Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 61314151617181926 ... LastLast

Default Re: Official UCLA Bruins Thread:

EUGENE, Ore. (AP)—Darren Collison scored 22 points and Josh Shipp added a season-high 17 as No. 12 UCLA held off Oregon’s second-half rally for an 83-74 victory on Sunday.

Tajuan Porter scored 24 points for the Ducks (6-8, 0-2 Pac-10), including 15 in the second half as Oregon pulled within three points after trailing by 11 at halftime.

But Collison and Shipp helped UCLA (12-2, 2-0) keep its lead.
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...d=200901040449

83-74 Bruins victory. Collison had another great game, had 9 assists to go with his 22 points and was effecient! 6-9 from the field, 1-2 behind the arc and 9-9 from the line! Shipp himself went 5-6 from the field, all of which was behind the arc.

With USC coming up next, the Bruins should take a blow out win considering the Trojans got beat by the Beavers.

Congrats to Collison as well
    PG Darren Collison has made a school record 40 straight free throws, breaking the 1972 mark of Henry Bibby, who had 36 straight. Collison was 9 for 9 from the free throw line.

Sunday will be an epic asswhuping over the Trojans!

Some news/notes/quotes:

UCLA coach Ben Howland was asked if the UCLA-USC rivalry was developing into a Duke-North Carolina rivalry of the west.
    "We don't need to compare ourselves to North Carolina and Duke,'' Howland said. "We're USC and UCLA. It already is a great rivalry.
    “I think we have a lot more chemistry that we’ve had in the last three or four years. We have a lot better shooters, we’ve got way better passers than last year. This team seems to be clicking.”—Senior point guard Darren Collison on the Bruins’ development.
    In Focus: City bragging rights are on the line when the Bruins visit the Trojans. UCLA won two of three vs. USC last season and has beaten its rival at the Galen Center the past two years. But USC will be smarting after an overtime loss at Oregon State. The game is the first matchup of highly regarded freshmen Jrue Holiday of UCLA and DeMar DeRozan of the Trojans.

Roster Report:

• Senior point guard Darren Collison hasn’t missed a free throw since the Bruins’ season opener back on Nov. 12. He’s 41-for-42 for the year and has made a school-record 40 in a row.

• Freshman guard Malcolm Lee told the Los Angeles his injured left knee is feeling better and he hopes to play against USC.

• Freshman forward Drew Gordon had his best game to date at Oregon State, contributing 11 points in 16 minutes off the bench.

The women's basketball team led 58-55 before UCLA went on a 17-2 run that put the game away.
    http://insidesocal.com/usc/archives/...87-usc-75.html

The Lady Bruins took care of business, winning by 12, now, its time for Collison, Shipp, Aboya to ROLL on in the Galen Center

64-60 victory . 3-0 at Galen Center, and 3-0 in conference now.

D$ was huge, but we couldn't rebound for [COLOR="#000000"]shi[/COLOR]t in the first half, and not having a post presence on the offensive end will cost us in the NCAA Tournament.

Forgot to update this

Since I last posted, UCLA 4-2 with losses @ Washington and versus, then, #16 Arizona State. Swept the Nor Cal schools as well.

Big game tonight hosting the Trojans, who are 15-6 and 6-3 in the conference. A Trojan win will put them in a tie for 2nd place with the Bruins, so its a huge game, not just due to the rivalry, but due to the implications on the conference standings. Not to mention, USC is currently up 25-20 in the Lexus Gauntlet and this game is worth 5 Gauntlet points. Go Bruins!

So yeah, Bruins whupped the Trojans 76-60, score was not as close as it shows.

Local High School Star UCLAlegend32's Avatar

how bout them bruins

yeahhhhhhhhh we're playing great. i think we're going to asu soon to play at the desert (?) so that'll be a good game. and lol@romeo playing in the USC game. gotta love the student section chanting "bow wow's better!" ahahaa

Quote Originally Posted by Posterize246
    Nice.

I thought about print, but jobs are getting so scarce for it. Online is supposedly the future of journalism. And yeah 'Cuse is tops in the nation. If you can get in, congrats. Bob Costas, Marv Albert, and Mike Tirico all came from 'Cuse. Price was just too much for my taste, and wanted to stay home. Not sure if I would have got in either, but didn't apply so I guess I'll never know
    Times have changed...

I'm switching my major.

Boy, did the Bruins get whipped in the tourney way back when.

Didn't sting as bad with the near upset that my local college squad (CSUN) nearly pulled. Anyways, I'm stoked about the incoming recruiting class, and hoping that Jrue Holiday pulls out the draft (don't think he has singed with an agent yet?).

Ty Honeycutt and Reeves Nelson going to have big roles next year, along with Mike Stover and the hopefull growth from Malcolm Lee, Drew Gordon, Jerime Anderson, J'Mison BoBo Morgan.

Local High School Star UCLAlegend32's Avatar

gonna be a fun team to watch hopefully Jrue comes back to the squad

Learning to shoot layups Terp in LA's Avatar

UCLA recently unveiled plans for the Pauley Pavilion renovation:

http://www.campaignofchampions.com/

Go Bruins.

As I reported in today's paper, it was announced today UCLA will play Mississippi State in the Wooden Classic in Anaheim this season.
    Also, I was told today the Bruins have Pepperdine on the non-conference slate, as well as Kansas and Notre Dame.
    http://insidesocal.com/ucla/2009/06/...epperdine.html

UCLA is going to play Mississippi State in the Wooden Classic on Dec. 12 at the Honda Center in Anaheim. An announcement could come in the next few days.
    Yes, that is the same Mississippi State Renardo Sidney plans to attend.
    http://insidesocal.com/ucla/2009/06/...he-wooden.html

It'll be fun to see Bobo have an early test against Sidney

Forgot to mention this last week but when I was at UCLA's advanced skills hoops camp, Bruins center Drew Gordon was there. He was resting his injured knee, but the pain wasn't that great since I did see him dunk the ball.
    http://insidesocal.com/ucla/2009/07/...ns-health.html

Seems like it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.