Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Am I the only one not fooled by arbitrary "First player to X X and X since ____"?

It seems every week there's some new player to become the "first" to average some completely arbitrary number since way back when

Often times these numbers aren't even close to what the past players numbers actually were either. For example I saw a stat, Lebron I believe chasing 4 other players with "25-5-5" performances... guys like Wilt Chamberlain and Oscar Roberttson were on the list... I'm thinking, Wilt was averaging over 20 rebounds and Oscar probably 10 rebounds and 10 assists in most all those games why arbitrarily chop down the numbers to just 5 assists and rebounds?

Solely to prop up and sell these modern players that's why. They want to make it seem like records are being broken several times every damn week. It isn't pointed out that the legends these guys are often being compared to actually were putting up vastly superior performances. The modern marketing machine just wants to be able to throw a bunch of all-time great names our way in the presence of these young guys playing right now which is great in the sense that they are keeping old names alive. But it's slightly annoying when in reality these past performances and legends are actually sometimes being underrepresented in order to even make the comparison.

Also I notice a lot of arbitrary cut off points. They'll eliminate the Michael Jordan era, or the 80's, or the 70's/60's etc on down the line if any of those decades had too many statistics that make whatever stat they are presenting from a modern player appear unfavorable. They'll often only make this disclaimer in the finest of print while someone proceeds to talk about the "new record".

Oh well. Ending my rant.

National High School Star Fire Colangelo's Avatar

Default Re: Am I the only one not fooled by arbitrary "First player to X X and X since ____"?

Agreed.

A lot of arbitrary stats ESPN makes up are wrong too, or doesn't account for pre 1970 which makes no sense.

Great college starter SyRyanYang's Avatar

Default Re: Am I the only one not fooled by arbitrary "First player to X X and X since ____"?

Am I the only one not fooled by the arbitrary records recorded pre-70s.

Quote Originally Posted by SyRyanYang
    Am I the only one not fooled by the arbitrary records recorded pre-70s.
    They used to come without arbitrary disclaimers and stipulations. Unlike the records you see today.

For example, setting a scoring rebounding or assist record back then, actually meant you were setting the scoring rebounding or assist record.

Today, since nobody is touching that stuff, they have to come up with arbitrary cut off points, or arbitrary statistical combo's (IE 25-5-5).

You don't see the difference?

To be honest I don't even mind the use of arbitrary cut offs on numbers and dates... I just think if they are going to do it would be respectful and more truthful to also show what they've excluded and why. For example, the 4 guys ahead of Lebron on the 25-5-5 list's numbers should actually be posted so people can see they weren't just putting up a bunch of similar 25-5-5 games. Or if they cut off dates, show why they cut off the dates (because greater numbers were present back then in w/e stat they wished to show for w/e reasons). They should pull back the curtain a little more. I know they won't though because the reasons behind the arbitrary records isn't about honest sports journalism or record seeking, it's about marketing. The truth in full context isn't nearly as marketable.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 02-28-2015 at 03:48 AM.

I see this every time I turn on ESPN. They never stop with the arbitrary statistics.

sure its arbitrary, but then again imo its just giving props to great players. for instance, russ is the second player to average 30/10/8, why cut it there? because he obviously doesnt qualify for 30/10/10, but 30/10/8 is still impressive, and who cares if its arbitrary tbh? I mean, we are talking about future hof players its not like these arbitrary stats will still be bought up in a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Random_Guy
    sure its arbitrary, but then again imo its just giving props to great players. for instance, russ is the second player to average 30/10/8, why cut it there? because he obviously doesnt qualify for 30/10/10, but 30/10/8 is still impressive, and who cares if its arbitrary tbh? I mean, we are talking about future hof players its not like these arbitrary stats will still be bought up in a couple of years.
    Well I agree that keeping the names in circulation is a positive, I actually mentioned that that is one of the good things about the arbitrary records.

I also pointed out that I don't mind that they are used. I just think the curtain should be pulled back a little further when they are mentioned, out of respect to names in question. The differences are often not just small, they are often noteworthy and should be mentioned but rarely are.

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

arbitrary water

wilt is the definition of arbitrary.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

agreed w/ op

A lot of the stats from back in the day are too ridiculous... 50 rebound game c'mon bro

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by #number6ix#
    A lot of the stats from back in the day are too ridiculous... 50 rebound game c'mon bro

So are you saying they didn't happen?

3-time NBA All-Star

I really only care about 6/6, 5/7 and 2/5

Local High School Star SpanishACB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    It seems every week there's some new player to become the "first" to average some completely arbitrary number since way back when

Often times these numbers aren't even close to what the past players numbers actually were either. For example I saw a stat, Lebron I believe chasing 4 other players with "25-5-5" performances... guys like Wilt Chamberlain and Oscar Roberttson were on the list... I'm thinking, Wilt was averaging over 20 rebounds and Oscar probably 10 rebounds and 10 assists in most all those games why arbitrarily chop down the numbers to just 5 assists and rebounds?

Solely to prop up and sell these modern players that's why. They want to make it seem like records are being broken several times every damn week. It isn't pointed out that the legends these guys are often being compared to actually were putting up vastly superior performances. The modern marketing machine just wants to be able to throw a bunch of all-time great names our way in the presence of these young guys playing right now which is great in the sense that they are keeping old names alive. But it's slightly annoying when in reality these past performances and legends are actually sometimes being underrepresented in order to even make the comparison.

Also I notice a lot of arbitrary cut off points. They'll eliminate the Michael Jordan era, or the 80's, or the 70's/60's etc on down the line if any of those decades had too many statistics that make whatever stat they are presenting from a modern player appear unfavorable. They'll often only make this disclaimer in the finest of print while someone proceeds to talk about the "new record".

Oh well. Ending my rant.
    you're like nostalgia's lawyer but you're not even 50

how does this happen?

is this a result of too much free time? was your grandfather a basketball fan? did you not meet your daddy?

3-time NBA All-Star

Its really from betas who settle for less coz they knew their boy's 2/5 aint going to improve