Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    The Holy Trinity

Default Michael Beasley's ceiling: Carmelo Anthony? (Or even slightly better)?

I was thinking about it today for some reason, and it occured to me that Beasley has a lot of Melo-like qualities. Both of them have exceptional pure scoring abilities, are good rebounders,... and really don't do much else. I'd actually argue that Beasley as a rookie was a little bit ahead of where Melo was in terms of being able to put the ball in the basket (keep in mind, he only averaged 25 mins. per game last year). And he's probably a better rebounder than Melo too.

Now, Anthony at this point is better in the post and he may be a little bit superior of a long-range shooter. But, really the only main thing Carmelo has on Michael even now is polish and experience. Beasley is still extremely raw. Beasley is obviously not a good defender or passer. But, then again, neither is Melo.

Now what does all this mean to the Heat? In '08 when there was so much hype about the first two picks, I advocated that Miami try to trade their pick for Melo or Dirk (in a package if necessary). Imagining one of those two running alongside a do-everything-player like Wade was an awesome thought.

But, what if by 2010, Beasley is well on his way to Melo-territory AND the Heat can sign Chris Bosh? Any GM in the league would cream themselves to be able have Wade/ Melo/ Bosh as three of their five starters, but what if Miami already has a Melo, only one who is five years younger?

If Super Mario can develop into a Derek Fisher-type, which is what many project him to be, and the Heat can find a defensive-minded center who can score from within five feet when Wade or Chalmers dish them the ball inside, Miami could have a lineup that could stand in with anyone in the league. Add some more quality bench guys, and Kobe and LeBron may not be hogging all the titles between themselves between 2010-2015....
    Last edited by jrong; 09-22-2009 at 07:44 PM.

1 week avy bet..... RedZiggyZag's Avatar

Default Re: Michael Beasley's ceiling: Carmelo Anthony? (Or even slightly better)?

He'll never be Carmelo Anthony or close to Carmelo Anthony, when both career's are done with. Honestly, tell me what Beasley is useful for outside of scoring? Because I can't think of anything. This guy is a nutcase, as you constantly hear him going into rehab. You can give me all the stats, Per game, Per 48 minute, crap you want but there is nothing you can do to convince me that Beasley will ever be the player Carmelo Anthony was today. Sure he could be as good as Rookie Carmelo Anthony, he'll never be in the level Anthony currently is in.

I'll admit I'm not a fan of Beasley, but until Beasley can prove to me what he can do out there and help Dwyane Wade and the Heat win games especially the playoffs, instead of looking at his extended stats, then I don't think he'll ever be to the caliber Carmelo Anthony is today.

Local High School Star

Default Re: Michael Beasley's ceiling: Carmelo Anthony? (Or even slightly better)?

lol @ nutcase

because the league sent him to rehab for weed?

And what exactly is Melo known for beyond scoring?

zach randolph at best

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmoke
    zach randolph at best
    what i was about to say, this is definitely not bad though

Quote Originally Posted by RedZiggyZag
    He'll never be Carmelo Anthony or close to Carmelo Anthony, when both career's are done with. Honestly, tell me what Beasley is useful for outside of scoring? Because I can't think of anything. This guy is a nutcase, as you constantly hear him going into rehab. You can give me all the stats, Per game, Per 48 minute, crap you want but there is nothing you can do to convince me that Beasley will ever be the player Carmelo Anthony was today. Sure he could be as good as Rookie Carmelo Anthony, he'll never be in the level Anthony currently is in.

I'll admit I'm not a fan of Beasley, but until Beasley can prove to me what he can do out there and help Dwyane Wade and the Heat win games especially the playoffs, instead of looking at his extended stats, then I don't think he'll ever be to the caliber Carmelo Anthony is today.

He's a nutcase, mad I tell ya!

He smoked a bit of weed and went to rehab due to the NBA making him from last season. At least he stuck to it.

He can score and rebound. His outside game is one of the most polished we've seen from a rookie in a long time. What more do you want? Find me another rookie that scored as quickly and efficiently as Beasley did in his rookie season.

Melo is a nutcase. DUI and fighting. Terrible, just terrible...

Furthermore, outside of this season, what was Melo known for beside his scoring?

Local High School Star

lol @ Zach Randolph

wake me up when Beasley has any problems with the law.

Boozer/Jamison hybrid is his prime imo

~24/10 with average-solid d(showed very good improvement from start to end of season)

The Holy Trinity

But, what is Melo? Tell me I'm wrong in my assessment of Melo's game: Outstanding scorer, good rebounder, and...?

And now Beasley: very good scorer, with the potential to be incredible and already a better rebounder than Melo. Now of course, this comparison hinges on whether MB can make the transition to being SF. But, even from the PF spot, he can still many of the same things a wing can offensively.

As far as the intangibles, Beasley is a knucklehead with off-court issues. Sound familiar?

Melo is probably a top fifteen player. I don't see any reason Beasley can't be eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by HiphopRelated
    lol @ nutcase

because the league sent him to rehab for weed?

And what exactly is Melo known for beyond scoring?
    You must have completely missed last season of the NBA. Because Melo has improved vastly as a defender. See the 2009 NBA Playoffs for more example. He wanted the assignment to guard Kobe and for the most part, he did a hell of a job. He's not going to stop him, but he did a hell of a job pressuring him and forcing him into tough shots. Melo has always been a good rebounder too, had 7.4 RPG in 08. He's also a pretty decent passer, not to the level guys like Wade, Kobe or LeBron are in, but he's pretty good at passing out of the double team, not a bad playmaker either.

Plus, Beasley played off the bench for the most part last season, so those stats can be incredibly misleading, let's see how the dude plays against the Real men of the NBA instead of the backups.

Different playing styles. Carmelo is a wing slasher, Beasley is a combo forward who can shoot from the perimeter. He's not as athletic but can shoot better.

I see more Antwan Jamison in Beasley than any other player. People think that's a downgrade because Jamison never led a team anywhere as the #1 option, but we don't need him to. We have Wade to do that, plus hopefully another max free agent in 2010.

If Beasley is giving us a consistant 18 PPG - 22 PPG, and a solid 8 REB - 10 REB, on good percentages... and most importantly can be consistant and reliable in the clutch and in the playoffs while giving solid effort defensively, I'm okay with that.

If he becomes a go to scorer the caliber of Anthony, I'm obviously okay with that also.

Local High School Star

You must have completely missed last season of the NBA. Because Melo has improved vastly as a defender.
    so after 6 years in Melo finally made a jump as a defender, but after his rookie season Beasley is written off...gotcha

so after 6 years in Melo finally made a jump as a defender, but after his rookie season Beasley is written off...gotcha

You must have completely missed last season of the NBA. Because Melo has improved vastly as a defender. See the 2009 NBA Playoffs for more example. He wanted the assignment to guard Kobe and for the most part, he did a hell of a job. He's not going to stop him, but he did a hell of a job pressuring him and forcing him into tough shots. Melo has always been a good rebounder too, had 7.4 RPG in 08. He's also a pretty decent passer, not to the level guys like Wade, Kobe or LeBron are in, but he's pretty good at passing out of the double team, not a bad playmaker either.

Plus, Beasley played off the bench for the most part last season, so those stats can be incredibly misleading, let's see how the dude plays against the Real men of the NBA instead of the backups.

LOL that line is soo played out. Same thing was said about Ginobli, then Parker went down at one point, and the guy played even better as the guard in the starting line up.

Nice job reading the rest of the post. But just to add more of my point, Melo was already a pretty good rebounder when he 1st came into the league. 6 RPG as a Rookie, pretty impressive for a Rookie Forward. Always averaged around 3 assists per game since being in the NBA. Most importantly, Melo has always started into this league and has always led his team to the playoffs and win ball games. I don't see Beasley doing that, as a matter of fact right now I don't even see Beasley starting for the Heat. So right now, he's just playing with a bunch of backups in the NBA. Which reminds me of Jose Calderon a couple of years ago when he was the backup of TJ Ford and they all thought he was better than Ford.