Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Greg Oden interested in joining HEAT

Quote Originally Posted by Owl
    Oden won't get millions, he'll get the veteran's minimum if he does sign wit the Heat.

He has only ever played for one team so the desciption of his "entire career" hardly describes what has happened so far. The Grantland Oden article suggests that team did a poor job of managing Oden's (and their own) long term interests.

I would say I wouldn't ever expect him to be a full time center. I think you'd have to manage him like Portland did with Sabonis or the Celtics with Walton. But if a team like Miami continues to have such a weak center rotation, he's probably worth a spot on the IR if/when he's close to being fit enough to play.
    He has physical issues, such as one leg being shorter than the other, which will preclude him from playing any significant role in the league.

I don't even think it would be worth it to sign him in Miami. They already have Eddy Curry sitting on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by DStebb716
    If Greg Oden's injuries wouldn't have held him back, we'd be talking about him as a VERY good 20-10 guy. I still think he could be near that if he stayed healthy.
    When had Oden showed that he could be a 20/10 player? Never.

Even when "healthy" he was an offensive liability and on defense, a foul machine.

I could see14/10, but not 20/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
    When had Oden showed that he could be a 20/10 player? Never.

Even when "healthy" he was an offensive liability and on defense, a foul machine.

I could see14/10, but not 20/10.
    When? When he was putting up that or nearly that on a few occasions after battling back from multiple injuries. He doesn't need to do it every game to show that he could do it fool. It's called potential and projection...

He had 18/8 in 25 minutes.
    24/12 in 27 minutes.
    18/11 in 26 minutes.
    And then he has a lot of games where he had 16/8 or something like that in his last year of playing.

Going back to his rookie season:
    25/15
    17/13
    18/14
    14/14
    17/12
    16/10

The dude could play.

When? When he was putting up that or nearly that on a few occasions after battling back from multiple injuries. He doesn't need to do it every game to show that he could do it fool. It's called potential and projection...

He had 18/8 in 25 minutes.
    24/12 in 27 minutes.
    18/11 in 26 minutes.
    And then he has a lot of games where he had 16/8 or something like that in his last year of playing.

Going back to his rookie season:
    25/15
    17/13
    18/14
    14/14
    17/12
    16/10

The dude could play.
    Virtually every player is capable of having some good games. After all, they are a collection of the best in the world.

However, over the course of a full season -- which he'll never play -- Oden would be much closer to 14/10 than 20/10.

Virtually every player is capable of having some good games. After all, they are a collection of the best in the world.

However, over the course of a full season -- which he'll never play -- Oden would be much closer to 14/10 than 20/10.
    I disagree. A number one overall pick who is VERY young getting multiple 20/10 or near 20/10 efforts is FAR different then some scrub 28 year old doing it. Oden was doing this before his game even fully developed. Chances are, if his game hadn't been stopped by injuries he would've done that consistently.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Offensive liability? I watched some of his games early in his last season.

He was scoring. he wasnt just taking guys one on one and showing a lot of skill...but he wasnt out there hurting the team. He had 16, 16, 24, 18, 13, 9 and 13 in the last 7 games he played. And he only played 30 minutes in one of them. And he had 13 points, 20 rebounds(11 on offense), and 4 blocks in that.

That is far from something to mock out of a guy who has barely played since high school and wasnt supposed to be a bigtime scorer to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank
    the Heat have an excellent world class medical staff.

Wade continuing to play on his bad knee

Haslem coming back 6 months earlier than normal for the 2011 playoffs, etc

It's well known that the Heat have a world class medical staff to anyone who actually follows the team and team news. Arison brought in the best
    What's the proper procedure for dealing with cramps? Just curious..

I disagree. A number one overall pick who is VERY young getting multiple 20/10 or near 20/10 efforts is FAR different then some scrub 28 year old doing it. Oden was doing this before his game even fully developed. Chances are, if his game hadn't been stopped by injuries he would've done that consistently.
    I like to live in the real world, not some fantasy "could have been" existence.

There were all sorts of red flags before the draft that Oden's physical difficulties would prevent him from having a normal career, and they turned out to be right.

Its useless to speculate on what would have been accomplished had he truly been healthy, because his history has shown that simply wasn't ever possible.

i personally think Greg oden once back will be one of the top 10 centers in the league if he can stay healthy (LOL) kind of an example is bynum he was always injured but had the talent now look . on my impressions of greg oden in his rookie year his numbers were pretty good and his style of play is like a true center something rare in todays era.. if he can come back and stay healthy (LOOL) and get good minutes i c an allstar .

I like to live in the real world, not some fantasy "could have been" existence.

There were all sorts of red flags before the draft that Oden's physical difficulties would prevent him from having a normal career, and they turned out to be right.

Its useless to speculate on what would have been accomplished had he truly been healthy, because his history has shown that simply wasn't ever possible.
    Oden was not red flagged. People speculated that he could potentially see some injuries but most thought there would be no issue.

And if it's useless to speculate, this site should be shut down. We are here to speculate. We are here to talk about the possibilities. Our speculation hurts nothing and helps nothing. It's just a bit of fun. If you're too grumpy to have some fun and speculate, then piss off.

Gooner | Heat Nation EnoughSaid's Avatar

Why not? Even an injury-prone Oden is much better than anything we have at that center position. So once again, just like with Rashard, this would be low risk, high reward.

Oden was not red flagged. People speculated that he could potentially see some injuries but most thought there would be no issue.

And if it's useless to speculate, this site should be shut down. We are here to speculate. We are here to talk about the possibilities. Our speculation hurts nothing and helps nothing. It's just a bit of fun. If you're too grumpy to have some fun and speculate, then piss off.
    U mad bro?

Of course he was red-flagged. Before the draft, it was revealed that one leg was shorter than the other. Think that might be a problem for a 7-ft athlete in the NBA? He had a long history of injuries, including college.

Portland chose to ignore those concerns and paid dearly for it. I thought all along that Durant should have been the first pick.

As to your other point, fruitful, plausible speculation is always welcome. People who reach for things that aren't there, and can't deal with reality just lower the collective IQ on ISH.
    Last edited by Shepseskaf; 07-14-2012 at 11:44 AM.

he can take the designated Eddy Curry roster spot we seem to have for someone every year

Oden was not red flagged.
    I remember reading articles where people would point out the one leg shorter than the other thing, and how there was no way he could have a long career. Nobody listened because having a 7 footer who is actually good in the paint is a prospect that blinds most people.

Why not? Even an injury-prone Oden is much better than anything we have at that center position. So once again, just like with Rashard, this would be low risk, high reward.
    The difference is if you get used to having him on the floor and then he's injured for the playoffs. Now what do you do? You have to start completely over. It's actually pretty high-risk... is the reward high? Yes it is; a healthy Oden would be a perfect fit for the Heat, even if he's diminished from previous injury. But the risk isn't even a risk. It's a near-certainty that he won't be available for the playoffs.

U mad bro?

Of course he was red-flagged. Before the draft, it was revealed that one leg was shorter than the other. Think that might be a problem for a 7-ft athlete in the NBA? He had a long history of injuries, including college.

Portland chose to ignore those concerns and paid dearly for it. I thought all along that Durant should have been the first pick.

As to your other point, fruitful, plausible speculation is always welcome. People who reach for things that aren't there, and can't deal with reality just lower the collective IQ on ISH.
    Why would I be mad? I have no reason to be mad here. I am pumping up Oden when the discussion is about him going to the Miami Heat. In reality, I'd want to talk shit about Oden. And I also thought Durant > Oden all day everyday, but I still thought Oden would be a good player (if healthy).

My thoughts of him being a potential 20/10 player is completely plausible when you look at his stats and consider he had just scratched the surface of the game.

To be so closed minded as to shut out the opinion of another person is childish and a major problem humans have these days. Sure, Oden could have been what you say, a 14/10 or worse guy. But there were absolutely signs that he could've become a 20/10 guy, and to deny that is to be childish and unfair.