Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Default peak Bird vs peak Lebron

Lebron will most likely beat out Bird in terms of longevity.
    But peak vs peak, I'd take Bird over Lebron.

we're talking about a similar height players but one weighs almost 50 pounds over the other.
    One is MUCH less athletic.
    One is arguably the greatest passer of all time.
    One plays OFF the ball, with a career USG% in the 24-26 range in regular season and the playoffs and still averaged 6.3 and 6.5 assists in the regular season and playoffs, respectively, with peak averages of 7.2 and 8.6, respectively.
    One averages 10 rebounds for regular season and playoffs. regular season and playoff TRB% of 14.2 and 13.9. averaged 15+ rebounds against Moses MAlone in 1981 playoffs and getting back to back 20+ rebound games.
    One is an incredible shooter.
    One won 3 consecutive MVPs.

That one is Larry Bird.

Default Re: peak Bird vs peak Lebron

Only those who were born in the 90s and up would say LBJ is the GOAT SF. I started watching basketball in the 80s and can say without a doubt that Larry Legend is the GOAT SF. If someone needs an explanation why I say this then it's clear that someone has never seen prime Larry Legend.

Banned

Larry Legend.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Bird is my favorite player of all time, but as much as I hate to say it I will have to side with LeBron, but it's not ridiculous to go with Bird.

LeBron's ability to play PG & defend does it for me, but I do believe Bird had better court vision & was a better rebounder than LeBron.

I remember this one game when Larry hit a game winning 3 pointer... only it turns out that his coach had called a timeout and the players just didn't hear it because it was too loud in the building. While walking back to the bench, Larry pointed to a spot on the floor as if to say something liek "I'm gonna shoot right here." Then timeout ends, play resumes, and guess what? Larry hit yet *another* game winning 3 pointer... from the spot he pointed at. Basically back-to-back "game-winning" 3 pointers!

Someone needs to find the YouTube of this!!! I've seen it on YT before but didn't bookmark it...

Banned

You take the mentally tougher, and overall tougher player 9/10 times, skills being equal. Lebron would curl up in a ball if he was about to get into a fight Dr. J.

He'd never be the leader he is now, back in the old school days.

NBA rookie of the year Kingwillball's Avatar

Yeah I watched Bird and Bird himself would tell u Lebron is better. Lebron will finish his career in tbe top 5 all time probably right behind MJ but some will argue Lebron as the goat.. Championships will be deciding factor.

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

larry bird cuz he has a unstoppable jumper making him harder to contain

Then there is the other half of the floor....... where you play defense....

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    you make it sound like Bird was a terrible defender or something. Lebron's defense is better, but not that much, at least for me, to take him over Bird's overall game.

Close but it's Larry Bird

better shooter from pretty much everywhere
    better postgame
    better rebounder
    even better passer
    better off-ball offensive game
    better post and help D
    better leader
    tougher mentality
    definitely more clutch
    higher basketball iq

At his best, 3x MVP, 2x FMVP, 27/10/7/2/1 on 51/40/90 stats, in a more competitive era, as far as teams, stars and Sf's, with much less usage.
    And if he wasn't injured in the 85 playoffs he would've probably take another ring and FMVP.

I know that his D is gonna get underrated here also. Let me just say that when he arrived the Celtics became one of the best defensive teams in the league while the previous year they were one of the worst, basically same roster.
    In his 1st year led the league in DWS and 6th in DRtg, no Parish or McHale yet, no big-man blocking more than 1 shot per game.
    Went on to lead the league in DWS for 3 more times, top5 6 times. 2nd in DRtg in 1984, top10 6 times during his career.
    McHale never was top10 in either, by 84 Parish was blocking less than 1.5 shots per game.
    So please don't underrated his D.

Oh and if y'all wanna mention pace, be smarter than that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po1M--HaINA

Fact that Bird could flat otu dominate in a lot of ways, ball dominant, off-ball, inside, outside and so on... gives the man a huge edge.
    Could hurt in more ways.

Quote Originally Posted by dh144498
    we're talking about a similar height players but one weighs almost 50 pounds over the other.
    Bird a bit more than 1 inch taller and by like his 5th season Larry was pushing over 230 lbs.... do ya really think Lebron's 280 lbs??? Or even 270...

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Look at this ignorant dude, please read what I said about his D above and explain that... If it was Lebron doing that right now people like you would be going crazy
    Last edited by SHAQisGOAT; 05-23-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Bird is my favorite player of all time, but as much as I hate to say it I will have to side with LeBron, but it's not ridiculous to go with Bird.

LeBron's ability to play PG & defend does it for me, but I do believe Bird had better court vision & was a better rebounder than LeBron.
    How can he be your favorite player and youve never seen him play on a consistent basis. Meaning im sure youve seen highlights or some of his greatest games etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT

better postgame
    better rebounder
    even better passer
    better post and help D
    better leader
    tougher mentality
    definitely more clutch
    higher basketball iq

At his best, 3x MVP, 2x FMVP, 27/10/7/2/1 on 51/40/90 stats, in a more competitive era, as far as teams, stars and Sf's, with much less usage.
    And if he wasn't injured in the 85 playoffs he would've probably take another ring and FMVP.

I know that his D is gonna get underrated here also. Let me just say that when he arrived the Celtics became one of the best defensive teams in the league while the previous year they were one of the worst, basically same roster.
    In his 1st year led the league in DWS and 6th in DRtg, no Parish or McHale yet, no big-man blocking more than 1 shot per game.
    Went on to lead the league in DWS for 3 more times, top5 6 times. 2nd in DRtg in 1984, top10 6 times during his career.
    McHale never was top10 in either, by 84 Parish was blocking less than 1.5 shots per game.

Oh and if y'all wanna mention pace, be smarter than that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po1M--HaINA

Fact that Bird could flat otu dominate in a lot of ways, ball dominant, off-ball, inside, outside and so on... gives the man a huge edge.
    Could hurt in more ways.

Bird a bit more than 1 inch taller and by like his 5th season Larry was pushing over 230 lbs.... do ya really think Lebron's 280 lbs??? Or even 270...

Look at this ignorant dude, please read what I said about his D above and explain that... If it was Lebron doing that right now people like you would be going crazy

great post. Why did you suddenly bold everything.

NBA rookie of the year Kingwillball's Avatar

Bottom line one on one Lebron would blow by Bird to the basket for layups and dunks while bird would shoot contested fadeaways.. Sorry Bird fans hang on to your argument now as a few years from now Lebron will easily pass him at this pace.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT

better postgame
    better rebounder
    even better passer
    better post and help D
    better leader
    tougher mentality
    definitely more clutch
    higher basketball iq

Could hurt in more ways.

Your ETHER skills are amazing.