Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Local High School Star Nero Tulip's Avatar

Default Re: Phil: """We get behind early in the 3rd quarter, and then Kobe has to go and screw up

I don't understand Jackson sometimes. He's let Kobe do this pretty much his whole career. I'm sure he told him this many times before but as far as I know it's the first time he does this with the media. Why do this now? What's different?

Local High School Star

Default Re: Phil: """We get behind early in the 3rd quarter, and then Kobe has to go and screw up

people who didn't watch the game shouldn't have an opinion on what phil said.

Lakers were not giving the effort early in the game and they got behind. Kobe took it upon himself to reenergise the team by scoring himself. He got the game close again in that 3rd quarter BUT after that the Lakers were out of their flow and still would not step up and they lost it.

Saw a basketball once

Just watched Phil talking about Kobe about him screwing it up and how he has to energize the team by going 1 on 1.

As I said in the other topic. That ball needs to go to Gasol in the post and everyone needs to work off of him. Same with Bynum.

The rest of his team aren't doing anything when Kobe just wants to do stupid shit and they probably think, "Go ahead, do you what you want, I'll just do nothing."

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe 8 B
    Just watched Phil talking about Kobe about him screwing it up and how he has to energize the team by going 1 on 1.

As I said in the other topic. That ball needs to go to Gasol in the post and everyone needs to work off of him. Same with Bynum.

The rest of his team aren't doing anything when Kobe just wants to do stupid shit and they probably think, "Go ahead, do you what you want, I'll just do nothing."
    Yes but that is what happened. After Kobe had his 1on1 stint in the 3rd. They tried to feed it to Gasol but nothing was coming out of it since he was out of it.

NBA rookie of the year ashbelly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crosso√er
    Lakers play defense only when the entire team is assertive and shares the ball. Kobe can't do it on his own, especially at his age, so Phil is completely right. But it's not just Kobe, I haven't seen much passion from Pau at all. It is just as much his responsibility to gear up this team on both ends of the floor, and he hasn't done so on a consistent basis as of late.

For us to have any shot at winning another championship; both of these guys must be on the same page and all the other players will feed off their energy. This has nhttp://insidehoops.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=5287624ot happened as of late; the NOH game showed glimpses of them sharing the ball and playing enthusiastic basketball, and then we have this game tonight. Even against Philadelphia they sucked, but luckily closed out with a win.

it's guys like you who don't understand the game that make it hard for others to do..
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Reporter[/COLOR]: How do you turn this around ?
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]YOU[/COLOR]:: Kobe has scored 81 points before, let him do his thing
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Phil jackson[/COLOR]:: we have to focus, we didn't use our strength's which is our inside players, Pau gets 9 shots throughout the entire game, we didn't use that focus that we had to begin the game, pau got what? 6 out of our 8 points to begin the game, he didnt score again in the half, 1st half. ended up the game with 10, he had 4 more points in the 2nd half, he's too good of a player for a game like that,as a result we get behind on game like that on some stupid plays,poor passing,poor transition defense,and kobe has to score up the game and start energizing the team by going 1 on 1 and that takes everybody out of the game as a result that didnt bring us back in , it was a little run but it did bring us back in the game but we couldn't sustain it..

It's obvious phil knows that Gasol and Bynum(gasol especially) has to get more touches than what he's getting at the moment, and his plays are more important than what everybody else brings to the team. . It's so easy to beat the lakers, limit gasol touches and you have them in the ropes, unless old man kobe is on for the night, but if you have a good defense to stop/slow him down, it's over for the lakers.
    Last edited by ashbelly; 01-03-2011 at 05:25 AM.

NBA rookie of the year ginobli2311's Avatar

nobody is saying kobe isn't an amazing player. he is. nobody is saying kobe isn't one of the best ever. he clearly is.

but the complete abandonment of team offense and play is what prevents him from being in the truly elite class for me. i don't think this game is necessarily a great example, but the phil comments have probably been building for a while now and i totally agree with them.

kobe' stans always point to rings when stuff like this comes out. what about the rings? this isn't about rings. kobe's teams have been so damn good that he's had the luxury to play the wrong way and derail his team....yet still win titles. its about playing the right way and his impact on the game. too often kobe's ego and 1 on 5 mentality have come through and ****ed up chances for titles. we have gotten weird kobe way too often. he often does the exact opposite of what he should. often times to prove a point...often times because his ego wont' let him back down from any challenge no matter how tough it is.

but here is the thing that stans don't want to hear:

kobe isn't good enough to carry a team to a title playing the way jordan did. or the way duncan did. or hakeem did. he can't do it. he's not efficient enough. he's not dominant enough. kobe needs his teammates to perform at higher levels than those guys. and there is really no shame in that. it doesn't even really mean those guys are better. what makes them better is that kobe has still never figured it out. 15 years in and he hasn't found that optimal middle ground. no doubt he's improved, but a big part of him still wants that glory. no doubt he wants the win, but kobe wants it his way...and often times "his way" doesn't lead to winning.

i don't know why kobe has to go into "kobe mode" at the first sign of trouble. why? his teammates have proven themselves over and over again the last 4 years. kobe quickly turns on them in games. but i never see fisher or gasol or odom freeze kobe out of the offense for stretches. why? because they know they won't win that way. throughout kobe's entire career you've heard teammates make comments about "not playing team ball"....sometimes very openly solely about kobe.

so as a basketball fan its just annoying. its annoying because my team and favorite player has never had this help. we've never had the greatest coach ever and an uber stacked team like kobe has had in all but 3 of his years in the league.

throughout the game all stans were saying "god....kobe is the only one that played well tonight"....which is partially true, but then you look up and notice kobe went iso like 5 times in a row and look up and see him taking 7 threes and only making one. making 10 of 22 shots (a worse percentage than the rest of his team combined)

if kobe is really all about winning. why does play outside the offense so often when history shows that his teams have a horrid winning percentage when he goes into kobe mode.

i just don't get it.

[COLOR=Teal]I agree. I didn't like Kobe taking 22 shots, but that's more of an effect than a cause. The Lakers real problem is they're dysfunctional defensively. That has to be addressed more than any tendencies Kobe has to go 1-on-5 when his team is struggling.
    [/COLOR]

At least Kobe showed up in the 3rd quarter so the other guys had to focus on defense, because they were doing nothing on Offense. They can't just say yeah i'm doing nothing now because Kobe doesn't give me the ball. Kobe has the talent to go 1 on 5 on Offense but he needs his teammates. So when he is hot give him the ball, if Pau is hot they should give it to him....

ISH' Muslim Community LEFT4DEAD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jabbar
    Dont worry, things get calmed and settled in June, it has always been that way
    I wouldn't be so sure, and you shouldn't be to. You will be more dissapointed. 2nd round, book it.
    And that was a damn good post ginobili!
    Last edited by LEFT4DEAD; 01-03-2011 at 06:32 AM.

Local High School Star KelticForce1349's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Svendiggity
    It's kind of funny that we are on a basketball forum, and the most hated player on these boards is someone who's entire life is basketball. Kobe loves basketball too much to continue to not involve his teammates. He will take it to heart and correct it, and prove you haters wrong, just like he always does.

Wow. You are delusional. Sad times...

Quote Originally Posted by Svendiggity
    It's kind of funny that we are on a basketball forum, and the most hated player on these boards is someone who's entire life is basketball. Kobe loves basketball too much to continue to not involve his teammates. He will take it to heart and correct it, and prove you haters wrong, just like he always does.
    You should follow your own advice.

Kobe always tries to go too much 1 on 5.
    But let's face it.
    Lakers would still lost it.
    Kobe didn't do anything in the first half,they were losing.

Kobe at least tried to change things because he wants to win,maybe he did try too much but you can't blame Kobe for that loss.

Lakers are playing bad collectively.

Local High School Star

some of you need to listen to PJ's interview and not just this quote out of context.

He clearly says this bad performance first came from Pau not taking enough shots and thats part of his responsibility. He then follows by saying that the Lakers started too many turnovers, gave up too many transition points, not playing defense and consequently that led to being behind in the 3rd quarter and then Kobe screws it up even further by panicking.

Phil never meant to say they lost because of Kobe which is what everyone is saying. Phil meant that Kobe made is worst after the Lakers were playing poorly for 3 quarters of the game.

If Phil didn't want Kobe doing what he was doing in the 4th, he would of stopped him. But at that point, you had to go all in since they were getting blowned out and Kobe screwed it.

The front court wasn't effective tonight. When you have Odom and Gasol it was working offensively but defensively just weren't making stops. But bynum, does a good job defensively but Gasol just isn't being active enough offensively by himself. Alot of the front court issues come from the Perimeter play which has been awful. Artest and Fisher are not getting it done on both ends.
    Last edited by knightfall88; 01-03-2011 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ginobli2311

i just don't get it.
    haha WOW!

It would be one thing if you stayed consistent in your criticisms, but IIRC, you were giving Kobe *hit for not going "Kobe Mode" against the Suns in 2006. Which is it you want him to do? Defer or take over? Or is it whenever the Lakers lose, Kobe should have done the opposite of what he did?

I just don't get it.

Not airballing my layups anymore Snicklefritz's Avatar

After the Heat entered panic mode they came out winning what, 19 out of 20? As a Heat fan, I hope the Laker's don't recoup in the same manner we did