Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Who wouldn't be called a sidekick playing along with Prime Shaq?

Quote Originally Posted by LakersDaBEst
    Shaq O'Neal 41 pts,17 reb,
    Kobe 31 pts,11 reb, playoffs 2002

Dropping 31 points is already a superstar level, but prime Shaq just on another universe.Stop discrediting Kobe for having the GOAT center for the first 3peat, prime Shaq was just too much. However, both of them needed each other in order to 3 peat.

Seriously, even GOAT MJ will be prime Shaq's sidekick,

Um, no.

MJ, Bird, Magic off the top of my head would NOT be sidekicks to Shaq.

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23
    Um, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Doranku
    Not a single player in NBA history would win Finals MVP over Shaq during 2000-2002.

Oh, so prime MJ (6 for 6, mind you) who was clutch as fvck (something you can't say about Shaq) and a better offensive and defensive player than Shaq (with his size, Shaq should have been a defensive BEAST) wouldn't win Finals MVP over prime Shaq?

Never saw Bird play, I see.

7-time NBA All-Star

Um, no.

Actually, Magic might, and based on Magic's history, he'd be willing to do so if it was what was best for the team. In fact, he was Kareem's sidekick for the first 7 seasons of his career, until the 1986-1987 season despite the fact that he was arguably the Lakers best player by '84 or so.

Oh, so prime MJ (6 for 6, mind you) who was clutch as fvck (something you can't say about Shaq) and a better offensive and defensive player than Shaq (with his size, Shaq should have been a defensive BEAST) wouldn't win Finals MVP over prime Shaq?
    I wouldn't say MJ was better defensively than prime Shaq was when he was motivated, as he was during the 2000 season, or the second half/playoffs in 2001.

What's funny about that?

Assuming they face the '00 Pacers, '01 76ers, and '02 Nets, no, I don't think Jordan would win any of those finals MVPs.

Like others have said, Phil ran the offense through Shaq down low during those years. And he absolutely FEASTED on those teams. No one had a hope of stopping him during those years. He made the DPOY Dikembe look like a child during '01.

Jordan simply wouldn't have outplayed Shaq against any of those teams.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    I really don't see how Shaq was a more efficient player than MJ or Lebron. He scores less efficiently, doesn't create nearly as many open shots, easy layups, turns the ball over more etc.
    Uh, Shaq WAS the first option on the Lakers offensively, that only changed for a bit midseason in 2003 when Phil gave Kobe more freedom offensively and he went on those 35 and 40 point streaks.
    I was talking about prime Kobe.
    at Shaq not being able to have that same impact offensively. You think it's a coincidence that Shaq is one of only 4 players along with MJ, Kareem and Mikan to win a scoring title and championship in the same season? It's because Shaq's individual offense was one of the most effective we've seen in a team concept. Unlike some, Shaq getting the ball a ton and scoring a ton was in his team's best interests. That's because you couldn't stop him from getting a high percentage shot 1 on 1, and he became an excellent passer out of double teams. He was a master of getting deep position and going up with a quick jump hook as well as knowing when to pass out and re-post.
    I don't see how Shaq has the same impact offensively over the course of an 82 game season as MJ or Lebron - they're more efficient scorers, much better ball handlers, much better playmakers. The main reason why the 2000 Lakers were as successful as they were was because of their #1 ranked defense and #1 ranked rebounding (led by Shaq), not their offense.

I just really don't see how Shaq is a better option offensively than MJ, or Lebron over the course of an 82 game season. Not only are they more efficient, but they can do EVERYTHING, Shaq is a dominant offensive player, but unless he's in the paint, he doesn't come close to matching MJ or Lebron's impact on an offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    I really don't see how Shaq was a more efficient player than MJ or Lebron. He scores less efficiently, doesn't create nearly as many open shots, easy layups, turns the ball over more etc.I was talking about prime Kobe.I don't see how Shaq has the same impact offensively over the course of an 82 game season as MJ or Lebron - they're more efficient scorers, much better ball handlers, much better playmakers. The main reason why the 2000 Lakers were as successful as they were was because of their #1 ranked defense and #1 ranked rebounding (led by Shaq), not their offense.

I just really don't see how Shaq is a better option offensively than MJ, or Lebron over the course of an 82 game season. Not only are they more efficient, but they can do EVERYTHING, Shaq is a dominant offensive player, but unless he's in the paint, he doesn't come close to matching MJ or Lebron's impact on an offense.

@ the first bolded statement.

@ the second one. What kind of stupid f*cking statement is that? That's like saying unless LeBron is driving to the basketball, he doesn't come close to matching _______'s offensive impact... Wow.

@ the first bolded statement.

@ the second one. What kind of stupid f*cking statement is that? That's like saying unless LeBron is driving to the basketball, he doesn't come close to matching _______'s offensive impact... Wow.
    I'm not just talking about individual scoring idiot, I'm talking about scoring, ball handling, and playmaking. If 2 players are similar scorers, but one is a better playmaker, and ballhandler, doesn't that guy have more impact offensively?

Idiot.

7-time NBA All-Star

Assuming they face the '00 Pacers, '01 76ers, and '02 Nets, no, I don't think Jordan would win any of those finals MVPs.

Like others have said, Phil ran the offense through Shaq down low during those years. And he absolutely FEASTED on those teams. No one had a hope of stopping him during those years. He made the DPOY Dikembe look like a child during '01.

Jordan simply wouldn't have outplayed Shaq against any of those teams.
    It's possible. I think peak 2000 Shaq, or motivated second half/playoff 2001 Shaq was probably AS good as Jordan was prime early 90's MJ, but not sure I'd say better.

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    I really don't see how Shaq was a more efficient player than MJ or Lebron. He scores less efficiently, doesn't create nearly as many open shots, easy layups, turns the ball over more etc.
    First of all, I said I agree with MJ being the better offensive player prime vs prime, though it is difficult to compare dominant centers and great perimeter players.

I wasn't referring to efficiency in particular, but I'll say this as nice as Lebron's efficiency was this season(27 ppg, 57 FG%, 60 eFG%, 64 TS%), it was no longer so historic in the postseason(26 ppg, 53 eFG%, 59 TS%) And that's because of how much Lebron cherry picks for transition baskets and how he was clearly conscious of his FG% during this season, especially his FG% streak.

He doesn't really score less efficiently, just check out Lebron's postseason when his efficiency came down to reality more, not to mention that Shaq's peak(2000) and prime('98-'03) both came during more low scoring, tough defensive eras than Lebron plays in.

Shaq doesn't turn the ball over more than Lebron either, and he created a lot of open shots considering he was doubled more than either MJ or Lebron.

I don't see how Shaq has the same impact offensively over the course of an 82 game season as MJ or Lebron - they're more efficient scorers, much better ball handlers, much better playmakers. The main reason why the 2000 Lakers were as successful as they were was because of their #1 ranked defense and #1 ranked rebounding (led by Shaq), not their offense.
    Lakers were also top 5 offensively, and that was while they started slower offensively due to adjusting to the triangle and Kobe missing the first month of the season with a broken hand. Not to mention, the fact that the Lakers were the 5th worst 3 point shooting team at 32.9% which put even more pressure on Shaq.

I just really don't see how Shaq is a better option offensively than MJ, or Lebron over the course of an 82 game season. No only are they more efficient, but they can do EVERYTHING, Shaq is a dominant offensive player, but unless he's in the paint, he doesn't come close to matching MJ or Lebron's impact.
    And who was able to stop Shaq from getting into the paint? He was often able to get in front and of the rim and seal his man before he even got the ball.

One reason I prefer Shaq's offense over Lebron is besides being the more dominant scorer and drawing more double teams than Lebron, you can run a much smoother offensive through Shaq due to Lebron's ball-dominance.

Prime Shaq was probably one of the most dominant players, offensively, in NBA history. You pretty much had to just foul him in order to stop him, otherwise you'd be ****ed.

Arguing that Prime LeBron > Prime Shaq offensively? Lol.

I agree with OP. I just don't see Shaq being sidekick at his peak to anybody, including Jordan. It's not about ability and moves, it's about direct impact. Why would you not use a low post player of Shaq's presence to get the best looks possible, cause mismatches, and put the other team in the penalty ?

How about this for another emotional stance... exactly who is going to get into Shaq's way ? Jordan, Bird, Magic, etc.. ? Their not going to front with Shaq and make Shaq a 2nd option, that would just be wrong from a team standpoint to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsjames23
    Never saw Bird play, I see.
    What does that mean ? Bird was a great offensive player, but Shaq would score more effectively than him at their best. Bird was a team first guy too, so why would he care about first/second options ?

Serious playground baller Lakers2877's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    GOAT MJ a sidekick? Kobe stans fail again
    Absolutely. That's no knock on jordan. Shaq was putting up 40-20's. Yes even Jordan would have been a sidekick to absolute prime, beasting shaq

Serious playground baller Lakers2877's Avatar

Um, no.

lol COME ON......I love Magic. By far my fave player of alltime. He would have been a sidekick. No doubt about it. Bird? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers2877
    lol COME ON......I love Magic. By far my fave player of alltime. He would have been a sidekick. No doubt about it. Bird? Lol
    Yeah, Bird and Magic are team first guys too. Why wouldn't they give the ball to a peak Shaq and get out of the way ?