Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Anthony Davis compared with KG, Duncan and Dwight

I haven't watched this young kid much this year but from what I can tell he isn't the ISO player that young Duncan or Howard was. Both those guys would get u 25-15 any given night on 60 percent efficiency if you isolate them on their strong side. Seems like if Davis gets u 25 and 15 it's likely going to take a lot more shots and lower efficiency. People will say but hey he has guard skills that's a big bonus right? Well would a point guard with post up skills be a huge bonus? Not really at all. Power forwards are meant to play with power not finess and dribbling they are only doing themselves a disservice. One bounce is all u need that close to the rim you don't need to put it between ur legs and step back jumper. Barkley, Malone, kg, timmy, gasol, zbo etc are all how a power forward should play and that's taking the ball to the rim and powering it through rather than rely on jumpers off the dribble. I think if ad wants to be great he has to play with more power, intensity and work on a post game which makes him more efficient.

How do u compare kgs, Tim and howards game with AD?

Default Re: Anthony Davis compared with KG, Duncan and Dwight

I agree, he is no Duncan. You can't dump it to him to get you key baskets. But then again, Duncan came out as a senior and was very polished. Duncan was that guy, I think AD is fantastic but he is not someone you can revolve your offense around... yet. He should hone his skills, I have no doubt he will get there. I just don't want to put him up on that pedestal already like most people on here already are.

lol Dwight

current Dwight or prime dwight can't even give you 25/15 on 60% let alone a young one. KG had a similar playing style in his younger days. Comparisons to Duncan i never agreed with.

Local High School Star

Prime Dwight was a nightmare defensively and gives u 30 and 15 easily with dpoy defense (won 3). He sometimes gets lazy and passes it out but there is no doubt he was the one who led his team past the Celtics and the cavaliers so let's not put AD on the same level yet.

AD is not the same player who u can throw it down and tell him to give u a 30-15 against anyone. Dwight could but sometimes didn't want to but when he did for a whole game u can see his 40-20 games and etc as proof that if he wants to he takes control of the game.

AD is confused and wants to do everything like Lebron does and ill prob see him shooting 3s in a couple of years so he definitely plays different from the great PFs in Duncan, Malone Barkley etc

Quote Originally Posted by retaxis
    Prime Dwight was a nightmare defensively and gives u 30 and 15 easily with dpoy defense (won 3). He sometimes gets lazy and passes it out but there is no doubt he was the one who led his team past the Celtics and the cavaliers so let's not put AD on the same level yet.

AD is not the same player who u can throw it down and tell him to give u a 30-15 against anyone. Dwight could but sometimes didn't want to but when he did for a whole game u can see his 40-20 games and etc as proof that if he wants to he takes control of the game.

AD is confused and wants to do everything like Lebron does and ill prob see him shooting 3s in a couple of years so he definitely plays different from the great PFs in Duncan, Malone Barkley etc

Dwight in his 3rd year was how good exactly?

Dwight never had a season as good as this year's AD, statistically. Dwight peaked at 26.1 PER, Davis has a 30.8 PER in his 3rd season, AD has only played 66 games, yet his Winshares are just slightly off of peak Dwight's, who played a full season, not to mention that Davis' BPM is much higher. Let's face it, Dwight >>> on D, AD >>>>> on O.

Dwight is the better rebounder and right now you can't put AD over him as a rim protector, but Davis can create his own offense, he can shoot the J, he can finish in the post, inside, sometimes even from 3. He shoots above 80% from the FT line. His defense is improving and despite him missing 16 games this season, he could still end up in the Playoffs in one of the toughest Western Conferences ever in terms of how many good teams there are.

And It's laughable how you say he plays different from Duncan, how exactly? If you watch Duncan, he also gets his points off mid-range jump shots, shots off the glass from the baseline, it's the same shit really, AD reminds me of Duncan a lot on the offensive end.

Quote Originally Posted by retaxis

hmm
    howard has 6 games in his entire career that's over 40, Davis already has 4 games that's over 40 points..
    and if you take away asik.. davis could probably average 15 rebounds now..back in orlando, Dwight took entire team's rebound cos Lewis was busying shooting 3s.

I do think AD has similar play style as Bosh back in Toronto time tho.

Closest comparison is probably KG but AD really needs to step up defensively for that.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe

Dwight never had a season as good as this year's AD, statistically. Dwight peaked at 26.1 PER, Davis has a 30.8 PER in his 3rd season, AD has only played 66 games, yet his Winshares are just slightly off of peak Dwight's, who played a full season, not to mention that Davis' BPM is much higher. Let's face it, Dwight >>> on D, AD >>>>> on O.

Dwight is the better rebounder and right now you can't put AD over him as a rim protector, but Davis can create his own offense, he can shoot the J, he can finish in the post, inside, sometimes even from 3. He shoots above 80% from the FT line. His defense is improving and despite him missing 16 games this season, he could still end up in the Playoffs in one of the toughest Western Conferences ever in terms of how many good teams there are.

And It's laughable how you say he plays different from Duncan, how exactly? If you watch Duncan, he also gets his points off mid-range jump shots, shots off the glass from the baseline, it's the same shit really, AD reminds me of Duncan a lot on the offensive end.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe

09 Dwight was a different animal. He was unguardable 1 on 1. Reason lakers beat them in the finals was because they had two big 7 footers to throw at him and wear him down in pay and Bynum. Put ad on 09 Dwight, Dwight will devour him

Quote Originally Posted by Prime_Shaq
    Closest comparison is probably KG but AD really needs to step up defensively for that.
    KG was also a very gifted passer.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by bobopenguin
    hmm
    howard has 6 games in his entire career that's over 40, Davis already has 4 games that's over 40 points..
    and if you take away asik.. davis could probably average 15 rebounds now..back in orlando, Dwight took entire team's rebound cos Lewis was busying shooting 3s.

I do think AD has similar play style as Bosh back in Toronto time tho.
    This.

It revolves around who you would take building a franchise.

I reckon very few people here would say Dwight.

NBA rookie of the year

He seems a little soft. Every time I check in on him he's getting hurt with some minor thing. He needs to air out his vag.

Quote Originally Posted by Collie
    KG was also a very gifted passer.
    Yeah true enough. AD looks to score more.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Scoooter
    He seems a little soft. Every time I check in on him he's getting hurt with some minor thing. He needs to air out his vag.