Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Arrow ***the ultimate RINGs Guide*** ~ olympic style

i see there is still some confusion here , with regards to the question "which rings should count and which shouldn't?" in comparisons .. and in honor of the Olympics goin on right now.. i bring to ISH ring counting, olympic style ..

for career rankings only, titles w/ ..

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Gold[/COLOR] = superstar impact*
    [COLOR="SlateGray"]silver[/COLOR] = all star impact*
    [COLOR="Sienna"]bronze[/COLOR] = role player impact*

Gold medal is winner and each subsequent medal below tie breaker..

Russell - 11 Gold
    MJ - 6 Gold
    Magic - 5 Gold
    Kareem - 4 Gold, 2 silver
    Duncan - 4 gold, 1 silver
    Kobe - 4 Gold, 1 silver
    Shaq - 3 Gold, 1 silver
    Lebron - 3 Gold
    Bird - 3 Gold
    Wilt - 2 Gold

damn ... that actually looks like a solid list.
    what you say, ish

*superstar impact is defined as having a top 3 playoff run for the year in question. Making 1st team all nba (top 5 player) may also be acceptable, but restrictions apply. All star impact, is simply had you made the all star or 2nd/3rd all nba team and played at that level whilst winning in the playoffs, and role player impact is robert horry level.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: ***the ultimate RINGs Guide*** ~ olympic style

1.Russell
    2.MJ
    3.Magic
    4.Kareem
    5.Duncan
    6.Kobe
    7.Shaq
    8.Lebron
    9.Bird
    10.Wilt

That is a pretty decent top 10 list

Good job, nice selection of criteria

Default Re: ***the ultimate RINGs Guide*** ~ olympic style

A bit of context left out here, but its probably better than most topics and "rankings" I've seen here lately.

Kobe's contributions to the 2000-2002 Laker teams are generally underrated...even by posters like myself. Shaq was just so damn legendary you kinda forget that Kobe was a f*cking monster those years too.

BTW, KAJs "silver medals" are for 87 and 88 correct?

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    A bit of context left out here, but its probably better than most topics and "rankings" I've seen here lately.

Kobe's contributions to the 2000-2002 Laker teams are generally underrated...even by posters like myself. Shaq was just so damn legendary you kinda forget that Kobe was a f*cking monster those years too.

'88 should definitely be a bronze

list is fine and medals seem to be right. Still you didn't answer some other questions that are important like how many silvers is worth a gold or how many bronzes are worth a silver. Also Wilt at 10 just seems way too low but then again can't blame people here for hating on him.

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy

yup, im not that versed on anything from kaj, wilt russell etc time at all so i was just giving them the benefit of the doubt.. even if you change one to bronze he'd still be in the same place tho because the bronze would give him a tie breaker over duncan.

Quote Originally Posted by NBAGOAT
    list is fine and medals seem to be right. Still you didn't answer some other questions that are important like how many silvers is worth a gold or how many bronzes are worth a silver. Also Wilt at 10 just seems way too low but then again can't blame people here for hating on him.
    i dont think any # of silvers could truly equal a gold .. i was using as tie breaker but i guess 2-3 silvers per gold, and 2-3 bronzes per silver.. not sure

Superstar impact is vague and honestly way too low expectation for GOAT tier players

There should be an additional class above Gold... The "FMVP" tier

The Finals MVP symbolizes that a player is the SOLE best individual in the championship series

Can't have teammates both getting gold for 1 Finals win....Magic and KAJ....Shaq and Kobe.

Magic should get Silver for 1980 Finals and Kobe should get 1 gold for 2009 , 2 silver and 2 bronze for 2000 and 04.

It's for Finals performance only.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    i dont think any # of silvers could truly equal a gold .. i was using as tie breaker but i guess 2-3 silvers per gold, and 2-3 bronzes per silver.. not sure
    there's another problem you have that's mostly concerned with Wilt's ranking. You didn't mention guys like Havlicek and Pippen who must have like 1 or 2 gold/superstar seasons at least since I think both are clearly above just all star level. That could move them into the top 10 which isn't consensus at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
    Superstar impact is vague and honestly way too low expectation for GOAT tier players

There should be an additional class above Gold... The "FMVP" tier

The Finals MVP symbolizes that a player is the SOLE best individual in the championship series
    there have been many finals MVPs that have had worse runs than guys who didnt win FMVP... Like whose going to take chauncey billups, tony parker, kawhi leonard, james worthy etc, over prime versions of Kareem, Kobe, Duncan, Bird, Magic, etc all of whom had superstar runs with no FMVP.. i'm sure a fmvp clause could be added somehow just dont know how, but it seems to ignore impact for media narrative. Like last year iggy winning was a bronze or silver at best for the playoffs as a whole, where as curry was a Gold.. FMVP just came down to journalists selling their stories to me (they were the voters).

Also, a "superstar impact" is seriously undermined by a teammate winning FMVP over said player

I have suggested a "Batman-Robin Meter" be implemented to get a better more accurate result

For instance;

LeBron has a 100% Batman Rating (3-3 FMVPs)

Kobe has a 60% Robin Rating (2-5 FMVPs)

Multiply Kobe's suggested 4 gold total by 0.6 for his Real World Total of 2.4 gold total

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
    Also, a "superstar impact" is seriously undermined by a teammate winning FMVP over said player

I have suggested a "Batman-Robin Meter" be implemented to get a better more accurate result

For instance;

LeBron has a 100% Batman Rating (3-3 FMVPs)

Kobe has a 60% Robin Rating (2-5 FMVPs)

Multiply Kobe's suggested 4 gold total by 0.6 for his Real World Total of 2.4 gold total
    ...and this is when threads go to shit.

What in the f*ck are you rambling on about?

Why don't you stick to doing this for the Finals and penalize players who played with other "gold" level players during the same season?

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

John Havlicek 7 seasons of his prime...playoff averages

24/9/4
    27/8/3
    26/9/8
    25/10/6
    27/8/6
    24/5/5
    27/6/6

4 of his 8 rings are in that stretch and for 3 of the other 4 rings he was a 17, 18, and 20 ppg player. Other season he was a rookie..and even then he was a 14/7 player who had 18 in game 7 to win a ring. He had 40/10/7 to close out the 68 finals. Hit big shots his whole career. He might well have 9 rings if not for getting hurt in 73 after leading the Celtics to 68 wins. He was at the top of his game. He set the still standing playoff record for made field goals that year when he dropped 54 on the Hawks. He was all D team 8 times...despite it not existing till he was 28 or 29.

He was coming off the bench to lead the team in scoring plenty of times as a rookie....was on his "Havlicek stole the ball!" heroics in I think his second or third year....was making playoff game winners already...and had 28/8/4 in the last game of his career:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vekb4RhplI

Hes one of those guys downplayed only by people who were not around to see him play...which is kinda sad. He had good numbers...but by all accounts was more respected than just about anyone in sports.

Just saying is all.