Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Tom Donaghy is the crooked ref

Quote Originally Posted by -primetime-
    there were like 2 or 3 horrible calls that effected that outcomeof that game wasn't there?

yeah...that game was really bad, I don't remember seeing anything that bad before in football.
    yeah probably, i didn't watch the game as I was home in Minnesota... but yes that had to have been the worst in terms of college football

Local High School Star

Football is hard to fix but if you know what to call, you can do it.

See the Seattle vs Pitt SB. EVERY stinkin time Seattle moved the ball, holding call was made. Holding is something is so subjective that if a ref really wanted to, he could call it every time. He just called it every time when the Seahawks moved the ball. Coincidence?

All Sports are probably tainted anyway. Although I think it'd be tough to fix Golf. Tennis maybe you can fix with shady line calling but that's hard to fix too. The mainstream sports such as NHL, NBA, NFL, College Sports (VERY easy to do so), and to a lesser extent maybe the MLB, it can be done.

Local High School Star

I think Donaghy being the ref Sheed got involved with after the game might mean something. Maybe Sheed knew something?

Made that high school varsity squad ReturnOfJimi's Avatar

I think Donaghy being the ref Sheed got involved with after the game might mean something. Maybe Sheed knew something?
    All three refs played hard.

Good High School Starter WuTangWizard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    apparently.

if people think the games are fixed they won't watch. If they don't watch, what is the nba? and people already think games are fixed even before this.

why is this hard to understand?
    You guys are idiots. Because one ref has a gambling problem and took his problems to the court translates into the game being fixed? I agree that it's a serious issue, but it's only one guy and it won't have too much of a negative effect on the sport going forward.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WuTangWizard
    You guys are idiots. Because one ref has a gambling problem and took his problems to the court translates into the game being fixed? I agree that it's a serious issue, but it's only one guy and it won't have too much of a negative effect on the sport going forward.
    the fact that it went undiscovered by the league is worrying. no guarantees that this is the only guy who fixed games. matter of fact I'd bet he wasn't.

Local High School Star

No outcome in profession sports should be decided by people who are there to whistle contact and calls. the role of the referees in the NBA has been magnified so much for the past few years...

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by final.wrath
    the fact that it went undiscovered by the league is worrying. no guarantees that this is the only guy who fixed games. matter of fact I'd bet he wasn't.
    as close as the refs are watched not only by the NBA but by vegas odds makers themselves for inconsistencies the things he called could not have been to blatant..

on the radio tonight they had a former FBI agent who said he belived that the intial investigation was probably directed at another party outside of basketball and they stumbled across this ref that way...

Banned

this isnt some small "get over it" matter
    this is HUGE, when i found out i was SHOCKED
    never would of thought of Tim Donaghy
    totally slipped my mind when i tried to think who
    just like Chris Sheridan said as well
    just never wouldve guessed

Are you naive enough to think that this is only one guy. I think this is simply the tip of the iceberg here.

This could be the end of Stern.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PejaNowitzki
    Are you naive enough to think that this is only one guy. I think this is simply the tip of the iceberg here.
    i agree
    i say wait and see
    wouldnt be very smart just to think that this Donaghy is the beginning and end of it all

Learning to shoot layups

The upcoming season and what will follow after this incident will be very interesting to see (at least for me a little bit). I think no matter what Stern or the NBA does, the integrity of the game will never be the same. To those that don't care as much, alright, but to those who think this is a mere small issue where firing a referee (or referees) will solve this whole entire thing, you're entirely wrong. Even I'm wondering if he coached in any of the games I've watched like the Kings and Lakers WCF, the Heat and Mavs Finals and recently the Spurs and Suns series (Thank God he only did like one game in the Spurs and Sun series but still, it's significant).

Now the conspiracy theories will begin, and we'll all have to watch in delight, or disappointed, how huge or catastrophic this will truly turn out to be. I wonder how much the NBA will suffer this upcoming year. If Tim Donaghy was involved in games where like some have already said were getting-into-playoff-deciding games, I'll be incredibly mad if that's why the Warriors might not have made it the previous year. Perhaps Tim Donaghy didn't do so and so during games and actually officiated a 'clean' game, but there's always the lingering thought of what-ifs.

(I still thought the technical foul at the Warrior's home floor [was it there?] against the Wizards was incredibly dumb and one example I'd definitely use on how much control refs have on a game)

Retired ISH Legend

I know we'd all love to think that, but the matter of the fact is that when you catch one cockroach, there's bound to be a million more.

This sucks. It actually makes me sick to my stomach. I'm not the biggest baseball fan so the steroid scandal didnt affect me too much but this hits close to home. David Stern has coddled refs way too long and he finally got what he deserved and what fans didnt deserve.

The first game I thought of when this first came out was game 3 of the Suns vs Spurs series and I wasn't surprised that Tim reffed that game. Everything about it was suspicious but I wont jump to conclusions till more information is released. I just hope to god no big games were affected.