View Poll Results: Which would you pick?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Watch the NBA but can never play the game yourself?

10 55.56%
  • Play the game yourself but can never watch the NBA?

8 44.44%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Pick One: Play the game but can't watch NBA or watch NBA but can't play the game.

All the people picking play would regret it in their 60s and 70s (and upwards). I love playing ball, it's my favorite thing, but I need something to watch when I'm older.

Default Re: Pick One: Play the game but can't watch NBA or watch NBA but can't play the game.

Am I getting paid like an NBA Player? How can anyone pick anything else? it's not like the NBA is some fantastic product right now. Unless you were to tell me the Knicks will win the Finals one day... than give me playing in the NBA and getting paid that I can make last the rest of my life.

Getting paid or watching the Knicks, a team that does nothing but give me heartache for the rest of my life? OK

Watching NBA because you can always play football (what ignorant Americans call soccer)

College superstar brooks_thompson's Avatar

It

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    I'm the complete opposite. Playing the game is one of the pure loves of my life, I would be hurting big time if I can't play the game. It's always been sort of a refuge for me too. Ball if Life for me.
    Yep, without ball I get depressed and fat. Easily give up watching

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    Play. Nothing on this planet has ever brought me the same levels of joy to do. Unfortunately.
    *coaching

Quote Originally Posted by LAmbruh
    3) Neither but able to follow box scores
    Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    Makes sense coming from you babyboi.

Typical Brannies

Quote Originally Posted by LAmbruh
    3) Neither but able to follow box scores
    We all know that's how you follow the game.

I could do without both if needed, but I'd find it much harder to give up my TV—which I virtually only use to watch sports nowadays—than the dust-collecting basketball in my garage.

I loved playing it in high school—I eked out a slot on the varsity roster as a senior and played multiple years of AAU prior—but I never deluded myself that I had any future in the sport. I've found a much more realistically gainful career and hobbies since, and I've had no problem foregoing the game to spend more time burnishing those.

I've never been able to put my blinders on to NBA games, however, whether I've had time to watch them immersively or sift through the replays later (only drawback of working second shift for me; you miss out on prime-time events). It inspires me to see others excel on any platform (while I'm mindful not to live vicariously), and the NBA has been among the most entertaining ones for me (aside from the Golden Medal Warriors dynasty).

Unlike most other avocations—which you can flourish at until you're senile—playing sports is too somatogenic: Father Time thwarts you relatively early no matter how mentally dedicated you are, and He'll ultimately leave you ruminating about the worthwhileness of the time. Maybe the playership memories alone will be worth it to many others, but I'm personally looking for a much more durable upside with all I invest my prime years into.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    Play. Nothing on this planet has ever brought me the same levels of joy to do. Unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive
    Playing. Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    I prol couldn't run 5s (since like 6 years ago) and might even get sauced by a 13 year old if it was a game to 15. haha, but I still choose playing.

For some reason, my health has gone to shit even tho I'm not old. I don't really have any bodily problems, maybe a bit of sore joints from overuse, but swimming, shooting around, and walking are the only forms of exercise I can do for long periods, and shooting around is the best. No matter how ass I feel or if I'm in pain w/e, I enjoy shooting around, so it's kind of essential to my life. Exercise is important no matter how shit you feel.

Plus the NBA is pretty trash. Even when I loved the NBA I wouldn't have chosen to not play bball. As an angsty kid before drugs (gonads n strife), bball was my release. Now it's the same thing, can clear your head no matter what happens. Even if it's just me and the hoop.

-Smak

[QUOTE=brooks_thompson]It

Quote Originally Posted by HylianNightmare
    Yep, without ball I get depressed and fat. Easily give up watching

NBA rookie of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

Play.

I rarely watch nowadays anyways

Keeping up with the NBA without watching is pretty easy anyways. Been doing it for a few years now honestly.