Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Kareem is Overrated

Quote Originally Posted by GS1905
    Then why didn't Kareem win with the Lakers before Magic arrived? Magic was a rookie but he had one of the best rookie seasons ever. He was ready for Nba so it doesn't matter that he was a rookie. He scored close to 1500 points in his rookie season as a PG for gods sake.

FYI Magic only played 2 seasons after Kareem retired because of HIV and he took that garbage Lakers team to the finals in '91.
    I actually agree that jabaar is a little overrated when his career is put into context. He'd wouldn't have a lot of his mvps in julius erving and a few other players hadn't joined the aba. And his inability to win more than once in thhe 70s is also a huge blemish.

But based on what he did and accomplished he's not overrated. He's arguably more decorated than jordan.

Its just real hypocritical way of thinking. Certain players careers a totally diminished by some people cuz they don't want to look at each players individual situation. But other players career sucha as kareems are nearly as scrutinized.

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

You're the one who brought it up in that thread but I was already thinking the same thing and posted that on a different thread before. So it has nothing to do with you.

ok, you addressed the minor point point and avoided the major point

THAT kareem's era was STACKED with great centers....and he still was THE dominant center and player in the NBA in the 1970s...

how can it be a weak era when the position was loaded with all time great centers...?

Local High School Star Joey Zaza's Avatar

Then why didn't Kareem win with the Lakers before Magic arrived? Magic was a rookie but he had one of the best rookie seasons ever. He was ready for Nba so it doesn't matter that he was a rookie. He scored close to 1500 points in his rookie season as a PG for gods sake.

FYI Magic only played 2 seasons after Kareem retired because of HIV and he took that garbage Lakers team to the finals in '91.
    Lets be real clear, KAJ was the best player in the league for a decade...I don't care how "weak" the era was, out of all the people being paid to play basketball and dedicating their entire lives to the sport for a period of 10 years - he was the best one. That's 10 years, easily ...maybe more, where he destroyed the league at every stop. He scored the most points. Had the most rebounds. Just the best one.

Is the whole argument is that he only won 1 title before he won another 4 on a better built team with better teammates?

News flash EVERY SINGLE PLAYER IN HISTORY has won titles with teammates. The overwhelming majority of them won titles with All-Star, HoF quality teammates. So if KAJ is overrated because he only won 1 title without Magic, then MJ is overrated because he won 0 without Pippen, Bird is overrated because he won 0 without McHael/Parrish, Magic is overrated because he won 0 without Kareem.

By your argument, who isn't overrated? Who is this magical player that with his own awesomeness took a bunch of guys, taught them to dribble, followed all their misses with dunks and through sheer force of will got a title.

Banned

Kareem has a case for being the greatest NBA player ever, yet nobody thinks he is the greatest ever. So how is he underrated?

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Friday
    Kareem has a case for being the greatest NBA player ever, yet nobody thinks he is the greatest ever. So how is he underrated?
    I only recall two players ever saying Kareem was GOAT.

Walt Frazier

[quote]He encompassed everything, no matter what standard you want to measure greatness by. Winning? He won championships in grade school, high school, college, and the pros. Scoring? He scored more points than anyone in league history. Longevity? He played 20 seasons in the NBA. He was also respected as a team player. He could have scored many more points if he had been a selfish player.

It

Quote Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r

Walt Frazier

and Isiah Thomas.
    Also Dr. J;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8bIDEtpOMs

Clippers ALL DAY

Anyone who has Kareem in their top 5 is stupid. Kareem is #6 at best.

ThaSwagg3r
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Anyone who has Kareem in their top 5 is stupid. Kareem is #6 at best.

Find 5 players that have a better resume than this....

Banned

OP does make some really good points here.

[QUOTE=ThaSwagg3r]

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Odinn
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r

Walt Frazier

and Isiah Thomas.
    Also Dr. J;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8bIDEtpOMs
    You're right, sir. I'd forgotten about J. I stand corrected.

Banned

[QUOTE=ThaSwagg3r]

Clippers ALL DAY

[QUOTE=ThaSwagg3r]

ThaSwagg3r
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by Odinn
    Hush. He's a teenager from Turkey who didn't even watch a entire game from a peak-Kareem.
    You don't even have need to watch a game from Kareem to know how great he was. His resume and accomplishments already speak for itself.

Troll who tries to provoke you

[QUOTE=ThaSwagg3r]