Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default did melo really just say that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MolEo...eature=related

"my thing is to get into the gym, and get out. No need to be in the gym, 3-4-5 hours, 45 minutes to an hour get it done"

WOW REALLY? Its VERY sad when someone who has the ability that he has doesnt maximize his talents. Whats the line from a Bronx Tale? Saddest thing is wasted talent? smh at melo's comments

Default Re: did melo really just say that?

practice? are we talking about practice?
    guys with tats and arm sleeves dont practice.

Banned

That doesn't have anything to do with his struggles, he's clearly lost a step.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PHaYze
    That doesn't have anything to do with his struggles, he's clearly lost a step.

Waste of flesh and talent.

NBA Superstar

To be completely truthful, I totally understand where he's coming from. Richard Hamilton said something similar during his prime. Hamilton was a player who subscribed to submitting one hour of very hard work as opposed to four hours of medium level work or dabbling. Further, he stated he liked going on legit runs of a short length as opposed to extended jogging.

Personally, I think there's something to it. Through my years, I've found that going as hard as possible over two hours every single day is nearly impossible. I've known a lot of folks who assumed more time in the gym meant more development. I have not always found that to be the case. More often, one's development is completely based on what one does with their time. I think an hour is enough time to get a lot of development done in the basketball sense.

I'm also assuming this time Carmelo speaks of is different from lifting/conditioning/film.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 03-09-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    To be completely truthful, I totally understand where he's coming from. Richard Hamilton said something similar during his prime. Hamilton was a player who subscribed to submitting one hour of very hard work as opposed to four hours of medium level work or dabbling. Further, he stated he liked going on legit runs of a short length as opposed to extended jogging.

Personally, I think there's something to it. Through my years, I've found that going as hard as possible over two hours every single day is nearly impossible. I've known a lot of folks who assumed more time in the gym meant more development. I have not always found that to be the case. More often, one's development is completely based on what one does with their time. I think an hour is enough time to get a lot of development done in the basketball sense.

I'm also assuming this time Carmelo speaks of is different from lifting/conditioning/film.
    look at all the great champions in the nba... mj LIVED to practice, bird LIVED to practice, same for kobe, same for olajuwon. you think these guys put in 45 minutes ? I like melo but I'M SORRY, you're a professional, learn to get your ass in the gym for 2-3 hours. The only way you get great is through repetition, not just resting on your god given talents.

LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

I agree with him.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204

Working out for 2-3-4 hours doesn't mean you have to slack off either. Can you imagine Kobe or MJ dicking around a whole lot in the gym?

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Knicksfever2010
    look at all the great champions in the nba... mj LIVED to practice, bird LIVED to practice, same for kobe, same for olajuwon. you think these guys put in 45 minutes ? I like melo but I'M SORRY, you're a professional, learn to get your ass in the gym for 2-3 hours. The only way you get great is through repetition, not just resting on your god given talents.
    I cannot watch the video right now, so I'm only going off your quote. As such, I could be missing some context. Even if all the greats truly put in three hours of practice every off day during the season, I suppose that's what would help in making them some of the ten best players of all-time. Anthony is great, but I do not see why he's automatically thrown into the "Top Ten of All-Time" fold.

Out of true curiosity, what do you guys think a typical three hour practice session looked like for a guy like Larry Bird?

An Icon Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Knicksfever2010

how many hours a day did michael jordan, kobe bryant, larry bird and hakeem olajuwon practice?

NBA rookie of the year

Glenn Robinson 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    Waste of flesh and talent.
    Goddamn, man.

maybe he means only this season because you need your rest

Decent playground baller ballashotcalla's Avatar

he likes to reflect afterwards eating 4-5 bags of chips.