Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    7-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Patrick Ewing vs David Robinson

Quote Originally Posted by meh
    Personally, I'd go with DRob.

I say this based on the fact if we took out their performances against Hakeem and the Rockets in the mid-90s, I don't think this is even a discussion. But Robinson got slapped around like a little girl by Hakeem after getting his MVP trophy, and he never got past the whole "soft" label that would pretty much haunt him forever.

To me, one series, no matter how badly it went, cannot really define a player's career. And without that series, Robinson really does win by a solid margin simply based on his career performances.
    It wasn't just one series. He got knocked out in the 1st round in 1994 while averaging just 20/10 on 41% shooting and in 1996, he got knocked out in the 2nd round while averaging just 19/9 on 47% shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Th3ShowMVP
    The only time Ewing made an All-NBA first team was in 1990 and he made it simply because he played in NY.
    Uh, no, he made it because he was the best center in the league. He averaged 29/11/4 and those 11 rebounds came while sharing rebounds with prime Charles Oakley, in 21 game swithout Oakley he averaged 30/12/3 on 56% shooting.

Go watch some games of Ewing in 1990. He was much better than the slower, older version I grew up watching in the mid 90's. He was quick, didn't settle for many long jumpers, he was mobile and he could run the floor very well. Plus, for some reason, his passing seemed better, perhaps because his quicker moves made him tougher to double.

Tell me when Robinson has ever done anything like this in the playoffs.

Down 0-2 and facing elimination vs the Celtics, this is what Ewing did.

Game 3- 33 points and 19 rebounds, he also had 12 points in the 4th quarter
    Game 4- 44 points, 13 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 blocks and 7 steals on 18/24 shooting
    Game 5- 31 points, 8 rebounds, 10 assists and 4 blocks.

Then for good measure in those same playoffs, Ewing threw in 45/13/6/3 on 14/24 shooting vs the Bad Boy Pistons. He had 16 points in the 4th quarter on 5/7 from the field and 6/6 from the line.

The only time Ewing made an All-NBA first team was in 1990 and he made it simply because he played in NY.
    You're one of these kids who never grew up and watch NBA in the 80s and 90s and based your opinions on stats and youtube videos. Obviously you do not know that NY runs a grind out offense, which attributes to Ewing's lower stats to Robinson's. Even Avery Johnson stated that he cannot trust David to lead them in the playoffs during the huddle. There is not one ex-Knicks player talks bad about Ewing when they left the team. Starks, Harper, Greg Anthony, Doc Rivers, Xavier McDaniels, all complimented and were blessed to played with Ewing during their runs. Even the vocal Oakley, never say any bad stuff about Ewing.
    Last edited by redhonda76; 07-25-2010 at 09:34 PM.

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    It wasn't just one series. He got knocked out in the 1st round in 1994 while averaging just 20/10 on 41% shooting and in 1996, he got knocked out in the 2nd round whileee averaging just 19/9 on 47% shooting.

Uh, no, he made it because he was the best center in the league. He averaged 29/11/4 and those 11 rebounsds came while sharing rebounds with prime Charles Oakley, in 21 game swithout Oakley he averaged 30/12/3 on 56% shooting.

Go watch some games of Ewing in 1990. He was much better than the slower, older version I grew up watching in the mid 90's. He was quick, didn't settle for many long jumpers, he was mobile and he could run the floor very well. Plus, for some reason, his passing seemed better, perhaps because his quicker moves made him tougher to double.

Tell me when Robinson has ever done anything like this in the playoffs.

Down 0-2 and facing elimination vs the Celtics, this is what Ewing did.

Game 3- 33 points and 19 rebounds, he also had 12 points in the 4th quarter
    Game 4- 44 points, 13 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 blocks and 7 steals on 18/24 shooting
    Game 5- 31 points, 8 rebounds, 10 assists and 4 blocks.

Then for good measure in those same playoffs, Ewing threw in 45/13/6/3 on 14/24 shooting vs the Bad Boy Pistons. He had 16 points in the 4th quarter on 5/7 from the field and 6/6 from the line.
    Oh, no, he had monster games against a 37 year old Chief and his even slower back up joe Kleine.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
    Its Ewing, though Robinson was more talented physically.

If you were to ask the players in that era, they would probably laugh at the question. Robinson was not respected the way Ewing was, especially in the post-season.
    I think that is a pretty ridiculous assessment. Even if the players picked Ewing ahead of Robinson, (doubtful) it wouldnt be a laughable event.

Give Robinson some respect.

they are 2 great players, i love watchin the knicks and the spurs in 90-95.
    they have had great duels , and have put some of the best stats line i've ever seen. they are both top 10 centers of all time.

i don't like how shaqattack argue cause you don't talk about when ewing was clearly absent of some important games in playoffs and forget the best games of Robinson in the playoffs as in his rookie year. do you remember this fantastic series against the finalists in 90?
    it's difficult to compare their playoffs as the spurs met toughest teams in the 90's (western conf was like a lottery with all those great teams : sonics, jazz, spurs, rockets, suns) and the knicks went to the finals with only one big team the pacers in 94, and use to lose against the bulls

Ewing and robinson was used in different ways by the coach, Riley was very good but i think the spurs would be better if Brown had stayed as the coach. seriously, Lucas and Hill sucked.
    Ewing was allowed to take 20 shots per game even if NY play tough defense with less points. on the other hand, robinson took less shot whereas his team needed more points from him at some times.

i remember that Robinson gave 35 more wins when he came into the league. (i can only Bird at the moment who has done has well) He
    was always named in the first of second all nba team and all nba defensive team and use to beat shaq in their confrontations meanwhile ewing was a bit humiliated by shaq sometimes, letting him average 40pts.

but the 2 were so great, and deserved completely their selection in the dream team, the best team ever.
    Last edited by necya; 07-27-2010 at 12:16 PM.

Banned

[QUOTE=ShaqAttack3234]

Uh, no, he made it because he was the best center in the league./QUOTE]
    Never was, never will be. Just like Dwight Howard.

Banned

Uh, no, he made it because he was the best center in the league.

Dwight >>> Yao

*Awaiting RocketsGreatness to go on rage*

7-time NBA All-Star

If Dwight wasn't the best center the last 2 years, then who was?

Yao didn't even play last year and in 2009? Dwight won more games and destroyed Yao statistically while making it to the finals.

And who was better than Ewing in 1990? Obviously I mean best center, not best player overall.

Regular Season
    Patrick Ewing- 28.6 ppg, 10.9 rpg, 2.2 apg, 4 bpg, 1 spg, 3.4 TO, 55.1 FG%, 77.5 FT%, 45 wins
    David Robinson- 24.3 ppg, 12 rpg, 2 apg, 3.9 bpg, 1.7 spg, 3.1 TO, 53.1 FG%, 73.2 FT%, 56 wins
    Hakeem Olajuwon- 24.3 ppg, 14 rpg, 2.9 apg, 4.6 bpg, 2.1 spg, 3.9 TO, 50.1 FG%, 71.3 FT%, 41 wins

Robinson won more games, but he had Terry Cummings who averaged 22/8/3 on 48% shooting and Willie Anderson who averaged 16/4/4 on 49% shooting as well as better PG, he had Mo Cheeks who became NY's starting PG in the playoffs, but Robinson had him for 50 games and for the final 31 games, he had Rod Strickland who had been on NY's bench, but produced as a starter(14/4/8 for the Spurs)

Olajuwon won fewer games than Ewing with atleast a comparable cast, if not a better cast. He had Otis Thorpe(17/9/3, 55 FG%), Mitchell Wiggins(15/4/2, 49 FG%), Buck Johnson(15/5/3, 50 FG%) and Sleepy Floyd(12/2/7, 45 FG%).

Ewing's cast was Charles Oakley(15/12/2, 52 FG%), but Oakley missed 21 games, however the team was 36-25 with Oakley and after that? He basically had Gerald Wilkins during the season(15/4/4). Mark Jackson who was the Knicks starting PG was so bad that season that he was booed at Madison Square Garden and he was benched for the final 13 games of the season and the playoffs.

He was superior offensively to either, he scored about 4-5 more ppg and maintained superior efficiency. Blocks and assists were about equal to Robinson, and though he averaged 1 less rebound, he shared rebounds with a prime Charles Oakley. Here are Ewing's numbers in 21 games without Oakley.

29.8 ppg, 12.3 rpg, 2 apg, 3.3 bpg, 1.1 spg, 3.2 TO, 56.1 FG%

Playoffs
    Patrick Ewing- 29.4 ppg, 10.5 rpg, 3.1 apg, 2 bpg, 1.3 spg, 2.7 TO, 52.1 FG%, 82.3 FT%, 10 games
    David Robinson- 24.3 ppg, 12 rpg, 2.3 apg, 4 bpg, 1.1 spg, 2.4 TO, 53.3 FG%, 67.7 FT%, 10 games
    Hakeem Olajuwon- 18.5 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 2 apg, 5.8 bpg, 2.5 spg, 2.8 TO, 44.3 FG%, 70.6 FT%, 4 games

Ewing was clearly the best center in the league that year.

Banned

If Dwight wasn't the best center the last 2 years, then who was?

Yao didn't even play last year and in 2009? Dwight won more games and destroyed Yao statistically while making it to the finals.

And who was better than Ewing in 1990? Obviously I mean best center, not best player overall.

Regular Season
    Patrick Ewing- 28.6 ppg, 10.9 rpg, 2.2 apg, 4 bpg, 1 spg, 3.4 TO, 55.1 FG%, 77.5 FT%, 45 wins
    David Robinson- 24.3 ppg, 12 rpg, 2 apg, 3.9 bpg, 1.7 spg, 3.1 TO, 53.1 FG%, 73.2 FT%, 56 wins
    Hakeem Olajuwon- 24.3 ppg, 14 rpg, 2.9 apg, 4.6 bpg, 2.1 spg, 3.9 TO, 50.1 FG%, 71.3 FT%, 41 wins

Robinson won more games, but he had Terry Cummings who averaged 22/8/3 on 48% shooting and Willie Anderson who averaged 16/4/4 on 49% shooting as well as better PG, he had Mo Cheeks who became NY's starting PG in the playoffs, but Robinson had him for 50 games and for the final 31 games, he had Rod Strickland who had been on NY's bench, but produced as a starter(14/4/8 for the Spurs)

Olajuwon won fewer games than Ewing with atleast a comparable cast, if not a better cast. He had Otis Thorpe(17/9/3, 55 FG%), Mitchell Wiggins(15/4/2, 49 FG%), Buck Johnson(15/5/3, 50 FG%) and Sleepy Floyd(12/2/7, 45 FG%).

Ewing's cast was Charles Oakley(15/12/2, 52 FG%), but Oakley missed 21 games, however the team was 36-25 with Oakley and after that? He basically had Gerald Wilkins during the season(15/4/4). Mark Jackson who was the Knicks starting PG was so bad that season that he was booed at Madison Square Garden and he was benched for the final 13 games of the season and the playoffs.

He was superior offensively to either, he scored about 4-5 more ppg and maintained superior efficiency. Blocks and assists were about equal to Robinson, and though he averaged 1 less rebound, he shared rebounds with a prime Charles Oakley. Here are Ewing's numbers in 21 games without Oakley.

29.8 ppg, 12.3 rpg, 2 apg, 3.3 bpg, 1.1 spg, 3.2 TO, 56.1 FG%

Playoffs
    Patrick Ewing- 29.4 ppg, 10.5 rpg, 3.1 apg, 2 bpg, 1.3 spg, 2.7 TO, 52.1 FG%, 82.3 FT%, 10 games
    David Robinson- 24.3 ppg, 12 rpg, 2.3 apg, 4 bpg, 1.1 spg, 2.4 TO, 53.3 FG%, 67.7 FT%, 10 games
    Hakeem Olajuwon- 18.5 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 2 apg, 5.8 bpg, 2.5 spg, 2.8 TO, 44.3 FG%, 70.6 FT%, 4 games

Ewing was clearly the best center in the league that year.
    Yao has been, even while being injured. And Robinson and Hakeem have always and will always be better than Ewing. Always. Always,.

7-time NBA All-Star

Yao has been, even while being injured. And Robinson and Hakeem have always and will always be better than Ewing. Always. Always,.
    How the hell was Yao better than Dwight last season? He didn't play a game!!

And if Yao was better than dwight in 2009, why did Dwight win DPOY, finish much higher in MVP voting(4th compared to 12th), why did Dwight average more points, rebounds and blocks while shooting a higher percentage in both the regular season and playoffs?

And how exactly were Robinson and Olajuwon better than Ewing in 1990?

Banned

How the hell was Yao better than Dwight last season? He didn't play a game!!

And if Yao was better than dwight in 2009, why did Dwight win DPOY, finish much higher in MVP voting(4th compared to 12th), why did Dwight average more points, rebounds and blocks while shooting a higher percentage in both the regular season and playoffs?

And how exactly were Robinson and Olajuwon better than Ewing in 1990?
    The same way Yao Ming was better than Dwight Howard his entire career.

7-time NBA All-Star

The same way Yao Ming was better than Dwight Howard his entire career.
    In other words, you're wrong and have no argument.

Banned

In other words, you're right and have an argument.
    agreed.

7-time NBA All-Star

agreed.
    I think you editing my post shows about how much of an argument you have left. Thank you for making my point.

Good High School Starter