Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Biased Troll

Default Re: Lamar Odom's salary would fall from $8.9 million to $2.6 in NBA owners' proposal

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    What a player can comfortably live on is beside the point. The players have a value that the market should be able to determine, and instituting a cap limits them in their earning potential. Are owners capped on their earnings? How many other professions can you think of that puts a cap on earnings? Do CEOs get capped? Do movie stars get capped? Do musicians get capped?

Being a CEO means youre your own boss. Being a movie star is an independent contract.

Being a basketball player means you're an employee of the league who provides all those stadiums, jerseys, hotels, team charters, referees, dinners, shoes, etc. and you have virtually no responsibility. Most of these guys would be fired from jobs that pay 50k if they came to work reflecting the image they do, or having the legal issues they do. These guys don't have any stress that comes with businesses making money or losing money, handling employees, dealing with business partners or anything like that. They get a guaranteed contract to PLAY BASKETBALL.

And a lot of businesses DO cap the salary of various positions in the company. U wanna earn more, you have to get promoted to a new position. As a basketball player, if you wanna earn more, play your best and get a max contract then market yourself outside the league, invest in businesses etc.

You are rite, the market sets the players value. And the owners can determine what that value is in THEIR market. Players can test other markets and see what their value is in other leagues. Nobody stops them.

The owners and the players have the right to pursue these negotiatios in their own interest. Neither is wrong for doing so.

The fact u predictably blame the owners and think u have some moral authority over them is yet another example of how much of an utter loser and retard u are. Sarcastic, YOU'RE A F@GGOT
    Last edited by FourthTenor; 08-26-2011 at 06:39 PM.

Banned

Default Re: Lamar Odom's salary would fall from $8.9 million to $2.6 in NBA owners' proposal

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    They dont generally have to hand over 400 million in cash you know? Its complicated. The buying of a team is tied up in banks, loans, and small owners chilling in and so on. Isnt just a guy pulling up with a pickup truck full of hundreds and leaving it at the front gate.

Besides the values of the teams raise so much over time they dont really need the revenue to get what they paid back and then some if they want it.
    I was generalizing the situation.

If I wanted to go in depth about it, like you did, there are usually groups that buys these teams or money being lent from the banks. Which then has to be paid back in interest.

One ownership group can generate X amount of dollars but that money has to be funneled down to everyone.

Who would want to own a 10 percent share in a team by the time the money gets funneled down to you, 5 to 10 years has passed, and this is not knowing the economic conditions or how your team will be playing. It's a big gamble and everyone wants their money.

All, while the players are getting 6 years of guarantee money that is anywhere from 50 million to max. They are getting what the owners should be payed back without an initial investment.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by FourthTenor
    I'm a douchebag
    What you are failing to realize is that owning an NBA franchise is not exactly like owning any other business. They are granted anti-trust exemption from the government to run their league, so the rules they must adhere to are much different than any other business. They would not be able to operate as a league without a CBA, so you can't just throw around cliches like "They're the boss, so it's their rules".

An actor negotiating his independent contract with the studio is akin to the players union negotiating with the NBA for their contract. If they can't agree to the contract, the NBA can just bypass them and make up their own rules. They would sued to high hell.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

They are getting what the owners should be payed back without an initial investment.
    Key problem...what the owners get back isnt their problem because they arent co investors. They arent partners. In fact they arent even allowed to own part of the teams. Thats why Jordan had to sell his stake in the wizards to return. And why Magic sold his share of the Lakers to play in 96. Players arent on the investor side. They are the product to be invested in. They are why its feasible to spend 400 million on a team to begin with.

They are sentient cocaine. Or better yet...high priced hookers in a legal brothel. Ever hear of the bunny ranch in Nevada?

Its a legal whore house where guys from all over the world fly in to ****. The girls charge exorbitant rates. some might get 2000 dollars for an hours work. One might say...they just have to lay down and get ****ed and they get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to do it....

Meanwhile the guy who owns the place....he just gets a cut. He had to buy the complex, put millions into fixing it up, he keeps it in public eye, he pays to advertise, he got them a deal with HBO for more publicity. Hes gotta cover crazy health benefits and pay bills and keep these hoes in AC and smelling nice. He provides all sorts of shit.

But they get the major money. And you know why?

Hes SELLING them. You cant make million selling something self aware without it getting paid...heavily. It doesnt matter how much he spent to give them the great conditions they work in. He spent it...because he wanted them to come work in it. He needs them to bring in customers. They make HIM the money.

They could always walk. ***** sells on the street or in the Bunny Ranch. But they dont walk because it doesnt sell for thousands....and a pimp doesnt answer to the law or theh ealth department. Same for the NBA. They arent gonna walk away from millions and being treated like gods just because basketball talent on their level sells anywhere. NBA players can make a good living...anywhere. I went to school with Shammond williams. Know some of his people. He was driving a new all black everything Benz off money he got in europe to not even be a star. And this was years after he was out of the NBA.

The players could walk...the hookers can walk...but neither gets what the current bosses offer. And they dont offer it out of the goodness of their hearts. They offer it because after many high prices accountants and lawyers looked into it...they saw that they could make money. If not yearly...they could make it when they sell the team. No more sure flip in the world than a major sports team. Coke might bring back money....

The Yankees went from 8 million to like 2 billion. And that is a lot more than inflation.

Either they do it for the sure money of selling it off....or the love of the game and wanting to see the team win. In which case the money doesnt matter.

They arent locking out players because a bunch of billionaires need the money. They are doing it because they can. Because the players/hookers wont all walk fast enough to ruin them. The players wont have the marketing machine working for them if they do. Wont be able to make the same lives elsewhere. They know it.

They can lose a season in full and not miss a thing. NBA players for the most part arent rich enough to come up 4-15 million short and not feel it.

This lockout is because a few more money hungry owners...know they can win. Its not because they need the money or their rent wont get paid. THey just...feel like getting more.

But they dont really need to get their investment money back. These guys for the most part BID to get these teams. They were bidding for the right to pay these guys millions.

It didnt get sprung on them at the last minute.

I dont buy that a single owner needs a dime from the NBA to do anything. Its just the principle....and having the power to get their way.

Biased Troll

LoLwut? U just outlined all the responsibilities and financial gambles that come with owning a team, but u think the owners are locking out just for the amusement that comes with being able to??

A lot of teams ARENT doing well financially. Owners are allowed to try to change that. What happes if YOU feel underpaid? U either ask for a raise, apply for a promotion, work somewhere else etc. You take action on your own behalf. If owners think the work and money that goes into owning a team isnt paying off well enough, they can make moves. If the labor doesnt like the moves, they can maketheir own moves. Thats the market, thats business.

People like Sarcastic ALWAYS automativally blame the person at te top, even if he has no idea whats going on. Its just his pea-brained go-to move. Always blame whoever is at the top. If hes wrong, blame him. If the other guys wrong, blame him anyway. If theyre both wrong, or NEITHER is wrong, blame the guy at the top anywy.

He just has a chronic pansy mentality.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Key problem...what the owners get back isnt their problem because they arent co investors. They arent partners. In fact they arent even allowed to own part of the teams. Thats why Jordan had to sell his stake in the wizards to return. And why Magic sold his share of the Lakers to play in 96. Players arent on the investor side. They are the product to be invested in. They are why its feasible to spend 400 million on a team to begin with.

They are sentient cocaine. Or better yet...high priced hookers in a legal brothel. Ever hear of the bunny ranch in Nevada?

Its a legal whore house where guys from all over the world fly in to ****. The girls charge exorbitant rates. some might get 2000 dollars for an hours work. One might say...they just have to lay down and get ****ed and they get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to do it....

Meanwhile the guy who owns the place....he just gets a cut. He had to buy the complex, put millions into fixing it up, he keeps it in public eye, he pays to advertise, he got them a deal with HBO for more publicity. Hes gotta cover crazy health benefits and pay bills and keep these hoes in AC and smelling nice. He provides all sorts of shit.

But they get the major money. And you know why?

Hes SELLING them. You cant make million selling something self aware without it getting paid...heavily. It doesnt matter how much he spent to give them the great conditions they work in. He spent it...because he wanted them to come work in it. He needs them to bring in customers. They make HIM the money.

They could always walk. ***** sells on the street or in the Bunny Ranch. But they dont walk because it doesnt sell for thousands....and a pimp doesnt answer to the law or theh ealth department. Same for the NBA. They arent gonna walk away from millions and being treated like gods just because basketball talent on their level sells anywhere. NBA players can make a good living...anywhere. I went to school with Shammond williams. Know some of his people. He was driving a new all black everything Benz off money he got in europe to not even be a star. And this was years after he was out of the NBA.

The players could walk...the hookers can walk...but neither gets what the current bosses offer. And they dont offer it out of the goodness of their hearts. They offer it because after many high prices accountants and lawyers looked into it...they saw that they could make money. If not yearly...they could make it when they sell the team. No more sure flip in the world than a major sports team. Coke might bring back money....

The Yankees went from 8 million to like 2 billion. And that is a lot more than inflation.

Either they do it for the sure money of selling it off....or the love of the game and wanting to see the team win. In which case the money doesnt matter.

They arent locking out players because a bunch of billionaires need the money. They are doing it because they can. Because the players/hookers wont all walk fast enough to ruin them. The players wont have the marketing machine working for them if they do. Wont be able to make the same lives elsewhere. They know it.

They can lose a season in full and not miss a thing. NBA players for the most part arent rich enough to come up 4-15 million short and not feel it.

This lockout is because a few more money hungry owners...know they can win. Its not because they need the money or their rent wont get paid. THey just...feel like getting more.

But they dont really need to get their investment money back. These guys for the most part BID to get these teams. They were bidding for the right to pay these guys millions.

It didnt get sprung on them at the last minute.

I dont buy that a single owner needs a dime from the NBA to do anything. Its just the principle....and having the power to get their way.
    I stopped reading when you brought up hookers and brothels as examples.

It really shows your lack of business sense and expertise when you could have brought a similar comparison but you chose hookers and brothels.

Banned

athletes shouldn't be earning this much

Quote Originally Posted by TheLogo
    I stopped reading when you brought up hookers and brothels as examples.

It really shows your lack of business sense and expertise when you could have brought a similar comparison but you chose hookers and brothels.

Lack of "business sense and expertise"? Please. If you dont see any similarities its because you choose no to.

And just so you know...just saying "your lack of business sense and expertise" makes you sound like someone who knows nothing but wants to sound like he does. Im not pretending I know the ins and outs. But we are talking the broadstrokes and general principles involved. This isnt a discussion of advanced economic theory. Lets not try to make it something it isnt.

Damn, of they cut his salary he goes from being a multimillionaire to being a...

...multimillionaire?

LoLwut? U just outlined all the responsibilities and financial gambles that come with owning a team, but u think the owners are locking out just for the amusement that comes with being able to??

A lot of teams ARENT doing well financially. Owners are allowed to try to change that. What happes if YOU feel underpaid? U either ask for a raise, apply for a promotion, work somewhere else etc. You take action on your own behalf. If owners think the work and money that goes into owning a team isnt paying off well enough, they can make moves. If the labor doesnt like the moves, they can maketheir own moves. Thats the market, thats business.
    There is no real financial gamble with owning a team. The league wont approve anyone without the money and resources to keep up payroll and if they did...they would just take over the team like they did the Hornets and give the owner his hundreds of millions to leave. There is no gamble like a small business owner going all in. You dont run it into the ground then go live with your parents.

But for the record...I didnt say its wrong for billionaires to want more. I just said thats whats happening. I respect the hustle of a self made billionaire. Ive always lived by the Mr.Burns motto. "I have all the money in the world...and id give it all up for a little more".

I have people who depend on me and id love to be able to provide for them and future generations. Greed isnt just.....evil to me.

So im not calling it wrong for a guy with 18 billion to lock out a guy for making too much money when the billionaire can gain or lose 10 times the guys salary in 5 minutes.

But im not gonna call it a struggle for the survival of his business either. ITs not happening because it must. Its happening because they feel like it.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by FourthTenor
    Blah blah blah. I'm a douchebag.
    Of course the owners are allowed to change the business if the business is doing bad. No one is arguing against that. The players have even agreed to some concessions. What's up for debate is how much it will be changed, and that will be determined through negotiation in the CBA.

What the owners are not allowed to do is just make up all their own rules according to their wishes.