Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4111213141516 LastLast
    7-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Lebron vs Hakeem.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    What you think of MVP's is not really my concern. I simply made the point that they do matter...and they are hard to win.

However, Lebron has proven to be a lot better than Durant. Which is saying a lot since Durant has really improved his game this year tremendously. He's having a 28/8/5 season on some of the best efficiency ever...and he's improved his defense...on a 60 win team.

And Lebron is going to be a unanimous MVP....LOL
    You don't really "win" MVPs, you just play at a certain level and then hope for the most votes. Whether they matter or not is up to the individual. Personally, I don't see why a subjective award would matter.

As far as being unanimous, it's possible, but I don't know, we've seen some people get close, but if Shaq missed by 1 vote in 2000, then it's certainly no guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by All Net
    and Durant doesn't get much attention oddly.

Lately people have talked more about Melo.
    That's because Melo just went on a ridiculous hot streak while Durant has been playing closer to his usual level, which is great, but not difficult to see why Melo gets more attention lately.

Like I said...I just want consistency. I think it's a very weak argument to take Hakeem over Lebron and not Bird/Magic using playoff consistency...

But, of course, we have to see Lebron's career play out. He's got to win this year for sure to really get into this debate for real. A loss in the playoffs this year...combined with 10 and 11...and it will be just too much to overcome.

I've written about it in the past....one more black mark for Lebron in his prime and it's going to be hard for me to ever rank him above Duncan (who I have 6th all time)
    I don't disagree with much here except the first part. I don't think that logic lacks consistency at all considering Magic and Bird don't have the black marks to the extent Lebron does, and I think the last part of your post is a good example of why this matters. I agree that with one more of those, it will affect where I rank him. But because of that, he has to prove to me that he really has gotten past that with another great run. If he does that, then I can just look at him as a player more, and that may get him into my second tier with Hakeem, Shaq and Bird. My first tier is currently Jordan, Russell and Kareem, and I couldn't see myself ever putting Lebron right on their level.

Only numbers that matter

LeBron 1 Hakeem 2

Quote Originally Posted by crisoner
    Only numbers that matter

LeBron 1 Hakeem 2
    Can't just be about rings..

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    You don't really "win" MVPs, you just play at a certain level and then hope for the most votes. Whether they matter or not is up to the individual. Personally, I don't see why a subjective award would matter.

As far as being unanimous, it's possible, but I don't know, we've seen some people get close, but if Shaq missed by 1 vote in 2000, then it's certainly no guarantee.

That's because Melo just went on a ridiculous hot streak while Durant has been playing closer to his usual level, which is great, but not difficult to see why Melo gets more attention lately.

I don't disagree with much here except the first part. I don't think that logic lacks consistency at all considering Magic and Bird don't have the black marks to the extent Lebron does, and I think the last part of your post is a good example of why this matters. I agree that with one more of those, it will affect where I rank him. But because of that, he has to prove to me that he really has gotten past that with another great run. If he does that, then I can just look at him as a player more, and that may get him into my second tier with Hakeem, Shaq and Bird. My first tier is currently Jordan, Russell and Kareem, and I couldn't see myself ever putting Lebron right on their level.
    The subjective award matters because it is about what it represents. This is not to say that it means the best player always wins, but to win...you have to do some special things...and it does validate a certain level of player. It's a reflection of a certain level of play and team success....and absolutely should matter.

Magic and Lebron also never played in the difficult situations Lebron did....and again, they had their failings...especially Bird. Losing plenty of big games and series.

I'm fine with holding 11 over Lebron. Totally agree with it. But I still don't see, at this point, the makings of a strong argument that playoff consistency is hugely in favor of Magic or Bird.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Lebron would win the MVP by a mile no matter who voted.

The same questionable shit happened when the players voted. Wes Unseld won MVP over Wilt/Reed...while being factually worse....due to a team turnaround when he wasnt his teams best player. Reported to the playoffs to get swiftly swept and outplayed by Reed. hes not even an all star the following year.

Not hating on Wes...just saying. The players get swept up in the same hype the media does. The old US basketball writers MVP had the exact same results as the players every year but one...when they gave it to Wilt not Oscar. The sporting News MVP was the same as the player voted MVP all but 2 years from the 50s to the 80s...once they gave it to Nate Archibald(Led the league in scoring and assists) instead of Dave Cowens. neither gave it to Kareem...who did 30/16/5 on a 60 win team. The other year they had it different was giving it to Bernard King instead of Bird and Bernard was second in the NBA vote.

It would be the same no matter who votes damn near ever year.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    True, but it is a little weird that Durant's capping off a 28-8-5-2-1, 51/42/91 season on a 60 win team and it's almost becoming a mere footnote to the 2012-2013 season.

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    True, but it is little weird that Durant's capping off a 28-8-5-2-1, 51/42/91 season on a 60 win team and it's almost becoming a mere footnote to the 2012-2013 season.
    Probably because of westbrooks excellent play post all star break kinda overshadowing kd's season

If LeBron becomes the first unanimous MVP in the history, it will be a huge disgrace to the award history. What I mean is if Shaq didn't get all the 1st place votes in 1999-00 season(120 out of 121), LeBron does not deserve being the first unanimour MVP.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    True, but it is a little weird that Durant's capping off a 28-8-5-2-1, 51/42/91 season on a 60 win team and it's almost becoming a mere footnote to the 2012-2013 season.
    Greatness of Lebron, the Miami win streak, Melo getting hot, Kobe...

But mainly...market. Which is hugely unfair, but if Durant was doing that in NYC as the best player of a 61 win team...it would be perceived completely different.

Greatness of Lebron, the Miami win streak, Melo getting hot, Kobe...

But mainly...market. Which is hugely unfair, but if Durant was doing that in NYC as the best player of a 61 win team...it would be perceived completely different.
    Yeah, I think the market has the most to do with it. LeBron's insane season, too, but if Durant was doing this in New York or LA, people would be losing their shit. He could cure a lot of that by winning a title this year, but no one's beating the Heat 4 times in 7 games this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Odinn
    If LeBron becomes the first unanimous MVP in the history, it will be a huge disgrace to the award history. What I mean is if Shaq didn't get all the 1st place votes in 1999-00 season(120 out of 121), LeBron does not deserve being the first unanimour MVP.
    Chamberlain not winning in '62 was, by far, the most disgraceful voting in league history. In fact, he was slighted his entire career. How about his '67 season, when he carried his team to a then best-ever mark of 69-13? He "only" received 80 out of the 105 total first place votes.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Chamberlain not winning in '62 was, by far, the most disgraceful voting in league history. In fact, he was slighted his entire career. How about his '67 season, when he carried his team to a then best-ever mark of 69-13? He "only" received 80 out of the 105 total first place votes.
    Wilt probably had an honest 50 triple doubles that year and was probably double digits into quadruple doubles as well in '67 but blocks weren't counted. But he averaged 24 ppg which is left than half of what he averaged when he didn't win it in '62 and had 25 rebound to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    Wilt probably had an honest 50 triple doubles that year and was probably double digits into quadruple doubles as well in '67 but blocks weren't counted. But he averaged 24 ppg which is left than half of what he averaged when he didn't win it in '62 and had 25 rebound to boot.
    What was really compelling about the '62 voting, was that Chamberlain won by a large margin in his rookie season, playing on a team that had been i last place the year before, and taking them to a 49-26 record. Russell was a distant second that year in the voting, on a team that went 59-16.

In the '62 season, Russell's numbers were nearly identical to his '60 stats, ad his team record was similar, at 60-20. Wilt raised his '60 numbers significantly, and took that same basic roster, only older and with players playing worse, to a 49-31 record. And yet, he was well down behind Russell in the voting (51-9 in first place votes), and in fact, Oscar playing on a 43-37 team, had more first-place votes (13.)

But here again, go back and take a look at the MVP voting in every season in which Chamberlain played. There was certainly a suspicion of a conspiracy.

Someone honestly answer me.

If Lebron played a subpar game, would the Heat lose?
    If Wade played a bad game, would the Heat lose?
    If Bosh disappeared the whole game, would the Heat lose?

If Hakeem played a subpar game, would the Rockets lose?

There goes your answer. Hakeem's 1 ring is far more valuable than 3 of Lebron's. This is just the truth. Nothing but the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by ripthekik
    Someone honestly answer me.

If Lebron played a subpar game, would the Heat lose?
    If Wade played a bad game, would the Heat lose?
    If Bosh disappeared the whole game, would the Heat lose?

If Hakeem played a subpar game, would the Rockets lose?

There goes your answer. Hakeem's 1 ring is far more valuable than 3 of Lebron's. This is just the truth. Nothing but the truth.

No thats your opinion...Actually 1 ring = 1 ring your hate for lebron causes you to make outlandish statements...

Well in the 2011 finals lebron played bad and they loss so that's your answer