Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    I rule the local playground

Default Re: BREAKING: Dirk restructures contract again. Taking only 3 years/25 million

Quote Originally Posted by kenny817
    Hilarious considering Kobe won't sniff the playoffs ever again
    Why is it hilarious? What does the Laker's playoff chances have to do with Dirk's salary value and whether it was a good deal or not?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: BREAKING: Dirk restructures contract again. Taking only 3 years/25 million

Quote Originally Posted by choppermagic
    Why is it hilarious? What does the Laker's playoff chances have to do with Dirk's salary value and whether it was a good deal or not?
    Why would fans of a team ever want to be worse?

If Dirk is willing to sacrifice this much for my favorite team...all it does is make me like him even more regardless of the outcome.

As a fan...there is honestly no other player outside of like Magic, Bird, Michael, and Duncan that I'd rather have as my franchise player.

The problem with people who are all about rational self-interest is that they don't get that not everyone wants the same things.

Maybe Dirk simply doesn't care that much about the money... So he's not "losing" anything from taking a paycut. He's doing exactly what he wants. You're never a "sucker" for getting exactly what you want. No one should define for Dirk, or LeBron, or anyone else, what they ought to want.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    The problem with people who are all about rational self-interest is that they don't get that not everyone wants the same things.

Maybe Dirk simply doesn't care that much about the money... So he's not "losing" anything from taking a paycut. He's doing exactly what he wants. You're never a "sucker" for getting exactly what you want. No one should define for Dirk, or LeBron, or anyone else, what they ought to want.
    I know this is the case because Dirk has routinely talked about not needing so much.

He turns down offers all the time from international companies to be promote their products. He could easily have a Rolex commercial if he wanted it...stuff like that. He's an international name that could for sure make up a lot of this money if he wanted it.

All about priorities. Dirk would rather have a chance to win over more money right now. Side note, can we please all acknowledge that Cuban will make this up to Dirk in the long run? Dirk going to take some job on the Mavs that pays him 5 million a year or something if he wants. Dirk is in a rare situation that he knows he'll be taken care of...like Wade in Miami. Not all players are in situations like that. This is one thing about being loyal that it earns you this ability...Dirk, Duncan, Wade, Kobe...etc. They know they'll be taken care of if it comes to that ever. Well, not sure about Kobe now that Dr. Buss died...maybe that is why he took that contract.

Anyway, the point is that some people don't value money as much as others. Clearly Dirk is one of those guys. He could have made another 100 million over his career doing commercials internationally if he really wanted to.