Local High School Star barkleynash's Avatar

Default Re: McDermott

This bulls team is very good.
    rose, heinrich
    butler, Dunleavy
    Mcdermitt, Mirotic
    pau, taj, mirotic
    noah, pau

Great 9 man rotation. Could be the team to beat in the east. If rose is healthy.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by hawksdogsbraves
    He was a great college player for sure, but nba level length and athleticism WAS what people said gave him trouble. That's kind of an obvious point though.

I remember against Baylor when they lost in the tournament in particular he was bothered by some real athletic defenders.

That being said though I think he'll fill his role well. The Bulls desperately needed shooters.

Also Wally Szerbiack is who he always compares himself to and I think it's good comp. Remember Wally had some 19ppg seasons and even made an All-Star game. 19/4/4 on good percentages seems like a pretty good ceiling for Dougie McBuckets.
    Baylor gave a lot of teams trouble

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by barkleynash
    This bulls team is very good.
    rose, heinrich
    butler, Dunleavy
    Mcdermitt, Mirotic
    pau, taj, mirotic
    noah, pau

Great 9 man rotation. Could be the team to beat in the east. If rose is healthy.
    that's a big if.

Quote Originally Posted by NugzFan
    Just checked the box.

27 min: 3 rebounds, assists, steals and blocks

Combined

Are players supposed to show defense in summer League?

Comon man, stop pretending like you know all about Doug mcdermott

NBA sixth man of the year NugzFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by poido123
    Are players supposed to show defense in summer League?

Comon man, stop pretending like you know all about Doug mcdermott
    Defense in summer league? Uh yeah. They should be trying. I would be pissed if my guys weren't working hard on defense.

He looked a lot like Korver today. And that's not an insult.

Quote Originally Posted by Warners0
    Baylor gave a lot of teams trouble
    I know, that's my point. They had some long, athletic perimeter guys and that's what you're going to see night in and night out in the league.

Local High School Star CHi1PriDe's Avatar

http://youtu.be/WL1mszkoHfs

If he doesn't win SL MVP than i dont know who would

micky D's will prove he should have been a top 5 prospect.

7/11/14 We Witness NattyPButter's Avatar

see something wrong with that Bulls team. Only Rose can create his own shot.

Local High School Star CHi1PriDe's Avatar

Can't even imagine the UC chanting "Dougie" if thibs don't play him. He needs to start, Rose will love playing with him

NBA lottery pick

yes ! Basketball needs an American white boy star hooper

Quote Originally Posted by TiagoSimoes
    great game, 31 pts 7-12 5-9 from 3pt.

seems a bit 1-dimensional, but boy can he score
    That's why I said he should have been a top 8 pick, especially for those teams who don't have any scoring.

surprised he fell as far as he did, but he's white, and Adam Morrison messed up everything forevermore.

Quote Originally Posted by NugzFan
    Just checked the box.

27 min: 3 rebounds, assists, steals and blocks

Combined
    First I'll say, it's just summer league.

Game 1: 2/8, 2/5 from 3, 3/4 FT. 10 pts, 5 reb, 4 ast, 4 to, 1 foul
    Game 2: 7/12, 5/9 from 3, 12/12 FT. 31 pts, 1 reb, 1 ast, 2 to, 1 blk, 1 foul
    Game 3: 7/13, 4/7 from 3, 2/2 FT. 20 pts, 5 reb, 6 ast, 2 to, 0 fouls

His first game he looked a little off - game seemed a little fast to him as he made a few mistakes. He even mentioned being a little nervous as it was his first pro experience. Still shot the 3 ball well and was able to do some other things well - moved ball to set teammates up and helped on the boards.

Game 2 he blew up obviously. Got to the free throw line a bunch, some were from being fouled on a 3, but getting 18 free throws in 3 games shows he can get to the line. He did it all the time in college too.

Game 3 was his most complete game. Displayed some great passing ability, showed off his shot and helped on the glass.

One thing he hasn't done is fouled. A lot of times in summer league you see players getting a ton of fouls because the game is too fast for them - or they just can't stop people from getting by them. Hasn't been the case for McDermott. For someone that supposedly had a bunch of people questioning his ability to defend, he's looked solid on that end of the floor.

He's giving up some open looks due to not rotating quickly enough which would be his main knock defensively, but I still remember him locking Gary Harris down a few times. One sticks out, solid close out and contest on a Harris jumper, ends up beating him down the floor for a dunk on the other end.

The 3 ball is clearly his bread and butter, but he's more versatile scorer than he's getting credit for. Has great off ball movement, has shown a solid ability to pass the ball. He was even drawing double teams in the Twolves game - did a great job of finding the open man quickly. Runs the floor really well, finds his spots. Very high IQ player. Seems to have great energy on the court - you can tell this isn't "work" for him.

The Wally comparison is fair IMO. I've seen him say he's taken things from Dirk and Paul Pierce as well. If you watch any of his Creighton games/highlights, you'll see the Dirk fade quite a bit from the post. McBuckets is going to surprise some people - great addition for the Bulls.
    Last edited by (e); 07-16-2014 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by (e)
    First I'll say, it's just summer league.

Game 1: 2/8, 2/5 from 3, 3/4 FT. 10 pts, 5 reb, 4 ast, 4 to, 1 foul
    Game 2: 7/12, 5/9 from 3, 12/12 FT. 31 pts, 1 reb, 1 ast, 2 to, 1 blk, 1 foul
    Game 3: 7/13, 4/7 from 3, 2/2 FT. 20 pts, 5 reb, 6 ast, 2 to, 0 fouls

His first game he looked a little off - game seemed a little fast to him as he made a few mistakes. He even mentioned being a little nervous as it was his first pro experience. Still shot the 3 ball well and was able to do some other things well - moved ball to set teammates up and helped on the boards.

Game 2 he blew up obviously. Got to the free throw line a bunch, some were from being fouled on a 3, but getting 18 free throws in 3 games shows he can get to the line. He did it all the time in college too.

Game 3 was his most complete game. Displayed some great passing ability, showed off his shot and helped on the glass.

One thing he hasn't done is fouled. A lot of times in summer league you see players getting a ton of fouls because the game is too fast for them - or they just can't stop people from getting by them. Hasn't been the case for McDermott. For someone that supposedly had a bunch of people questioning his ability to defend, he's looked solid on that end of the floor.

He's giving up some open looks due to not rotating quickly enough which would be his main knock defensively, but I still remember him locking Gary Harris down a few times. One sticks out, solid close out and contest on a Harris jumper, ends up beating him down the floor for a dunk on the other end.

The 3 ball is clearly his bread and butter, but he's more versatile scorer than he's getting credit for. Has great off ball movement, has shown a solid ability to pass the ball. He was even drawing double teams in the Twolves game - did a great job of finding the open man quickly. Runs the floor really well, finds his spots. Very high IQ player. Seems to have great energy on the court - you can tell this isn't "work" for him.

The Wally comparison is fair IMO. I've seen him say he's taken things from Dirk and Paul Pierce as well. If you watch any of his Creighton games/highlights, you'll see the Dirk fade quite a bit from the post. McBuckets is going to surprise some people - great addition for the Bulls.
    If you watched his college game, he came back for his senior year to work with his dad (who was his coach) to improve his defense, and he did. Dude got the fundamentals down, and with a little S&C he will be solid on defense. He can score in a variety of ways and his size and deep, deep, deep range will make him a nightmare to cover.

I watch far more college than NBA, and the dude tore it up all season, and the season before that, but the improvements in his game from his junior to senior year was obvious.

Bulls got a steal with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    If you watched his college game, he came back for his senior year to work with his dad (who was his coach) to improve his defense, and he did. Dude got the fundamentals down, and with a little S&C he will be solid on defense. He can score in a variety of ways and his size and deep, deep, deep range will make him a nightmare to cover.

I watch far more college than NBA, and the dude tore it up all season, and the season before that, but the improvements in his game from his junior to senior year was obvious.

Bulls got a steal with this one.
    Watched him quite a bit his senior season, but not a whole lot prior - so I wouldn't of noticed the things he really improved on.

I've been surprised with his defense though (at least compared to what everyone was knocking him for). His positioning has been pretty good. The only thing knock is he's been late on some rotations giving up open 3 pointers, but he isn't really getting killed off the bounce.

He also played against bigs in college correct? Wasn't really playing against wing guys on the perimeter - so there has to be some adjustment there.

I know it's kind of a cop out since he's also a Bull - but nobody really praises Mike Dunleavy for being a good defender, but he's a great team defender. Usually in the right positions and always at least making guys shoot over the top of him - seems like McDermott should be similar in that aspect.