Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: The 'Delay of Game' rule needs to be looked at

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    I've watched maybe 90+ games this season (2 games or more a day usually). I gotta say...they have been SUPER consistent with it. They never let a player get away with it. In all the games I've watched I've seen them mess up, or ignore it, 3 times. And that was usually because something else occurred.

For all those people saying it has happened hella times, I'd challenge anyone to find 10+ instances of it happening league wide over the course of this entire season.

I think people are just hopping on what JVG said about it being called inconsistently. It's not. It's being called hella consistently.
    This.

People are acting like refs are just picking and choosing when they want to call this. I seriously don't think I've seen it go uncalled a single time this season. Oden gets hit with it pretty much everytime he gets a dunk.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

They need to look at officiating as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFreeman
    They need to look at officiating as a whole.
    I was expecting some white text about how they officiate Durant and Harden. [COLOR="White"]Fcuk those guys.[/COLOR]

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    I was expecting some white text about how they officiate Durant and Harden. [COLOR="White"]Fcuk those guys.[/COLOR]
    Well, those two can certainly be used as evidence.

Dat white text haha

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    This.

People are acting like refs are just picking and choosing when they want to call this. I seriously don't think I've seen it go uncalled a single time this season. Oden gets hit with it pretty much everytime he gets a dunk.
    I do understand the delay of game call, but when it gets to the point that it potentially impacts the win-loss of a game? That's when the impact of this rule goes too far. When technical foul and 2 delay of game calls are equal in terms of impact on points, then it's kind of absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubs510
    well yeah. the new rule states if they pass the ref the ball its delay of game, then they call a warning and then a T and it ruins the game.
    Just don't grab the ball and pass it to the ref? The offensive play is over after a score, a player now on defense has no business taking the ball and giving it to the ref. The only reason they want to is to prevent a quick outlet and break.

Here you'll see a team working on their break right after the other teams fast break, if refs let players grab the ball after a score this whole concept and time spent on it is ruined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=D7VQwIE-EwQ

I do understand the delay of game call, but when it gets to the point that it potentially impacts the win-loss of a game? That's when the impact of this rule goes too far. When technical foul and 2 delay of game calls are equal in terms of impact on points, then it's kind of absurd.
    If a player does it in the first quarter taking away a possible score, it has already impacted the win-loss outcome of the game.
    Last edited by ZenMaster; 03-17-2014 at 10:30 AM.

shhhhhhh

Just don't touch the ball... At the rate they were calling it early in the season to drive the point across if you're still doing it at this time of the year you're an idiot

Dunking on everybody in the park KrizMiz's Avatar

if he would have thrown the ball to the inbound player the ref wouzldnt call it, but he threw it to the ref, what is a delay of game!

right call, right decision!

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

maybe im not watching enough game, but ive only seen maybe 2 or 3 instances where it wasnt called. but those times in question, i wasnt even sure if the player touched the ball or not.

i understand the frustration with the calls, but as long as the refs are calling it consistently (which i believe they are doing) then there are no warrants for complaints.

It's a stupidy rule but by now players should know better and don't touch the freaking ball.

Referee in yesterday's game was a mess, a Heat biased mess.

Very good NBA starter

I'm fine with the rule if it's applied correctly (ie. a player kicks the ball toward the sideline or something blatant). But it shouldn't be called if a player tosses the ball directly to the ref standing next to the player on the baseline (like it was called against Dwight yesterday). That's not cool. And it happens all the time, it's common

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    I'm fine with the rule if it's applied correctly (ie. a player kicks the ball toward the sideline or something blatant). But it shouldn't be called if a player tosses the ball directly to the ref standing next to the player on the baseline (like it was called against Dwight yesterday). That's not cool. And it happens all the time, it's common
    Why is it OK for a player to deliberately delay the game by passing the ball to the ref after a score?

It used to happen all the time, like every time the last few years. But that doesn't mean it isn't a stupid dynamic to let a defensive player pass the ball to the ref to begin with.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

It only needs to be called consistently. You can't get rid of it, because players will abuse it. Modifications are fine if they make sense, but either way, it needs to be a consistent call.

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    But it shouldn't be called if a player tosses the ball directly to the ref standing next to the player on the baseline (like it was called against Dwight yesterday). That's not cool. And it happens all the time, it's common
    The whole point of the rule is so players dont do that. There is no instance that the opposing team needs to touch the ball after a made shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    It only needs to be called consistently. You can't get rid of it, because players will abuse it. Modifications are fine if they make sense, but either way, it needs to be a consistent call.
    It is consistent.