Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    I can't wait until we find proof. It will turn the world on its ear.
    I seriously almost got a chill just reading that. I'm tellin' you, this stuff freaks me out just as much as it intrigues me. I can't help but ponder it, though.

NBA rookie of the year

Default re:

thank you for this enlightening, interesting, yet ultimately irrelevant thread.

but it is cool to know how large some of those stars are.

Local High School Star

Totally off topic of a already off topic thread but has anyone seen the movie the Final countdown? It has Kirk douglas and Martin Sheen in it. I asked a couple of people about if the story was true and they said yes. Can anyone verify this. I don't mean true as in it really happened , i mean did someone actually say this happened that was on the aircraft carrier. Sorry for the post but im not making a thread on this.

Learning to shoot layups

aliens are real guys.....ive seen a real ufo....couldnt have been anything else

NBA rookie of the year

Default re:

there are two argument about extraterrestrial life:

1) the development of life on our own Earth occured by a very small chance given all the factors needed to create it. (all the abiotic factors assemblin at the right time, along with the right amount of oxidizing energy from lightning, and the absence of oxygen, and the presence of the coacervate membranes to support the first organic material, etc....)

but...

other life may be VASTLY different to anything we have on Earth, and it is difficult to conceive it because in the end.. the Earth is all we have known.

in all these movies about alien life form, all extraterrestrial life would have some anthropomorphic quality, if not outright humanoid similarities, then certain biochemical similarties.

the chances of another oxygen/water planet similar to our earth with lifeforms similar to us is VERY REMOTE

Learning to shoot layups

if im not mistaken there are things on the earth that having similar "living" characteristics, but they are not considered living because they dont use carbon

aliens are real guys.....ive seen a real ufo....couldnt have been anything else
    Yes it could.

The truth is out there.

That's some seriously amazing stuff. Consider the possibilities if earth is only the size of a grain of sand.

Quote Originally Posted by ClutchCityReturns
    First of all, I'm a firm believer that there is life in the universe beyond what we know, if for no other reasons than the odds simply being stacked against us being alone in such a huge ass universe. Seriously, as you can see from those comparisons, our planet is but a grain of sand on a beach. Maybe even smaller.

So what I was thinking is this...

Since there are other planets out there that are soooooo much bigger than Earth, what if the creatures that live on those planets are bigger too? I assume creatures on Earth are a certain size due mainly to the size of the planet (don't want it too crowded or we'd use up all the resources) and because of the gravitational pull we have here which makes it impractical to be huge. So what if some other planets that don't have such a strong gravitational pull, or whatever different kinds of differences are involved, makes it possible for creatures to grow proportionate to the size of their planet. I mean, it's not as extreme an example, but if an ant is 10,000 times smaller than a human, what keeps a creature on some other distant planet from being 10,000 times larger than us? Maybe even more than that. I guess what I'm saying is that when people think of life on other planets, they probably imagine things that are roughly the size of what we have here on Earth, but why does that have to be the case?

According to those comparisons, if a creature somewhere else in the universe had what we would consider relative size to his own planet, his right nut could be the size of Earth. That is, if they have balls there.

Space is crazy and so am I.
    very good point, and very nicely argued, my friend. Keep up the good work.

NBA rookie of the year

Default re:

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    I feel ya. I always hate when I watch a sci-fi movie/show, and the aliens have way too many human characteristics to be believable. But it isn't remote at all that there are aliens out there similar to us. The universe stretches infinitely in all directions, so while most life forms will be vastly different from us, there will also be some that are very similar. There might even be some that are almost exactly like us. That's a very strong statistical possibility.

that's only assuming the universe is infinite.

what if it is finite... but just veryyy large? they say the universe is continuously expanding.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat
    Yes it could.

The truth is out there.

That's some seriously amazing stuff. Consider the possibilities if earth is only the size of a grain of sand.

man you wouldnt have believed this this....we dont have the technology for it. It was just sitting in the sky and i thought it was the moon or a planet. After 10-15 seconds of staring at it, it just traveled from one side of the sky to the other in less that 2 seconds. It was unbelievable.

I don't think any of you are considering the time factor in this. Humans as we know it have only been around this planet for a cosmic second . That means there is a highly minute possibility we would parallel another civilisations. We don't have the tools yet to see what lies too far beyond our galaxy.

Learning to shoot layups yeahwhathesaid's Avatar

do you think the universe is infinite in size or is there a boundary where you cant go any further?
    also there has to be life in space, considering we only landed on the moon. We never landed on a star or a planet out of our galaxy nor did we ever took a picture of a star close up.

Very good NBA starter wally_world's Avatar

[COLOR="Red"][FONT="Arial Black"]SCARY!!![/FONT][/COLOR]

IMAGINE THAT BIGGEST ONE HITTING US... errrrr... give sme the creeps... wonder what we are the that biggest star... :confused:

The sun is technically a star.....i'm sure we'll send someone bad there one day. Probably Bush.

Alpha Centauri is the other closest star. 4 light years away or [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]24,000,000,000,000 miles. Max rocket speed is something like 10,000mph so it would take around 300,000 years for a current rocket in perfect conditions to land on the closest star.
    [/FONT]

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Laker Logic's Avatar

How do you think followers (or leaders) of the world's major religions would react if we discovered extraterrestrial life? Imagine the theological scramble to explain THAT one.

For that matter, how do you think your average person would react?