Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    I am your soldier!

Default Re: What is the worst finals MVP performance in modern history?

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101
    Pierce no question. Didn't he have a 2 point game?
    No he didn't, he had a 6 point game in 2008.

Ray Allen had a 2 point game in game 3 2010.

KG should have been the FMVP in 2008, but Pierce was easily better than Ray. And his won wasn't that wrong.

As far as worst...I don't get that word. You can rank them and one will be lower than the rest (unless there's a tie) but this thread is really about a. Kobe and b. ripping on other players. It's also about Kobe.

In all honesty, outside of Pierce for KG and Duncan for Manu...it's been pretty accurate going back, until worthy completely robbed Magic Johnson. I mean, that was a crime.

I also think Magic should have Kareem's in 85. An I think Bird should have beaten Maxwell in 81. I was gonna say Willis Reed in 1973, but I remember that being an all-around team. No one was that impressive, to be honest. Boring series too. I think Frazier should have won in 1970...then again, it's tough. Actually, I think Jerry West was the best player on the floor in that series. Dave Cowens should have won...1976 I think it was.

What is the worst agenda thread in modern history: this one.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    No he didn't, he had a 6 point game in 2008.

Ray Allen had a 2 point game in game 3 2010.
    6 point game, that's the one I was thinking of.

Ray Allen should have had MVP that year, IMO, or KG.

I am your soldier!

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101
    Ray Allen should have had MVP that year, IMO, or KG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    KG should have been the FMVP in 2008, but Pierce was easily better than Ray. And his won wasn't that wrong.
    I just looked at the numbers and Ray was much better than I remember. Ray put up numbers, much more efficiently. The only big difference is Pierce's assists and turnovers are much higher.

Big 4 stats, finals only:

Garnett - 18.2 ppg / 13 reb / 3 ast / 1.7 stl / 1 blk / 2.7 to on 42.9 fg% / 76 ft%

Rondo - 9.3 ppg / 3.8 reb / 6.7 ast / 1.5 stl / .5 blk / 1.5 to on 37.7 fg% / 59.3 ft%

Pierce - 21.8 ppg / 4.5 reb / 6.3 ast / 1.2 stl / .3 blk / 3.7 to on 43.2 fg% / 39.3 3pt% / 83 ft%

Ray - 20.3 ppg / 5 reb / 2.5 ast / 1.3 stl / .7 blk / 1.8 to on 50.7 fg% / 52.4 3pt% / 86.7 ft%

I'd still give it to KG... Plus I think KG was the leader of the Celtics in scoring through all the playoffs that year.

I always find it amusing when people point out that Gasol should've been FMVP because Kobe went 6-24 in Game 7, yet completely ignore the fact that Gasol himself shot 6-16 from the field and 7-13 from the line in that game.

Anyway, the answer to the OP is either Pierce in '08 or Billups in '04. Can't go wrong with either.

Lol, for those who are adamant that Pau Gasol should have won that Finals MVP in 2010, am I the only one who remembers how he played when the series moved to Boston for three games?

Quote Originally Posted by Doranku
    I always find it amusing when people point out that Gasol should've been FMVP because Kobe went 6-24 in Game 7, yet completely ignore the fact that Gasol himself shot 6-16 from the field and 7-13 from the line in that game.

Anyway, the answer to the OP is either Pierce in '08 or Billups in '04. Can't go wrong with either.
    Not to mention the six other games that were played.

Good High School Starter DFish24's Avatar

Paul Pierce or Chauncey Billups

Quote Originally Posted by Ne 1
    This one is accurate.

During the Finals Jordan not only shot terribly from the field, he was absolute shit in the fourth quarters too (shot 33.3% in them, and only 15.4% in the fourth quarters of the three close games). In the two close wins of the series, Rodman averaged 11 offensive rebounds/game. He was setting records, and when MJ was shooting the team out of the game with bricks (rest of the team struggled shooting wise too though), it was Rodman getting all those rebounds to give Bulls the extra possessions. The Bulls as a team shot much lower than Sonics in that series...why do you think they still won? They got 34 more possessions from offensive rebounds (Rodman alone had 41!). MJ's scoring could have been replaced in that series, but Rodman's historic offensive rebounding? Not so much.

Rodman should have been the MVP of that Finals. The Bulls shot much worse from the field than the Sonics in the Finals but still won. How did that happen? Simple. The Bulls got more shot opportunities from offensive rebounds basically negating many of their misses. Rodman, by himself, secured and additional 41 possessions for the Bulls with his offensive rebounding including 2 games where he tied an NBA Finals record. That's like playing H-O-R-S-E and someone giving you multiple "do overs" after you've missed.

In the deciding Game 6 Jordan went 5-19 (26 FG%) while Rodman set a Finals record with 11 offensive rebounds. At the very least he was the MVP of the close out Game 6.
    This is the 3rd time you copied and pasted that same post.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=196355

http://207.58.151.151/forum/showpost...2&postcount=26

Didn't Jordan shoot 41.4% that series? Which is Kobe's career finals.

Although I think KG deserved FMVP, that doesn't mean PP had a bad finals. I'd say it's easily Kobe's '10 FMVP.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    I just looked at the numbers and Ray was much better than I remember. Ray put up numbers, much more efficiently. The only big difference is Pierce's assists and turnovers are much higher.

Big 4 stats, finals only:

Garnett - 18.2 ppg / 13 reb / 3 ast / 1.7 stl / 1 blk / 2.7 to on 42.9 fg% / 76 ft%

Rondo - 9.3 ppg / 3.8 reb / 6.7 ast / 1.5 stl / .5 blk / 1.5 to on 37.7 fg% / 59.3 ft%

Pierce - 21.8 ppg / 4.5 reb / 6.3 ast / 1.2 stl / .3 blk / 3.7 to on 43.2 fg% / 39.3 3pt% / 83 ft%

Ray - 20.3 ppg / 5 reb / 2.5 ast / 1.3 stl / .7 blk / 1.8 to on 50.7 fg% / 52.4 3pt% / 86.7 ft%

I'd still give it to KG... Plus I think KG was the leader of the Celtics in scoring through all the playoffs that year.
    With those numbers and being the true defensive anchor, I concur, KG should have won.

But still, Raygun with the 52% threes? I think his line is better than Pierce's and he didn't lay an egg in one of the games like Pierce did.

Tony parker in 07. It was the easiest path ever against a much less talented team in the Cavs.

Not saying he's a bad player.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Although I think KG deserved FMVP, that doesn't mean PP had a bad finals. I'd say it's easily Kobe's '10 FMVP.
    If you think this:

Is better than this:

Bryant - 28.6 ppg / 8.0 reb / 3.9 ast / 2.1 stl / 0.7 blk / 3.9 to on 40.5 fg% / 31.9 3pt% / 88.3 ft%

- also taking into account Kobe outrebounded everyone on the opposing team (including the opposing PF and Center), you're a fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Ne 1
    If you consider the '80s as the start of the modern era, then it's easily Cedric Maxwell and Chauncey Billups.

@ Kobe in '10. Even most people were saying that even if the Lakers had lost that series that Kobe could get the Finals MVP award ala Jerry West when he lost in the Finals, but still won MVP in '69.

Kobe limited Rondo big time. Everyone was proclaiming him the best PG in the game before that series. Other than one game, he never went off. The one game he did, Kobe was in foul trouble.

I don't think most people realize how tough it is for a guard to get 15 rebounds. Kobe came up huge in game 7. Who kept the team in perspective the whole series? Kobe and Fisher. If you pay attention to those press conferences, Kobe was sending a message to the team. Gasol mentioned this.

Kobe disrupted the most important player on the other team (Rondo). Rondo is the engine that made the Celtics run. Kobe turned him into the Little Engine that Couldn't.

The bottom line is that nobody shot well for their positions. Kobe's FG% in game 7 is the only reason this is a discussion. Regardless his overall stats are by far the best. And I said before it's based purely on numbers without the biases and agendas found on ISH. I know Kobe detractors really wanted Gasol to win it, but his numbers although good for him, aren't Kobe's.

29 PTS 8.0 REBS 5 AST 2.14 STL

I concur with everything you said. Gasol was great on that Finals but Kobe deserved it. He work hard for it as the other players did.