Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: The Gasols head to head. A few questions inside.

1) Who would win one on one?

Pau. His versatility (wider range, better dribble, etc) would give him the edge I think.

2) Who has more potential?

Marc, but mainly because Pau's potential has been almost reached, while Marc still has a lot of room to develop.

3) Who would you want on the current team you root for?

(Sixers) Probably Pau. Again, his versatility (passing mainly) would make things easier for Brand IMO, while there's a potential logjam downlow with Marc.

4) Who would you start a franchise with?

Marc. If I'm starting a franchise I have time to develop a player. And a C is more of a rarity than a PF, so it would be nice to have that position covered.

5) Who is the better basketball player?

Pau, and by much. That is not an insult to Marc btw.

Decent college freshman BFRESH44's Avatar

Pau is better in every facet of the game.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    My answers:

4) Who would you start a franchise with? Marc, at this point. Younger and plays C a rare position. I can find good enough PFs.
    Pau plays the center better Marc ever will. What is the big difference between having a Pf or a C next to your name. Pau played center in the NBA finals and busted Dwight Howards ass. That the center I would want to start a franchise with. Give me 5 good years of Pau over 10 of borderline all star Marc. Pau is arguably the best big man in the game. He is better than KG, current TD and only arguably Howard. TD and KG have stepped back while Gasol has only gotten better

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Pau plays the center better Marc ever will.

I'm not sure but I'm pretty high on Marc, I'll admit that. Pau ON THE LAKERS can play the C better at the moment than Marc could ON THE LAKERS. But starting a franchise with both and having them play the C with the same (pretty much random) teammates&system and I think Marc has a chance of being a better C.

Better player as well? No, I wouldn't go that far.

Bump

7-time NBA All-Star OneMoreSucka's Avatar

Marc 30/20/5

Book it.

Pau

Are you guys sure you read the questions?

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by BFRESH44
    Pau is better in every facet of the game.
    I agree but if anything, at least the trade doesn't seem as lopsided now as it seemed to be when it happened. Marc Gasol is a really good player.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Laker Logic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    Marc or Pau?

1) Who would win one on one?
    2) Who has more potential?
    3) Who would you want on the current team you root for?
    4) Who would you start a franchise with?
    5) Who is the better basketball player?

Marc or Pau?

EDIT: Stating your team along with answering question#3 would be nice, thx.
    Team: Lakers

One on one - Pau. He's the older brother, he's got more post game and range. Marc could theoretically win a physical battle on the block but Pau would have no trouble extending the court and forcing the heavier/slower Marc out to defend him. Marc would tire before Pau. And again, Pau's the older brother, has to give him a psychological edge.

More potential - Eh...loaded question given that Marc's younger so a purely logical answer almost forces the nod to Marc, because Pau's "potential" is pretty close to realized, he is what he is, which is extremely good, while Marc still has a lot of room to grow, or unrealized potential. But Pau's a better player now than I think Marc will ever be, if that helps. And it's not a knock on Marc.

Who I'd prefer on Lakers: Obvious. Pau's a known quantity and a perfect fit. No way Marc brings more, present day or future, to the Lakers than Pau does now IMO.

Who I'd start a franchise with...today, Pau. Tomorrow, Pau. Next week/year, the same. For the record, I don't consider Pau a franchise player, but he's a more versatile player to build around, all things considered, the only edge Marc has is youth, and if I'm building a franchise, I'd rather have the tested-but-still-young vet than the promising-but-green kid as the anchor.

Who's the better player? Pau. No contest.

Are my answers surprising? Probably not. Are they the right answers? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Logic
    Are my answers surprising? Probably not. Are they the right answers? Yes.
    I'm not sure Pau would win 1 on 1 and I'm not sure you would be better off starting a franchise with Pau tomorrow. I wouldn't bet my life on the opposite either, I just don't think it is as clear cut as it is presented.

Technically speaking we will not know whether your answers are the 'right ones', but we already do know the majority is on your side at the moment. But sides change fast. Two years ago it was not even a contest. Two years from now... who knows? I don't.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreSucka
    Marc 30/20/5

Book it.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Laker Logic's Avatar

I'm not sure Pau would win 1 on 1 and I'm not sure you would be better off starting a franchise with Pau tomorrow. I wouldn't bet my life on the opposite either, I just don't think it is as clear cut as it is presented.
    The one-on-one question is closer, I'd grant - two Cs that are brothers and probably not *worlds* apart talent-wise is closer to a coin flip than a sure thing. But I find it hard to imagine Marc winning a best-of contest of any significant number of games. Again, Pau's superior range and larger array of post moves makes him harder to defend. If Marc were more of a power player, maybe he'd get the nod, but from what I've seen he plays like a heavier version of Pau, with fewer moves and not-as-consistent range. Banging in the post takes a lot of energy - if he tried to beat Pau that way I don't see how he could defend away from the basket consistently. If he plays a more Pau-like post+midrange game, I think Pau's superior skill gives him the edge. Would be interested to hear the case that Marc has the edge...Pau's got a pretty good defensive reputation against bigger Cs - he's no stopper, but is fundamentally sound, contests easy shots etc.

The who-to-start-a-franchise-with argument is not as close I don't think. Again, if you're going to START a franchise with a player, what does Marc bring that Pau doesn't? Youth, yes, but the cornerstone of a franchise should ideally have some of everything you need, including skill AND experience - think team captain or playoff rock for a team to cohere around. I don't care what you think of Marc's potential...would you really be comfortable putting a new team on his back if, let's say, they overacheived and got to the playoffs? Pau's carried a perennial playoff team, he's now part of a balanced championship one. Hard to see how whatever Marc brings to the table trumps that as the core piece of a team from scratch...he's not THAT promising.

7-time NBA All-Star OneMoreSucka's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZeN
    You're right.

Marc 35/22/6

Book it.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreSucka
    You're right.

Marc 35/22/6

Book it.
    In 60% shooting dude!

Book it!