Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    I hit 30-footers

Default Re: The difference in big men between LA & MIA isn't as astronomical as people think

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    He averaged similar almost non existent numbers during this year's Finals run as well. Lakers have won back to back CHIPS without him basically.
    Nope. Bynum clearly is the 2nd option behind Gasol.

Default Re: The difference in big men between LA & MIA isn't as astronomical as people think

Quote Originally Posted by Scoooter
    Chris Bosh isn't really 6'11". Maybe 6'10". And it's mostly neck. If he had a regular human neck he'd be, like, 6'7", tops.
    Pre-Draft measurements

Wingspan - 7' 3.5"

So he has the wingspan of a legit PF / C. Even if his neck is a little above-average, he's definitely the size of a PF, if not taller.

Bosh is around 6'10 but has very long arms which makes him even better offensively. He should be more of a threat defensively than he is.

OKC fans said this.

Jazz fans said this.

Suns fans said this.

Magic fans said this.

Celtic fans said this.

Now

Heat fans are saying this.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Funk
    OKC fans said this.

Jazz fans said this.

Suns fans said this.

Magic fans said this.

Celtic fans said this.

Now

Heat fans are saying this.
    Coincidentally, none of these teams had LeBron James or Dwyane Wade on the same team.

The Lakers have a better frontcourt. It isn't THAT much better. I already explained why. On the other hand, the Wade-LeBron duo makes up for any front-court disparity and then some. That's the whole point of this thread.

Stay Strong Droth

You can't look at numbers to argue that Miami's frontcourt is equal/almost equal to LA's.

Numbers are used way too often to compare, because that is a tangible measuring stick. But it only tells the paper side of the game, not the game inself.

The difference is how LA plays when they have their super big line-up of Pau and Bynum. When their two guys play together, they are a dominant interior team. Dominant; not good, not great, dominant. They control the interior. Teams have a hard time scoring in the paint against them, and rebounding, try to get an offensive rebound against them. Offensively, it allows LA to be very efficient. Easy points in the playoffs, and foul trouble=easy points at the free throw line.

I will say that Miami can compete with anyone with that team they have assembled. Anytime you can have two franchise players, that is a darn good team. And an all-star as the 3rd fiddle, can't knock that.

But comparing their frontcourt to LA's and saying they are almost equal, I don't agree. I think LA still holds a considerable advantage there.

Haslem, love his game. Tough and rugged. If Miami didn't resign this guy they would have regretted it.
    Anthony, blocks shots but thats it. Cant say his man-man defense is average.
    Z, can still play but not a difference maker. Might be able to disrupt both Bynum and Pau with his length though.
    Bosh, 20/10 don't grow on trees, and he is legit 6'11" maybe bigger. But defense will be his weakness.

Bynum, good low post game, but suspect defense
    Pau, 1st team NBA type player. Very good but still underrated defensively IMO.
    Odom, super versitile. Rebounds like a machine. Only issue is he has ADD sometimes
    Ratliff, I would take him over Anthony, but I might be called a homer.

Serious playground baller Gabuyaux's Avatar

Chris Bosh isn't really 6'11". Maybe 6'10". And it's mostly neck. If he had a regular human neck he'd be, like, 6'7", tops.
    This is funny, but true. I'd give Bosh a little more leeway and say he'd be 6'8"-6'9" tops.

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by All Net
    It's what he averaged in the playoffs basically, on one leg. Everybody knows a healthy Bynum can give you a good 17 and 10 on any night. Hell he averaged 20 and 10 when Pau was out.
    When Pau was out ... doesn't mean he'd continue to average that because he's an inconsistent player.

When Pau was out ... doesn't mean he'd continue to average that because he's an inconsistent player.
    Doesn't mean he wouldn't either, we don't know as Bynum has always played on a stacked team. 20 and 10 wouldn't be that hard for him to average if he was on a team like Bosh was on last season.

Stay Strong Droth

You know, I was thinking Bosh was only about 6'9" myself.

But have you seen the pictures of the Miami 3 together? Bosh is about 2 inches taller than LBJ. So, unless he is standing on somthing, he is really 6'10" or bigger. I was actually shocked when I saw that

I still can't understand why people are hyping up LA's 'size advantage' over Miami as being the determining factor in a potential Finals match-up. Bynum has been non-existent in the Playoffs for 3 straight years now, and Miami virtually has their own Pau Gasol in Chris Bosh. Furthermore, LA for some reason only utilizes their size advantage in flashes. Look at the OKC series from this year, or the Rockets series from last year. With our size, those series shouldn't have even been close. Yet we needed a last second tip in game 6 against OKC to clinch, and the Houston series went 7 games. If size advantage is as important as some of you guys are making it out to be, those series' shouldn't have gone more than 5 games.

The REAL key factor, imo, is how Kobe defends Wade. As the #1 option, Kobe has never guarded anyone close to Wade's caliber in a 7 game series. Now, with Artest guarding LeBron, Kobe's going to be forced to D up on Wade. Personally, I hope Wade lights Kobe up at some point during the regular season. The last few years Kobe's D has been sporadic and inconsistent to say the least. He isn't going to be able to take plays off on the defensive end guarding arguably the best player in the league. I really think that unless Kobe has a chip on his shoulder from Wade going off on him previously, it's going to be a long series for the Lakers.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101
    In what ****ing universe does Andrew Bynum average 9 and 7? For his CAREER he's 10 and 7... and last season he was 15/8 on 57% shooting, half of that time spent hobbling around on a bum knee.
    Obviously, the discussion is about a match-up in the playoffs. Bynum has been wholly unimpressive there.

2009--Averaged 6/3
    2010--Averaged 9/7

And he's always injured. Talking about what he does when healthy is pointless.

Very good NBA starter

He averaged similar almost non existent numbers during this year's Finals run as well. Lakers have won back to back CHIPS without him basically.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Peteballa

Bynum? Come on, dude. He isn't this franchise sort of player people are making him out to be. He's a decent starting C. Will put up 15/10, on a good night. This is assuming he is healthy, which is uncommon for him. Do you really think his 15/10 against Joel Anthony's 7/5 (about what he will average this coming year) is going to win the series for the Lakers? No. Then, I hear about how Lamar Odom is going to terrorize the Heat off the bench. Udonis Haslem is a way better defender than Lamar Odom, and hits a more consistent shot, and will overall help his team just as much if not more than Lamar Odom.
    The Heat are very good, I don't know why people are trying to put them down. But the Lakers have the best front court in the league.

Bynum will put up 15/9 on an average night so he'll put up 20/10 on a extra good night. Bynum is also our best inside defensive player.

Lamar and Haslem are pretty close in overall stat production with a small edge to Odom. Haslem might be a bit better defender but it's fairly close. You also neglect to think about the advantages that Odom creates with his ball handling and playmaking ability. He's also a pretty good system passer, he throws post feeds, high-low and cut passes very well.

Also you fail to mention that

1) The Lakers have maybe the best defensive swing man rotation in Kobe, Barnes and Artest.

2) The Lakers have the overall most balanced team in the NBA with the additions to the bench this off season. There's a bit of everything.

3) The Lakers have the best roster in terms of fitting the system played

4) The best coaching staff in the world

5) A LOT of playoff experience at the highest level

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Doranku
    I remember saying that after 07-08. Then I remember saying that after 08-09. Now it just seems like wishful thinking.
    And this.