Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Re: I can honestly name 10 players id rather start a franchise team with instead of Melo

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    The only guys on your list I'd build around over Melo are KD, Lebron, and AD. CP3 without injuries too.

This is of course considering that they're all rookies. It's kinda unfair otherwise.

Basketball Genius

Default Re: I can honestly name 10 players id rather start a franchise team with instead of Melo

melo needs the derrick rose treatment. as in he needs defensive minded roleplayers/coach that will allow him to just score and not have to put in a full effort on the defensive end so that he can just focus on getting the ball in his favorite spots.

the thing i like about melo is that he's a low maintenance superstar. he doesnt need the balls in his hands to be effective per say, and he does know how to move the ball around if he needs to and make the extra pass, and he can bail your team out if the shot-clock winds down.

if he's allowed to play his natural position of sf and do what he wants while being surrounded by players that know their role, then he'll shine. but if we're being honest then melo has never truly been in a situation where he could shine. maybe that old denver team with a.i. since they went to the wcf but a.i. isnt a true second option anyways.

but he is being criminally underrated. cant wait to see him leave new york and find a place where he his talents would be best utilized.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    What about that was facepalm-worthy?

Speaking of Anthony Davis though...

Imagine a Davis-Melo frontcourt

Maybe Melo/Anderson/Davis? He'd never go to NO but it's fun to think about.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    What about that was facepalm-worthy?
    Maybe I'm wrong and I misinterpreted the intent of the thread, but the way I understood it was choosing players as they are right now if you were starting a team right now.

Really, that is the only way this thread or his list makes any sense. If you were talking about everyone starting from scratch, guys like Kobe Bryant, KG, Steve Nash, Dwyane Wade, etc. would have to be included.

The whole point of listing so many young guys is that when you're building a team, you want youth so that you have time to build around them.

In that sense, guys like Drummond (20), AD (20), Irving (21), Curry (25) and Westbrook (25) make a lot of sense. I know that I wouldn't trade Kyrie for Melo under any circumstances and it isn't because Kyrie is so clearly better... It's because he's 21 years old.

That always plays a huge factor when you're having discussions like this one. It is arguably the most important thing of all, given a guy has sufficient talent and a high ceiling.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

only 10?

Afflalo>>>> melo

Oladipo>>>>>>>>>>melo

Real talk

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan
    tell me who is your 2nd option?

Amare with Fcukep up Knee & earning Max?
    Chandler with ZERO offensive ga& Earning 15mil?
    Bargnani earning 9mil and is NOBODY
    JR Smith??? enough said
    OR the FAT BOY Felton?

jeez come back to make a thread...when u at least a decent player on ur team

its the Owner and FO thats fcuked up...Melo is no clear cut 1 but he is a very strong 1A
    you don't get to complain about the team you FORCED A TRADE TO.

Decent college freshman MellowYellow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Maybe I'm wrong and I misinterpreted the intent of the thread, but the way I understood it was choosing players as they are right now if you were starting a team right now.

Really, that is the only way this thread or his list makes any sense. If you were talking about everyone starting from scratch, guys like Kobe Bryant, KG, Steve Nash, Dwyane Wade, etc. would have to be included.

The whole point of listing so many young guys is that when you're building a team, you want youth so that you have time to build around them.

In that sense, guys like Drummond (20), AD (20), Irving (21), Curry (25) and Westbrook (25) make a lot of sense. I know that I wouldn't trade Kyrie for Melo under any circumstances and it isn't because Kyrie is so clearly better... It's because he's 21 years old.

That always plays a huge factor when you're having discussions like this one. It is arguably the most important thing of all, given a guy has sufficient talent and a high ceiling.

but you would trade kyrie for Lebron who is basically the same age as Melo? sorry but no. You are a Melo hater, no need to sugarcoat it. You would probably take Ben Mclemore over Melo too right?

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

There are literally only 5 players on your list that I would think of picking before Melo.

Melo has never made anyone better? You want Melo to turn a bucket of shit aka JR into an All-Star? For what it's worthy, JR had his best year last year. Billups and AI worked very well alongside him as well. Maybe Melo should run with stars like Wade and Bosh so he could contend in the playoffs.

Instead he's stuck with Amare, JR, washed up Chandler, washed up Felton, and on-off Shump.

Kobe= 1st round loser secund2nun's Avatar

Why would you want to build around Melo? He is gonna demand 20+ million a year when he isn't worth it. I'd rather have a player like Noah who is getting paid a very reasonable 11 million this year rather than Melo who is getting paid 22 million. Plus Noah fits with any team while ball dominant Melo doesn't and Noah impacts all aspects of the game in a very positive manner (aside from scoring where he is average).

As of right now Melo= 20 million a year= likely first round loss team

Unless he takes a pay cut and signs for closer to what he is worth I wouldn't sign him. I'd trade him.
    Last edited by secund2nun; 02-25-2014 at 01:41 PM.

Kyrie

Kobe= 1st round loser secund2nun's Avatar

Players I'd sign over Melo to build around a team?

Lebron
    Durant
    Howard
    Davis
    Griffin
    Love
    Cousins
    Drummond
    Noah
    CP3

Aged Duncan and Dirk are still better than Melo, but because of their age obviously I can't pick them past this season.

Not sure why everyone is against picking Drummond over Melo? Drummond is averaging 13-13-2-1.3 on 60% fg as a 20 year old. Who knows how good he can be in the future and even if he doesn't progress much as a player (which it is unlikely that he has peaked as a 20 year old) you can then sign him to a decent deal unlike 22 million for Melo.

Melo suffers from the same problem Rose and Paul George do- they have a lot of hype causing them to be vastly overpaid in comparison to what they are actually worth meaning they are no longer good pieces to have on the team at that salary as opposed to players like Noah that are properly valued so they are a nice piece for a team. It is perimeter players who more often (but not always) have this overpaying based on style over substance phenomena happen to them because big men are boring for most fans.

While Melo is having an impressive regular season so far statistically (clearly his best season 28-9-3) the team is already 15 below .500 in a historically weak ECF and this is Melo's prime and probably peak as a player. That is worth 22 million a year? Also Melo averages 41.7% fg in the playoffs in the regular season (45.6% in the regular season- huge dropoff) and shot just 40% in last year's playoffs. 8 first round losses in 10 seasons...That's not the kind player you build around with a massive salary reserved for the Lebron's and Durant's of the worlds, that's the kind of player you add as a valuable piece to your team if the price is right.
    Last edited by secund2nun; 02-25-2014 at 02:02 PM.

id rather build around a old broken kobe than loser ass melo