Default Final's Series: 37.7ppg,14.2rpg,6.0apg,3.0spg,2.2bpg

Was this the best performance in any Final's Series in ABA/NBA history? All of this against the Denver Nuggets in 1976, and Bobby Jones, the best defensive forward in either league at the time.

The excerpts below from "20 Second Timeout" by David Friedman:

Game to Remember: Game Six, 1976 ABA Finals

What a treat it is to watch "Game to Remember: Game Six, 1976 ABA Finals"! NBA TV broadcast this program last night, with Julius Erving and Brian Taylor sharing their recollections of the last ABA game, a 112-106 championship-clinching victory by their New York Nets over the powerful Denver Nuggets. Erving won the regular season and Finals MVPs in 1976 as he led the Nets to their second title in his three years with the franchise, while Taylor made the All-Star team and led the league in three point field goal percentage; he is the only player to lead the ABA and the NBA in three point field goal percentage in a season. Denver, coached by Larry Brown and led by Hall of Famers David Thompson and Dan Issel, went 60-24 in 1975-76; their team was so good that the ABA All-Star Game that year consisted of the Nuggets versus All-Stars from all of the other teams in the league--and the Nuggets defeated an All-Star Team featuring two of the NBA's 50 Greatest Players (Erving and George Gervin) plus Artis Gilmore, Maurice Lucas and James "Captain Late" Silas!

Kevin Loughery, the Nets' Coach at that time, recently said of Erving's play in the ABA, "He had more talent at that stage--we asked him to do everything. I really believe--and I've told this to Doc--that the NBA never saw the real Dr. J. I really believe that. In the ABA he did things that were incredible. We asked him to do everything. We won the (1976) championship playing against Denver when they had Bobby Jones, an All-League defensive player. He had the best playoff series in a championship series that I've ever seen one individual have." Erving's numbers certainly support Loughery's contention, as the Doctor led both teams in scoring (37.7 ppg), rebounding (14.2 rpg), assists (6.0 apg), steals (3.0 spg) and blocked shots (2.2 bpg) in the 1976 ABA Finals. Pat Putnam wrote a great Sports Illustrated story about the first four games of the series, when Erving rang up 158 points, 51 rebounds, 22 assists, eight steals and seven blocked shots.

Game six was actually an understated performance by Erving in that series: he "only" had 31 points--tying his series low--but his floor game was staggering: 19 rebounds, five assists, five steals, four blocked shots. It is very interesting to watch the closing moments of that game; on each New York half court set possession, Erving received the ball above the top of the key and operated in a 1-4 set, much like Kobe Bryant or LeBron James do today. Erving attacked the basket, accepted the double team and kicked the ball to open teammates who either made shots or drew fouls against defenders who were closing out on them; in part because of the defensive attention that Erving drew, muscular shooting guard "Super" John Williamson scored 16 fourth quarter points. This is a 32 year old highlight but Erving's play has a decidedly modern look to it.

It is so tiresome nowadays to hear people talking about being the man or whose team it is. Everyone on the Nets knew that Erving was "the man" but Erving was also smart enough and unselfish enough to understand that when he was double-teamed someone else was open. This all goes back to something else that Loughery said about Erving: "That man was the best. He was the easiest superstar you could possibly coach." Nets President Rod Thorn, who was then Loughery's assistant coach, expressed similar sentiments when I spoke with him: "He was the best teammate of all the players I

Default Re: Final's Series: 37.7ppg,14.2rpg,6.0apg,3.0spg,2.2bpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.J4ever
    Was this the best performance in any Final's Series in ABA/NBA history? All of this against the Denver Nuggets in 1976, and Bobby Jones, the best defensive forward in either league at the time.

The excerpts below from "20 Second Timeout" by David Friedman:

Game to Remember: Game Six, 1976 ABA Finals

What a treat it is to watch "Game to Remember: Game Six, 1976 ABA Finals"! NBA TV broadcast this program last night, with Julius Erving and Brian Taylor sharing their recollections of the last ABA game, a 112-106 championship-clinching victory by their New York Nets over the powerful Denver Nuggets. Erving won the regular season and Finals MVPs in 1976 as he led the Nets to their second title in his three years with the franchise, while Taylor made the All-Star team and led the league in three point field goal percentage; he is the only player to lead the ABA and the NBA in three point field goal percentage in a season. Denver, coached by Larry Brown and led by Hall of Famers David Thompson and Dan Issel, went 60-24 in 1975-76; their team was so good that the ABA All-Star Game that year consisted of the Nuggets versus All-Stars from all of the other teams in the league--and the Nuggets defeated an All-Star Team featuring two of the NBA's 50 Greatest Players (Erving and George Gervin) plus Artis Gilmore, Maurice Lucas and James "Captain Late" Silas!

Kevin Loughery, the Nets' Coach at that time, recently said of Erving's play in the ABA, "He had more talent at that stage--we asked him to do everything. I really believe--and I've told this to Doc--that the NBA never saw the real Dr. J. I really believe that. In the ABA he did things that were incredible. We asked him to do everything. We won the (1976) championship playing against Denver when they had Bobby Jones, an All-League defensive player. He had the best playoff series in a championship series that I've ever seen one individual have." Erving's numbers certainly support Loughery's contention, as the Doctor led both teams in scoring (37.7 ppg), rebounding (14.2 rpg), assists (6.0 apg), steals (3.0 spg) and blocked shots (2.2 bpg) in the 1976 ABA Finals. Pat Putnam wrote a great Sports Illustrated story about the first four games of the series, when Erving rang up 158 points, 51 rebounds, 22 assists, eight steals and seven blocked shots.

Game six was actually an understated performance by Erving in that series: he "only" had 31 points--tying his series low--but his floor game was staggering: 19 rebounds, five assists, five steals, four blocked shots. It is very interesting to watch the closing moments of that game; on each New York half court set possession, Erving received the ball above the top of the key and operated in a 1-4 set, much like Kobe Bryant or LeBron James do today. Erving attacked the basket, accepted the double team and kicked the ball to open teammates who either made shots or drew fouls against defenders who were closing out on them; in part because of the defensive attention that Erving drew, muscular shooting guard "Super" John Williamson scored 16 fourth quarter points. This is a 32 year old highlight but Erving's play has a decidedly modern look to it.

It is so tiresome nowadays to hear people talking about being the man or whose team it is. Everyone on the Nets knew that Erving was "the man" but Erving was also smart enough and unselfish enough to understand that when he was double-teamed someone else was open. This all goes back to something else that Loughery said about Erving: "That man was the best. He was the easiest superstar you could possibly coach." Nets President Rod Thorn, who was then Loughery's assistant coach, expressed similar sentiments when I spoke with him: "He was the best teammate of all the players I’ve been involved with in 40-plus years of NBA basketball. He was our leading scorer, our leading rebounder, our leading shot blocker, our leading assist guy--you name it, he led our team in it, plus he was the leader of our team. He guarded the best forward every night, whether it was a small forward or a big forward. He took most of the big shots. Not only was he a great player, but more importantly he was a great teammate."

During "Game to Remember," Brian Taylor said this about Erving: "My memories and thoughts about Julius and being his teammate are not so much about being in the game but his behind the scenes leadership, his practice, his discipline, all of those things that are unseen (when) you see the highlights (and) that made him a phenomenal player and person. That's what comes to mind when I think about Julius 'Dr. J' Erving: what made him great was his discipline off the court and his personality, his human spirit."

Not sure if this was the greatest finals series, shaq, west, mj and others had some amazing series, but it's definitely up there. Dr J is underrated in my book.

Local High School Star

Its a shame dr j played so much of his prime in the aba, i feel it lessens his legacy in some peoples views

Quote Originally Posted by TheMilkyBarKid
    Its a shame dr j played so much of his prime in the aba, i feel it lessens his legacy in some peoples views
    I agree. The reality of the 1970s was that the best players in the world were split up between 2 leagues. Now that's a fact that is not in dispute.

So why are the stats of only one league counted today officially? The NBA absorbed the ABA including four of it's teams, the vast majority of it's players, and the ABA acquitted itself really well in the first year of the expanded NBA.

The 3 point shot has been absorbed, the dunk contest, and many ABA tactics, as witnessed by Hubie Brown are now currently in use, still.
    The ABA's legacy stands up today, and some say the ABA absorbed the NBA in reality due to the fact that today's game resembles the ABA game more than it resembles the NBA game before the merger.

The NFL absorbed AFL stats, so why can't the NBA absorb ABA stats? Especially considering the ABA dominated inter league games 3-4 years before the merger took place. Stern considered doing this, but perhaps was prevented from doing so due to legal/ financial/resentment considerations because of the ongoing ,at the time, problem with the former owners of the former ABA franchise in St. Louis, who continued to receive TV money after the merger. Their case was settled just 2 months ago in a landmark deal netting their family 500m big ones. A huge coup!

It's time for the NBA to recognize the ABA officially . Hopefully Silver acts on this soon.

Banned

LeBron as the GOAT recognized Dr.J as a Top 3 players ever already.
    Lebron sure as hell would have recruited Dr.J over everyone else had he played in this era

Dr. J would just be a modern day Rudy Gay [COLOR="White"]not really but seriously y'all overrating the man[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Marlo_Stanfield
    LeBron as the GOAT recognized Dr.J as a Top 3 players ever already.
    Lebron sure as hell would have recruited Dr.J over everyone else had he played in this era
    You're right. I remember Lebron specifically mentioned the fact that the best players in the world, at the time, were split up between 2 leagues. He knows his history.

Seen his highlights from a couple of those Finals games, he was absolutely killing it.

People need to realize that those Nuggets - with the same core roster - went on to be the best defense in the NBA, in 1977, with a 50-32 record and they took the eventual champions to 6 games in the WCSF.
    Like you've said, Bobby Jones was the best defensive forward in any league at the time, furthermore he would've most likely been the DPOY in 1977, had there been the award, as he was top10 in blocks and steals, very versatile and always doing a great job on his man, leading in DWS and DRtg, top vote getter for the all-defensive team, main reason why they were so good defensively...

Regarding the 1976 ABA Finals, Bobby was doing a really good job in denying the ball, as he always liked to, but they were throwing some great lob passes to Doc and Denver didn't do a good job in closing out, plus Bobby was also their main rim protector and couldn't do all at once, as Erving was just eating them alive down low, really good in the post, and as always killing it on the break. He was also beasting on the boards and putbacks against Bobby, physical as hell, showing great all-around game as well. Nuggets also tried David Thompson on him, while having Jones to close out, but he was just too small for a player like Julius. Check some of those highlights if you can, he was amazing.

Peak Erving was simply a beast, and people look at his numbers immediately after he joined the NBA, saying he had a huge drop-off but don't realize he was playing on a team with many individual scorers, coach Gene Shue emphasized that everyone had to get theirs and Doc wasn't get "his" shots.. Go look at what he did in the playoffs though, or in 1980. And I'll say that the ABA was weaker (but like you've said, brought a lot and the NBA needs to "recognize it") but they had some great players/teams, let's not underrate a player like Erving, top15 all-time, 3rd goat SF, imo.
    Last edited by SHAQisGOAT; 03-18-2014 at 12:15 PM.

Had he played his whole career in the NBA, he would've landed top 5 all time, no doubt in my mind. Guy was a phenomenal talent and class act, the Jordan before Jordan. Shame he wasted his prime in the ABA.

High School Starter mentallooser's Avatar

Can the Pacers get him?

Quote Originally Posted by Demitri98
    Had he played his whole career in the NBA, he would've landed top 5 all time, no doubt in my mind. Guy was a phenomenal talent and class act, the Jordan before Jordan. Shame he wasted his prime in the ABA.
    Well, not wasted. It looks like you're a Pacer fan. You are a legacy of Doc and the ABA. Doc brought the Pacers to the ABA, and you are now a fan.

BTW, the Pacers have a rich history in the ABA, and you had some powerful teams that won titles in the ABA, and would have possibly defeated NBA champions in the same year. Check out the hypothetical battles in "Remember the ABA.com".

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT

Seen his highlights from a couple of those Finals games, he was absolutely killing it.

People need to realize that those Nuggets - with the same core roster - went on to be the best defense in the NBA, in 1977, with a 50-32 record and they took the eventual champions to 6 games in the WCSF.
    Like you've said, Bobby Jones was the best defensive forward in any league at the time, furthermore he would've most likely been the DPOY in 1977, had there been the award, as he was top10 in blocks and steals, very versatile and always doing a great job on his man, leading in DWS and DRtg, top vote getter for the all-defensive team, main reason why they were so good defensively...

Regarding the 1976 ABA Finals, Bobby was doing a really good job in denying the ball, as he always liked to, but they were throwing some great lob passes to Doc and Denver didn't do a good job in closing out, plus Bobby was also their main rim protector and couldn't do all at once, as Erving was just eating them alive down low, really good in the post, and as always killing it on the break. He was also beasting on the boards and putbacks against Bobby, physical as hell, showing great all-around game as well. Nuggets also tried David Thompson on him, while having Jones to close out, but he was just too small for a player like Julius. Check some of those highlights if you can, he was amazing.

Peak Erving was simply a beast, and people look at his numbers immediately after he joined the NBA, saying he had a huge drop-off but don't realize he was playing on a team with many individual scorers, coach Gene Shue emphasized that everyone had to get theirs and Doc wasn't get "his" shots.. Go look at what he did in the playoffs though, or in 1980. And I'll say that the ABA was weaker (but like you've said, brought a lot and the NBA needs to "recognize it") but they had some great players/teams, let's not underrate a player like Erving, top15 all-time, 3rd goat SF, imo.
    To me, it was a shame that Doc's Nets couldn't get into the NBA intact due to financial problems. It would have been really interesting to see Doc in the same system with the Nets compete in the bigger NBA in 1977.

You mentioned Denver. Denver was just a game off the best record in the NBA in 1977, and Doc's Nets defeated this team in 6 games, just like Bill Walton's Blazer team did.

I shouldn't complain, though. Had Doc entered with the Nets, I probably would never have ended becoming a big fan of his since I was and I still am a Sixer fan.

Does the ABA game resemble today's game more than the NBA itself before the merger?

quote:

It is very interesting to watch the closing moments of that game; on each New York half court set possession, Erving received the ball above the top of the key and operated in a 1-4 set, much like Kobe Bryant or LeBron James do today. Erving attacked the basket, accepted the double team and kicked the ball to open teammates who either made shots or drew fouls against defenders who were closing out on them; in part because of the defensive attention that Erving drew, muscular shooting guard "Super" John Williamson scored 16 fourth quarter points. This is a 32 year old highlight but Erving's play has a decidedly modern look to it.