically said the same thing.

I don't see Durant in that list

told ya best scorer in the game, durant can eat a d1ck

Maeru Perinawa Achali TaLvsCuaL's Avatar

To be fair, Melo problem never was his offensive capabilities.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

melo's natural ability to get to the rim

Ive never seen a worse leaper in my life.. hes got such little agility/dexterity or ability to manuever in traffic. Hes one of the worst slashers of all time given how much he scores.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    melo's natural ability to get to the rim

Ive never seen a worse leaper in my life.. hes got such little agility/dexterity or ability to manuever in traffic. Hes one of the worst slashers of all time given how much he scores.

Cmon now....

Even relative to his ppg...hes not among the worst ever. Too many straight up shooters have been in that 25ppg range.

50 year old Pierce can't guard anything so what does this mean???

Quote Originally Posted by Noyze
    He has guarded all of these players both in their primes and in his prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Noyze

Funny that PP mentions Kobe's 17-47 game.

"No one's ever taken 47 shots on me"

He should have kept going and said "and no one's ever missed 30 shots on me in a single game"

Good college starter Noob Saibot's Avatar

Paul Pierce is the truth on and off the court. #respect

Otoh he had no problems guarding Joe Johnson. Where's that gif

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

The list is funny to me because watching him as a Celtic the guy I always thought was hardest for him to stop (read: impossible) was Kevin Durant. It may be that the players think, when asked who is hardest to guard, about how hard they have to work and not necessarily the end result, whether or not they actually succeeded. That would explain why Pierce mentions the game where Bryant took 47 shots. Having to defend Bryant for most of that, Pierce had to work as hard as he ever has defensively. But Bryant missed 30 times and the Celtics won, so that was a good night for Pierce, unlike some random game where KD gets 30 and the Celtics lose where Pierce is just defending 15-20 shots.