Default Car got totalled - need used car help

So my lovely little RSX got totalled last week. Now I'm shoved back in the used car market.

I am looking for a car that is:
    Fun to drive, sporty
    Relatively reliable
    Not too expensive to maintain

I've set aside around $15-20k cash for this and here's what I've shortlisted:

1a. 2008 Inifiniti G37 couple - 70-80k miles
    1b. 2010-11 Genesis 3.8 coupe - 30-50k miles
    2. 2008 Nissan 350z - 50-70k miles

Cut from list so far:
    3. 2007 BMW 328 coupe - 60-80k miles (expensive to maintain)
    4. Mustang/Camaro (too big, muscle not sporty)
    5. Mini Cooper S (too small, not practical)

What's the best option here? Any others I should consider?
    Last edited by arkain; 07-24-2014 at 09:30 AM.

Default Re: Car got totalled - need used car help

NBA Superstar

goddamn why so much for a car just buy a nice 2k-3k dollar car and use the rest of your money elsewhere

Decent shout on the Mini, I actually had it shortlisted at first too but dropped it because it might be too small to be practical?

russwest0 - i don't know of a lot of nice cars for around 2-3k, i don't intend to keep replacing cars every 2-3 years, unless i total this one, i'd be happy to drive it till it dies no matter how long that takes

Local High School Star PHX_Phan's Avatar

#3 on your requirement list conflicts with the 3rd car on your list.

Anyway, if I was spending that kind of money on a used car it would probably be a Subaru.

NBA Superstar

Why not just pay like a extra $2k~ and get a brand new Sonata?

if you want sporty why not Optima? I saw a really nice Optima the other day...it was real pimp. I think it was a GT or a high end one. they're nice looking cars, imo some of the most common sporty on the road now, and i think they have Hyundai style warranty.

the cars you're looking out i don't feel you're getting bang for the buck type of value, especially when they're used which is always a bit of a gamble. New is such a assurance in everything working for a long time. my mom has a Genesis, i think they're overrated altho i've seen the every option one which looks amazing on the interior, like a space ship with so much computer shit. anyways i'd assume that Genesis is base model bare....

All of those cars are expensive to maintain..... when BMW's start falling apart good luck...

i mean thats a lot of money to play with and i don't know why you're looking at those

why not get a balance of sporty power with bargain price and fuel economy? have you looked into the mazda 6 or even the newer accords? are you hell bent on a v6 or v8? consider a mustang.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by blacknapalm
    why not get a balance of sporty power with bargain price and fuel economy? have you looked into the mazda 6 or even the newer accords? are you hell bent on a v6 or v8? consider a mustang.

imo stay far away from Mustang...

I've thought about buying new, but new car depreciation is so high that it feels like just throwing money away. Most often you've lost almost 40-50% of the car's value within the first 3 years. Plus if I get a cheap Sonata brand new, I'm pretty sure I'd get sick of it and would want to replace it in 5-6 years. While the ones I've shortlisted (bar the BMW) should keep me occupied for the same duration and probably longer.

I thought about the Mustang and Camaro as well but I'm not a fan of muscle cars. Too big for my liking.

And, the BMW is only on my list cause it's a BMW, I was half expecting someone here to say no so I can convince myself to get rid of that option. Most likely won't pick that option.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by arkain
    I've thought about buying new, but new car depreciation is so high that it feels like just throwing money away. Most often you've lost almost 40-50% of the car's value within the first 3 years. Plus if I get a cheap Sonata brand new, I'm pretty sure I'd get sick of it and would want to replace it in 5-6 years. While the ones I've shortlisted (bar the BMW) should keep me occupied for the same duration and probably longer.

I thought about the Mustang and Camaro as well but I'm not a fan of muscle cars. Too big for my liking.

And, the BMW is only on my list cause it's a BMW, I was half expecting someone here to say no so I can convince myself to get rid of that option. Most likely won't pick that option.

yeah car is a awful investment but man what you're looking at and aiming to spend, i don't necessarily agree with your choices. FYI if you know anyone with a Dealers license Dealer auctions are the way to go...

sounds like you want something sporty and sort of muscle if you're looking at camaro or mustang...i'm more into practical all around cars so can't really help you there, just know i'd never buy a mustang again.

i like SUV's....love the new Audi and Range Rovers. if i get a new car i think i'll try to find a good used deal on one of those.

Always buy Audi

A new contender has emerged. I've replaced the BMW with the 08 Infiniti G37. Seriously thinking about it now. A lot more practical than the 350, similar if not marginally better engine. However, I fear it's probably the most expensive to maintain.

None of those cars listed is something I would label "reliable".

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Always buy Audi
    Stil have my 1997 A6, great car, expensive to fix.