Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2007, 07:47 PM   #76
chopchop20
National High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,854
Default Re: Why did Coach pick Mike Miller over Durant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Team USA wanted a 3pt shooter...they got one who came off a season where he shot 40%3pt. Experience and a polished game overruled. Team USA doesnt need the unlimited range scorer who can score in more ways than one. WTF you think Kobe, Lebron, Carmelo are for? You're building a team and trying to patch up weaknesses. One was 3pt shooting, they got that with Redd & Miller. Miller only played 16mpg anyway and was brought in situations only. Like a 3rd down pash rusher. You're not gonna see much snaps as opposed to the guys you're playing behind.

Snce you wanna claim people in this thread cant comprehend the difference amongst things. Address these questions you dodged.

Explain what an interior defender is to the board.
Explain how Durant would be an interior defender in the NBA and recent international play.
Explain how Durant was not an interior defender in summer league.
Explain the difference between college players he faced vs the players he will face.
Explain Tayshaun Prince on defense to the board.


Afterall you highlighted he was a low post scorer and interior defender. Now you're picking n choosing when you log in, log out and quote things. Funny. Now you're down to Mike Miller shooting vs Kevin Durant shooting.

Unlike you school boy, some people actually work for a livng and don't have time to stay on ISH all day. Anyways, you seem to miss the point entirely.

Miller is a shooter who needs to be surrounded by other scorers to be effective. He's not gonna create the dribble and he's not gonna take it to the rack. He needs players to kick the ball out to him. As opposed to the superior talent of Durant who can create shots and cause mismatches because of his length.
chopchop20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 07:58 PM   #77
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1
 
AppleNader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,131
Default Re: Why did Coach pick Mike Miller over Durant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop20
Miller is a shooter who needs to be surrounded by other scorers to be effective. He's not gonna create the dribble and he's not gonna take it to the rack. He needs players to kick the ball out to him. As opposed to the superior talent of Durant who can create shots and cause mismatches because of his length.

It's not often you see this kind of idiocy.

Who was Miller surrounded by? Last time I checked, Lebron/Melo/Bryant were all scorers and Kidd/Billups/Williams were all fantastic point guards delivering him the ball. Miller did his job of hitting threes, spreading the floor, and adjusted to coming off the bench extremely easily.

Why the f&ck would we take Durant, who is even more redundant given the fact that we have PLENTY of pure scorers on this team, and in addition does not bring any of the intangibles that Miller brough?

AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:07 PM   #78
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est
 
ErhnamDjinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lurking in Dominaria
Posts: 2,656
Default Re: Why did Coach pick Mike Miller over Durant?

why cant this guy see that miller was chosen because of the role he could play for team USA. He like Nick Collison are glue guy's, people who come of the bench who assist the main guys of the team Durant if picked would be a main option which the US team has plenty of already hence Durant was left of the team.
ErhnamDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:12 PM   #79
dgbigballer9329
I rule the local playground
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 533
Default Re: Why did Coach pick Mike Miller over Durant?

Quote:
Wow. DG's post about Durant was so biased I don't even want to waste my time refuting it.

You can't refute it because you'd be wrong. I even admitted that Miller was a better fit for Team USA, at least for this year. If I were biased, I'd say that Durant should have been taken over him.

What I've said all along is that Durant is a better player than Mike Miller. Which he flat out is. Mike Miller's strength is shooting, and he is only SLIGHTLY better than Durant at that, if at all. But Durant is ahead of him as an overall offensive player. And he's a better defensive player (not a great one, but actually CONTRIBUTES with rebounds, steals, blocks). So if he's a better offensive and defensive player, he's a better player.
dgbigballer9329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:13 PM   #80
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater
 
XxNeXuSxX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UConn
Posts: 7,426
Default Re: Why did Coach pick Mike Miller over Durant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbigballer9329

What I've said all along is that Durant is a better player than Mike Miller. Which he flat out is. Mike Miller's strength is shooting, and he is only SLIGHTLY better than Durant at that, if at all.

Miller is a much better shooter than Durant, how can you say this doesn't sound biased?
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:20 PM   #81
dgbigballer9329
I rule the local playground
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 533
Default Re: Why did Coach pick Mike Miller over Durant?

It doesn't. He may be better, but it's not by that much. Seriously.........Mike Miller is not a much better shooter than Durant. Shooting is Kevin Durant's STRENGTH. In fact it's almost always the first thing said about him -- great shooter, unlimited range. Mike Miller is a great shooter too, but he's not lights out to the point that he's much better than another great shooter in Durant. The better question is how can you say it DOES sound biased?
dgbigballer9329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:25 PM   #82
dgbigballer9329
I rule the local playground
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 533
Default Re: Why did Coach pick Mike Miller over Durant?

I mean, ask yourself this: Seems most people don't think he has too much of a post game. So how was he scoring TWENTY-SIX points per game in college?? 26!?!?! In a major conference like the Big 12?? He was simply an unstoppable offensive player, and was more of a perimeter player than a post player. He simply wouldn't have been able to put up those numbers without being an awesome shooter.
dgbigballer9329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:54 PM   #83
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?
 
johndeeregreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,009
Default Re: Why did Coach pick Mike Miller over Durant?

Shooting - Mike Miller shot roughly the same percentages, except not against kids, against NBA defenses.

Passing - Miller is much better at moving the ball and it is really not close. He's actually an above average passer for the 3 and Durant showed both in college and summer league that he struggles a lot with this facet of the game.

Defensively - Miller is not a great man defender. Few white swingmen are. However, he's positionally sound, knows where to be, and is a good team defender. Durant, on the other hand, is far to weak to guard on the interior in the NBA and is going to seriously struggle with NBA-level swingmen.

The point you bring up about rebounding, steals, blocks - IT'S COLLEGE, and, as someone already pointed out, the amount of NBA level bigs in that conference were...nil. When he puts up 11/1/2 on that end in the pros, I'll shut up. Until then, stop trying to use collegiate stats to prove who is a better player. It doesn't work that way. Durant WILL NOT just step on an NBA court and contribute these kinds of things like he did in college. If it worked that way Michael Olowokandi would've averaged over 10 a game his career.

So you're left with a guy who is unquestionably a better shooter, moves and passes the ball way more effectively, is a solid if unspectacular defender, has experience against, you know, professional basketball players... open and shut case.

Will Durant be a better player than Mike Miller? Handily. Is he already better than Mike Miller? No. You realize that if he's as good (or better) than Miller at all the things you mentioned we're looking at a 20/7/5 rookie season on ~46%/40%, right? No, of course you didn't.

It's simply stunning that you refuse to realize the difference between college and the big boy league.

Last edited by johndeeregreen : 09-03-2007 at 08:58 PM.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:55 PM   #84
chopchop20
National High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,854
Default Re: Why did Coach pick Mike Miller over Durant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbigballer9329
I mean, ask yourself this: Seems most people don't think he has too much of a post game. So how was he scoring TWENTY-SIX points per game in college?? 26!?!?! In a major conference like the Big 12?? He was simply an unstoppable offensive player, and was more of a perimeter player than a post player. He simply wouldn't have been able to put up those numbers without being an awesome shooter.

On PTI, Wilbon (who actaully attended some practices) was also puzzled by the decision. And he said that Kevin Durant was the 2nd best scorer in camp behind Kobe Bryant. I thought that the addition of Kobe, Chauncey, and Redd solidified the outside shooting. Naturally, there was no way to know that LeBron and melo would go off in the Fiba tournament.
chopchop20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:01 PM   #85
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?
 
johndeeregreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,009
Default Re: Why did Coach pick Mike Miller over Durant?

Nobody's arguing that Durant is a better scorer than Miller.

But you know what? Kobe Bryant, Anthony, James, hell, even Mike Redd are better at putting the ball in the hoop than Durant is. So... you can take a guy who seriously struggled in the notoriously-swingman friendly summer league (you know, the same one that made Kedrick Brown look like Michael Jordan) who adds scoring and...not much else, or a solid all-around player who addresses (even better than Durant), a historically chronic weakness in shooting.

See, you're just an idiot. I don't agree with DG, but he's not an idiot; he takes time to actually outline his posts and provide an argument. You just don't know what the hell you're talking about.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:35 PM   #86
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom
 
boozehound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,694
Default Re: Why did Coach pick Mike Miller over Durant?

very nice. well reasoned and substantiated posts Dear John. There should be a way to rank posters over time or acknowledge that they have contributed something more than bias and tripe (mmm, bias and tripe) to the forum
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:40 PM   #87
chopchop20
National High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,854
Default Re: Why did Coach pick Mike Miller over Durant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
Nobody's arguing that Durant is a better scorer than Miller.

But you know what? Kobe Bryant, Anthony, James, hell, even Mike Redd are better at putting the ball in the hoop than Durant is. So... you can take a guy who seriously struggled in the notoriously-swingman friendly summer league (you know, the same one that made Kedrick Brown look like Michael Jordan) who adds scoring and...not much else, or a solid all-around player who addresses (even better than Durant), a historically chronic weakness in shooting.

See, you're just an idiot. I don't agree with DG, but he's not an idiot; he takes time to actually outline his posts and provide an argument. You just don't know what the hell you're talking about.

No i just have a different point of view than you, so you resort to childish name calling.
chopchop20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:51 PM   #88
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom
 
boozehound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,694
Default Re: Why did Coach pick Mike Miller over Durant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop20
No i just have a different point of view than you, so you resort to childish name calling.
no poopypants peepeeface would've been childish name calling. Calling someone an idiot is perfectly adult name calling, especially when well-warranted.

Most everybody who responded to your OP stated that miller was chosen due to his shooting, experience, familiarity with the role of bench player, etc. not because he's a better player than durant (which is moot at this point).

You seem like the type of "fan" who would like to see basketball look like a crappy videogame, all dunks and sloppy play. There are roles in good team basketball (something lacking from the last incarnation of Team USA) and Miller fills a different role than durant. Its not about the 5 best players, its about complimentary skill sets and playing within a specified role (if we all know what we are supposed to do, then there is less chance for error, people out of position, turnovers, miscommunication, etc)
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:29 PM   #89
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?
 
johndeeregreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,009
Default Re: Why did Coach pick Mike Miller over Durant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop20
No i just have a different point of view than you, so you resort to childish name calling.
You aren't an idiot because you have a different point of view; ironically, I already outlined that, but I guess you were...too much of an idiot, I guess... to see what the difference was. As for resorting to name calling, I've made a number of fact-based posts in this thread that you refuse or are simply incapable of replying intelligently.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 12:34 AM   #90
chopchop20
National High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,854
Default Re: Why did Coach pick Mike Miller over Durant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
no poopypants peepeeface would've been childish name calling. Calling someone an idiot is perfectly adult name calling, especially when well-warranted.

Most everybody who responded to your OP stated that miller was chosen due to his shooting, experience, familiarity with the role of bench player, etc. not because he's a better player than durant (which is moot at this point).

You seem like the type of "fan" who would like to see basketball look like a crappy videogame, all dunks and sloppy play. There are roles in good team basketball (something lacking from the last incarnation of Team USA) and Miller fills a different role than durant. Its not about the 5 best players, its about complimentary skill sets and playing within a specified role (if we all know what we are supposed to do, then there is less chance for error, people out of position, turnovers, miscommunication, etc)

Remind me again why the USA decided to form the Dream Team. Was it not to get our best against their best? Why else would Melo, Bron, Kobe, and Wade be on the team.

And Mike Miller's roles is to come off the bench in a blow out. Trust me if he's in the game otherwise, the US is in trouble.
chopchop20 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:


Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:30 PM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

NBA Basketball

NBA Rumors

Basketball Blog

NBA Videos

Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy